5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form with all promises delivered.
Published 11 months ago by FellDian

3.0 out of 5 stars One step Forward, One Step Back
This game is not unique. It can't be as an eighth installment, or should I say remake? After all, the essence of the DW franchise has been to bring history to life, albeit through the use of exaggerated weaponry and eccentric characters. Always based on 'The Romance of the Three Kingdoms' written by Luo Guanzhong, Dynasty Warriors follows the separate factions carve a...
Published 11 months ago by J. Clarke

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form with all promises delivered., 19 July 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) (Video Game)
At the start of this review I have currently beaten the Wei campaign and am working through the Wu campaign, and it has been perfect from the get go. Koei truly delivered this time with a perfectly rounded DW experience. The story is spot on, the new characters flesh out the battles and push the narrative further. I have been playing this series since Dynasty Warriors 3 (With the exception of 6) and this has been innovative and fresh.

The new weapons system is astounding, every character now has their own unique weapons, but no one is limited to what they can and can't use. The new rock-paper-scissors (Heaven, Earth, Man.) battle system is engaging and can add difficulty without punishing the player. The addition of levels that merely unlock more attacks and add stats improves from the old system of having to get high combos in order to get good stat drops. The weapon drops themselves are interesting as well, you have an infinite number of weapon slots and are able to gather multiple versions of the same weapon with different seals or damage values. I haven't experimented with the forging system yet, but allowing the player to sell off useless weapons for gold helps keep the game going without the need to repeatedly run missions for rewards. Finally, the rage mechanic and musuo upgrades allow the player to really shine in combat scenarios.

The campaign itself is very similar to Dynasty Warriors 7, each side has their own story which goes through all the major battles. The most significant change would be the addition of character choice, every battle has at least two characters to pick from (Wan Castle Ambush only allows Cao Cao or Dian Wei) where as others offer up to four. The "pre-battle camp" returns on some stages, where as other missions through you straight into the action after the cutscene. The maps have had a huge face-lift and they are not tweaked versions of the previous map sets. Several new maps have been added as well for changing scenery. The change that I like the most is the inclusion of "What If" missions. Back in Dynasty Warriors 3 if you saved Pang Tong from the ambush he continued to be part of the missions afterwards, though with no real effect, in this new form if you save Dian Wei at the ambush or prevent Guo Jia from passing away it alters the progression of the campaign and allows different outcomes and an alternate ending away from the historical ending.

Ambition mode is quite intriguing, though I haven't given it much attention past the tutorial stage. It seems to be a mash-up of DW7 Xtreme Legend's Legend Mode where you develop a town with DW7's conquest mode for building relationships with officers and unlocking special weapons. The tag-team set up is just like Dynasty Warriors 4's joint-musuo attack system where if you were close to another player you could unleash a devastating attack, though this time with NPCs. Each NPC character has special skills that they employ in the battles and the battle types are interesting, but not as fun as the campaign. More a means to an end than anything else. Each NPC has their own special missions, but I have yet to experience them.

All in all, Koei has truly fixed what was wrong with the battle mechanics, removed the dull grey wallpaper and applied a bright new coat of paint to the tried and tested game play that the fans enjoyed. The character designs themselves have finally hit that "We're serious, we look normal and we aren't wearing micro bikinis" style where they look authentic and not outlandish. Not including Zhang Jiao, but he is crazy.

Push comes to shove, this is easily a 5/5 game. Fans will enjoy it, new players can jump right in and you do feel rewarded for the time invested into the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars A guilty pleasure game, 26 Aug 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) (Video Game)
The Dynasty Warriors franchise has always been my guilty pleasure. They are easy hack and slash games and this is no exception. But, it is just so fun to pick up and play. Not really difficult and repetitive as hell, but slicing down thousands of soldiers each level can really help after work!

4.0 out of 5 stars strength to strength, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) (Video Game)
the best dw of this generation, all characters (over 70 of them) now have completely unique movesets and weaponry, the battles themselves feel more kinetic, every weapon has a "type" that must be used in a kind of "rock/paper/scissors" duel with enemy officers, and theres even a town-building mode where you turn your small town from a few huts to a bustling city with advanced weaponmaking and other facilities.

my only complaint is that there is still a story mode for each faction, forcing you to choose one from a few officers, rather than each officer having their own storyline (although this is understandable given the sheer size of the cast)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet again, another masterpiece., 8 April 2014
This review is from: Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) (Video Game)
Great graphics, awesome characters and a fun story, Dynasty Warriors has done it again with their eighth installment. Anyone who is a fan of the DW series need look no further and purchase this awesome game.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Yet?, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) (Video Game)
I first played DW starting with number 2 and I bought the Xtreme Legends packs too. Each game offered something new and I could play them for a very long time before getting bored.
I don't think I played 5 so skip to Dynasty warriors 6... What a let down. The worst yet, I got Empires which only made it better because you could go around taking over each territory in a separate mode.
I never bothered with 7, then I caught a look at number 8 and had to buy it.

I'm very impressed with this one. I did hear it's very similar to 7 just with added extras. My faith in DW has been completely restored with this game. Something I always liked about DW is the stage redesigns they make in later releases. All new stages in this one, weapon collection taking me back to the old school DW. No roll feature is a shame but its not all that necessary.
One of my favourite things is the second weapon feature plus the weapon affinity. Its a really good touch to the game.
Very nice effort with giving everyone their own weapons and combo's too. Some of the weapons don't make all that much sense (snooker cue anyone?) but if variety is what you are after it's definitely here! I haven't played online with anyone so cant review the online mode.

The skills list is another nice feature, and certainly gives a reason to keep playing if you want to max your skills out, although the only ones I ever use is extra range, extra exp, musou fill and rage fill...But if you wish for more health or attack/defence etc the options are there to suit everyone's style.

Musou and Rage... I love this. The reason I have musou and rage fill is because its so much fun obliterating hundreds of enemies in minutes. Standard, jumping, and secondary musou can be used(when unlocked) and each one differing from straight to spread attack. Rage makes you a maniac and using musou in this state is the best part for me.

Ambition mode... A lot better than the previous taking over territory scenarios. Build your camp and acquire materials, fame or officers to help it grow so you can welcome the emperor. I haven't finished this mode yet but I'm liking it a lot. This game would certainly be even better with 2 players. Shame there is no versus battle (unless I just didnt find it) or challenges but over all it's a very solid game. Even going out of their way to finally pronounce the characters names correctly! So be warned if you are used to saying "sun say" and now hear it as "sun su-"

Is it the best yet? No, but with each game offering something unique, how could any of them be? However if I had to choose only one of the games, it would probably be this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS GAME, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) (Video Game)
Arrived on time and all that jazz..

I have been a DW fan for a long time and i was stoked to buy this game.

Have just got my Girlfriend into it too and we both love hacking down hundreds of enemies in a nano second..

Wicked game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Game!, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) (Video Game)
I'd lost track of the Dynasty Warriors series after the 5th game due to concentrating on studies, but when I saw the advert for this at the back of a PS3 magazine, I knew I had to buy it. I was not disappointed, this is a brilliant game with many different storylines, much more than the original games. A defninite must-buy for any fans of the series!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like DW, you will like DW8, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) (Video Game)
I've played all DW titles, and this is the best one, apart from DW6 Empires.
Lots of characters, lots of weapons, lots of maps and three different game modes keep you entertained for weeks, if not months.

However, there are three things that have been annoying since the beginning, escecially in hard and chaos difficulty (though I cannot remember if there were horses in the first part).

- Yes, the stupid horse. It takes too long for it to show up, especially in hard and chaos difficulty. Then you have to press the referring button repeatedly to get on that mentally deficient mule. In chaos mode this can result in you being slain by the enemy before you can mount that damn mule.

- You have to learn the maps, otherwise you can get mightily confused in the heat of the battle and run or ride up a blind alley.

- Then there are the enemies... they like to jump and stab you from behind, so most of the time your avatar is fighting while facing the screen, and you have to look at the map to locate your enemy officer, which means you miss the fighting action on the screen. You can turn the view around with L1, but that feature is too slow in chaos mode.
Defending is a drag as in each and every DW part. Seldomly you stand right to keep up your defense against an enemy officer.

However, this arcade game is really entertaining, so I give it four stars out of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Edition., 14 Aug 2013
Mr. A. Hayward (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) (Video Game)
I heard this was the definitive edition of dynasty warriors and I was hesitant whether it would live up to that. It did and surpassed my expectations for a game. Only downside is that the price isn't coming down as quick as I'd of liked. That I guess is due to popularity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dynasty Warriors 8, it never gets too old, 12 Aug 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) (Video Game)
I have been playing the Dynasty Warriors games since Dynasty Warriors 2 on the PS2 and from then up to now I'd say I've owned a fair few of the games in the series, including the crossover games Warriors Orochi 1 and 2, even Dynasty Tactics 1 and 2 back on the PS2 as well.

The combat is great, it is the same hack n slash action, which sees the return of all the great warriors, some of the move sets have been altered slightly for the likes of Sun Jian, he plays either like he did or Yuan Shao did back in DW 2.

A great improvement by leaps and bounds involves the horses, you can summon them whilst holding the button to immediately mount them, it used to bug me trying to get on and they'd move around.

The weapon management is a bit different and at times I found myself running out of space, once you get the hang of it though it is an interesting feature which is utilised more so during the Ambition Mode.

The story mode thus far has been good, my standard procedure is to start with the Kingdom of Wei, which I have completed both endings for as well as Wu and Shu's 1st endings and I am currently playing through the Kingdom of Jin campaign, one thing which I thought was a bit of a downer was the lack of a really solid story for the Other officers, like in some of the previous titles, so far they seem to have one stage each but I haven't got all of them yet.

I'm sure the Ambition Mode is based on something from a previous title but its a neat little bonus mode with a town management system and participation in battles for Fame, Materials and the acquisition of Allies.

I really can't say that there are that many bad things about the game besides the odd glitch here and there, its a lot of fun for returning fans even if it is the same old stuff again, I am not disappointed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3)
Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3) by Koei (PlayStation 3)
29.00