5.0 out of 5 stars My shoulders hurt from all the slinkingl
Two disclaimers first off, I had never actually heard of Caro Emerald before I bought this album and I don't like Jazz
(It bodes well doesn't it ha ha)

I bought this as album of the week as a risk and boy has it paid off. It trasnforms me to a smokey American underground bar during prohibition - and if an album can do that then it has to be good...
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing
I expected more. Can not be compared with the previous CD - as a matter of fact sounds like the recycled pale copy of the previous work...
Published 14 months ago by Ivan Djordjevic

5.0 out of 5 stars My shoulders hurt from all the slinkingl, 12 May 2013
Amazon Customer (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
(It bodes well doesn't it ha ha)

A couple of the songs are similiar, they follow the same sort of deep slinky bass and beat and the lyrics are all incredible, sometimes funny, sometimes poignant but always sung perfectly

There is a hint of Amy Winehouse here, except I wasn't a fan of hers either, I think this is what Amy fans kept trying to tell me I was missing by not "getting" her music. Now I have to tell them that this is what they should be listening to

This is a quality album, both in length, style and beyond a doubt, the slink!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 6 May 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This is a perfectly decent follow-up album from Caro Emerald. She is a very good singer, that enjoyable fusion of swing and modern sounds is still there and some of the material here is good. People like me who found Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor such an original and joyous treat will certainly like it, but for me the terrific musical zing and zest which I loved in Deleted Scenes isn't quite there on this album.

Part of this is that Miss Emerald isn't really at all shocking here, but plays it pretty safe. The old sense of a bunch of really good musicians having a great time has been overlaid and dimmed by a much more expensive, corporate gloss. Sweeping strings and slicker, more impersonal production have largely driven out the immediacy of the terrific, gutsy brass section, for example, so the humorous twinkle of Dr Wannado, the irresistible swing of That Man and the infectious beat of Back It Up are harder to find here. Some of it is great, and there's a lovely light feel to songs like Completely, Pack Up The Louie and Liquid Lunch, but this is an album which seems to take itself far more seriously than Deleted Scenes, and for me it loses something as a result.

I don't want to carp; plenty of people will love this, and fair enough. I do like it - it's just that for me it lacks the real sparkle which made Deleted Scenes such a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd - worth the wait, 11 May 2013
bought the first cd 'deleted scenes from the cutting room floor' and loved it - couldnt wait for another cd by this talented artist, arrived two days ago and havent stopped playing it yet - better than the first. Love 'Pack up the louis' and 'liquid lunch' especially.

4.0 out of 5 stars A get up and dance cd., 6 May 2013
I think this is just what you need at a Party or BBQ to get the pace moving. It begins like a film score, but by the time you get to Track four, you will be bopping all round the room. Excellent stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully shocking!, 12 July 2013
Mrs. M. Little "Little readings" (West Wales,U.K.) - See all my reviews
Lovely Argentinian tango rhythms and really interesting lyrics, often with humour make this cd a delight. to listen to day or night!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 10 Sep 2013
P. Marshall (France) - See all my reviews
Bought this in May. Wasn't impressed after "Scenes From" etc. and left it on the shelf.... Just played the album again (Sept 13).... and, WHAT!! There was clearly something wrong with my ears, brain or both. This is a fantastic album. So glad I found it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, 27 July 2013
The Shocking Miss Emerald... On VINYL = AWESOME!

Really well presented double album... Highly polished presentation... And possibly the most befitting way to listen to Caro & The Boys... (Apart from live)!

Very well packaged and arrived on time...

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely fabulous, 18 May 2013
I already have "Deleted Scenes" and it's hardly been out of my CD player since I bought it, so I had been looking forward to "The Shocking Miss Emerald" for quite a while. I've had it less than a week and played it about 20 times already.

It is an excellent sequel to "Deleted Scenes" and contains some likely singles. "Tangled Up" is obviously already well known and since the BBC radio two TV concert, so is "Pack up the Louie" and "Liquid Lunch". But I also think "Black Valentine" and "Paris" are wonderful songs - very moody and quite slow but so evocative of time and place.

Mention has already been made in one or two other reviews of the band and I too think that all members deserve credit for their contribution, but especially the guitarist [Wieger Hoogendorp] who has a lovely solo in "Liquid Lunch". There is more orchestration on the album and there is a definite film theme idea going on, which starts with the Intro and continues throughout. My only criticism [and it's small] is that I feel there should be a closing coda to match the intro.

As with "Deleted Scenes" all tracks are very rhythmic and many have a Latin dance beat which helps to give the album an exotic, romantic feeling, which coupled with the 1940s film score flavour and songs like "Pack up the Louie" really make for fantastic escapism.

What a breath of fresh air Caro Emerald and her band have proved to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again!, 22 July 2013
This review is from: The Shocking Miss Emerald (MP3 Download)
I fell in love with Caro's first album and thought that there was no way a second album could live up to the standard she has set herself...I was wrong! It took a few times to listen to this album but once you get to know the songs you realise they are just as good as those on the first album. A gorgeous voice backed up by gorgeous wonderful sounding instruments. She is so different to anybody else out there at the moment. Love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gets better, 14 July 2013
I loved the first album, and this one did not disappoint. Bought the vinyl version it sounds outstanding. would recommend.

The Shocking Miss Emerald