I've had to totally rewrite my review from a 1 star review to a 5 star review, because believe it or not, I was sent a fake cable by the Amazon seller "NiceVisionLondon" (do not purchase from this seller!).

Published 15 months ago by N. Gilbert

1.0 out of 5 stars Steve7536
Published 9 months ago by Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable when genuine but beware of FAKE cables from Amazon marketplace sellers, 23 Sep 2013

Following my previous review, I was contacted by Belkin who told me my cable was very likely to be a fake. I didn't personally think anyone would bother to fake a £14 cable, but Belkin sent me a free replacement so I could compare the two. The fake is extremely good quality, but the cable itself was reported as "not Apple certified" by the iPhone whenever I plugged it in and the cable didn't work on USB 3 ports at all.

How to check if you've got a fake cable:

1. There are (very) minor packaging differences on the boxes, which include a couple of typos. eg the box has a message to Australian users at the bottom right of the back of the box in fine print, but on the fake box all the letter t's are missing from this particular sentence, but these are present on the real box I got sent from Belkin. On the cable itself, the fattest part of the connector at the lightning end is about 2mm longer on the real cable than on the fake one. I have posted a comparison photo as a "customer photo" for this product.

2. Another way to tell if the cable is real is to try and use it to charge your phone on an iOS 7 device (it must be iOS 7, not iOS 6!). For most fake cables, this will immediately cause an on-screen message saying that the device is "not Apple certified and may not work reliably with your iPhone". If this message appears, the cable is fake and not a proper Belkin cable.

The real Belkin cable works fine and doesn't have any of the problems. Belkin were very helpful with this issue.

To avoid the problems I had, I would advice you only purchase from Belkin approved sellers such as Amazon direct (not marketplace sellers) to avoid any risk of buying a fake. However one or two marketplace sellers such as BESTBUYIT are actually approved Belkin resellers according to Belkin.

Be aware though the connector on the Belkin cable is slightly fatter than an Apple cable, so may not fit through all bumpers/cases.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, 28 Jun 2013
Nice quality cable, not at all flimsy like some others on offer. Charges my iPhone 5 fine and feels robust. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality genuine cable, 27 April 2013
J. Heenan (UK) - See all my reviews
** WARNING ** It is suspected that some of the cables listed here by third party resellers are not genuine belkin cables and do not work properly with iOS 7; please be aware when ordering, or only by cables sold by amazon.co.uk, not marketplace sellers ** WARNING **

Just bought one of these as an additional cable, did a thorough comparison with the Apple cable that came with my iPhone 5 - here's the key points:

* This cable comes in black - great if you want the cable to match your black iphone, or for use with an in-car mount where the white cables tend to reflect into the windscreen
* Cost is lower than the Apple cable
* The 1.2m cable is about 19cm longer than the standard Apple cable
* Build quality seems as good
* The cable on the Belkin cable is slightly thicker - perhaps this might mean it's more robust
* The USB connector rear part is longer than the Apple one, making it easier to pull out
* The lightning connector surround is longer and wider than the Apple one. The width might cause an issue if you have a case that is tight on space around the connector - although it was fine with my poetic bumper (Poetic Up-Tempo Bumper With Leather Grip Case for iPhone 5 Grey/Black)
* The cable works absolutely fine for both sync & charging (including the lightning connector working when inserted either way - often a problem with clone cables)

Overall I'm very happy with this cable so far.

1.0 out of 5 stars Steve7536, 25 Feb 2014
I bought this cable as its brand name and i thought it might be better then the cheap rubbish you can get from markets! How wrong could i be! Within 1 week the cable broke at the end that connects into the phone! I emailed them and heard nothing back several times! My girlfriend had a car charger made by them and that lasted 3 months then had the same issue! Wont be buying this brand again

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine., 17 Jun 2013
I bought this after buying cheaper versions which worked maybe once then nothing. Belkin is a name I always trust so decided to buy as a spare. It works, it might not charge as fast as my Apple one but let's face it is any going to charge as fast as the original? It does still charge at a reasonable rate so don't let that put you off. Slightly longer than my Apple one too which is always a useful thing. If looking for a cheaper alternative to Apple originals then go for this. It maybe 3 times the price of other cheaper versions but I wish I had just bought this to start with other than those fiver "bargains".

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lightning lead, 17 Dec 2013
This is a very well made lead & seems to be sturdier than the supplied Apple part. The lightning plug is a bit bulkier which may cause problems with some cases but not with the soft neoprene case I use. The extra length compared to the standard Apple lead is helpful when I'm using the phone in bed whilst it's on charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, 19 Nov 2013
I keep reading about buying leads on amazon for iphone or ipad that don't work, these do, a lot more expensive than some that are on here but they work and are slightly longer as well, of course they are cheaper than from apple.

1.0 out of 5 stars may as well buy a £1 one, 13 Mar 2014
awful, was bought for me a few weeks ago, hasn't worked properly for the past week and has just snapped, don't buy one

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poorly made..., 9 Mar 2014
I bought this item because I wanted every member of my family to have a different coloured lightening cable. I bought three altogether. The first one broke the first time it was used. The second one was broken within 24 hours and the third fell apart within a week. They all broke in exactly the same way: The piece that fits into the iPad simply came away from the rest of the cable.

At first I thought perhaps one of the children had been a bit rough and it might be our fault. By even with extra careful handling my own cable broke ridiculously quickly. This item is simply not made to a good enough standard. It's rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRRIBLE product but descent returns department, 13 Mar 2014
It broke after 2 uses, obviously not really belkin charger but a fake terrible quality and not worth the money at all. But on the bright side the returning it after it broke was easy and they covered the charge.