4.0 out of 5 stars Great where it counts..picture quality!
Published 14 months ago by D. Tripathi

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I bought this camera with high expectations, having had good results from the TZ10. One of the main features which swung my decision was the inclusion of an EVF.

However, I have found the images are not up to the standard of the TZ10 - they are dull in comparison. I have been in touch with Panasonic, sent them test shots from both cameras, and, surprise...
Published 18 months ago by Mrs. M. Eager

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great where it counts..picture quality!, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-LF1EB-K Lumix Compact Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP) 3.0 inch LCD (Electronics)
I have had a number of "Bridge" cameras. Tried Nikon P series but could not live with the unreliable focus and slow write times for raw photos. I had the Canon S100 which was a fantastic camera and one I would still recommend. However, I really wanted a veiwfinder and a bit more zoom. This is the answer. Perhaps does not feel as solid as the Canon but it is very light and also has a metal body. The viewfinder is not brilliant but is very useful in bright light and also to keep the camera steady.

The picture is very good and matches the Canon in most respects and beats the Canon in low light handheld shots without flash . These are truly amazing (especially if you use raw where the finest details are preserved) with lifelike colours and no blur. The image stablilisation is a winner. The flash photos come out nice too, although colours not completely true to the original. Outdoor shots very sharp and the lens quality really shines.

Video cannot match a dedicated camcorder, but better than average for a camera. There is some judder but sound is pretty good. The extra zoom is useful here.

The main criticism I have is that the power button and the shutter button are right next to each other. I have at times inadvertently shut down the camera when I meant to take a shot! The battery life is not great but you can always get a spare battery for not much outlay.

This may not quite match the likes of RX100 but it is cheaper, has a built in viewfinder, and is even more pocketable. The zoom is considerably more versatile. The camera is highly rated by Consumers' Association in the UK and US.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth it, 4 Oct. 2013
My initial impressions on day of receipt. The principle feature I was prepared to pay for was a viewfinder, in this case EVF. Yes it's small but will be sufficient to frame the shot in bright sunlight and/or snow. Next a "sensible" zoom. Having just bought a Sony NEX-5 for different duties I knew that 100mm equivalent wasn't going to be enough for travel P&S. The LF1 offers about 200mm equivalent compared with the 90 ish of low zoom quality compacts. In any event I had rejected some well reviewed quality compacts due to the absence of a viewfinder. So a well balanced specification. I like the large control ring but still getting to grips with which settings to configure the ring for.

Initial impressions are that the LF1 is producing a good natural picture compared with the over-saturated picture (even in non-EXR modes) of the Fuji F750EXR which is being replaced.

I paid what I had to pay to get a quality compact with an EVR and mid-range zoom. Not disappointed and delighted with the compactness and quality feel.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera, 4 Feb. 2014
but didn't give it five stars because the viewfinder isn't that great, and the battery life isn't wonderful, but I'm being picky - I am using the LF1 as a back up to my G5 and it's ideal just to slip in a pocket and use to a get a quick shot - it's good wide, reasonable close up and with a decent zoom - 4.5 stars is about right, highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture, 18 May 2014
Bought this as a Christmas present last year for the other half so have had some experience now in it's use. What a great quality picture in both colour and detail. So much better than the Nikon D60 I gave her a few years ago. Overall this is a solid and quality product. Also good to have a through the lens eye piece as well as a screen being so much better in strong sunlight - rare to get this feature on most compact digitals these days. The only niggle is the wifi - next to useless in what you can do with this feature but if that's unimportant to you I'd highly recommend this camera if you can get it at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars viewfinder clinched this for me, 2 Jan. 2014
P. Collins (Essex,England.) - See all my reviews
The electronic viewfinder makes this the choice for me. Lumix are great cameras and this has all normal features and fits easily into pocket. Used it on recent trip to Honk Kong and China and really pleased with results. electronic veiwfinder would be better if larger, but to it s credit can adjust for eye focus and give full view of actual photo including any adjustments. On autu plus, can adj easily for light, colour and depth of field: this is a great feature and I have not seen this on other cameras.
I also use a fugi x s1, which I love, but is quite heavy. The LF 1 takes as good pictures.
A great travelling companion and really small for the features.

I notice Leica have now bought it out with their badge, for £200 more, so they must be imprest ! Would happily recommend it.

Have had this 6 months now and it goes everywhere with me, just slips in the pocket. My fugi is being used less and less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive... maybe. Worth it... definitely!, 14 Jan. 2014
M. BERNARD (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This may appear to many to be a very expensive camera, when there are so many cheap models on the market but as is often in life looks can be deceiving! Let me start by saying this little camera is never going to beat a dSLR in any noise,resolution, dynamic range and other image quality stakes but it can give them a run for their money!

My wife steered me towards this camera as she insists on having a viewfinder to compose with when the sun is out, making using any rear mounted LCD very difficult. The problem is very few compact cameras have any viewfinders theses days! The few models that do have a viewfinder are often a little too big to be pocketable. This Panasonic LF1 is almost certainly the smallest camera with a viewfinder (electronic) and coupled with the very usable 7x zoom lens, with attendant wide aperture, makes for an almost unique proposition in the current market.

Over christmas we took some family photos using this camera and a Panasonic G3 (micro-four-thirds). Overall my wife commented how the images from the LF1 were nearly always better than the images from the G3! I have to agree with her, the images looked more natural from the LF1 and certainly had as much detail and low noise as the G3.

On a walkabout around York I was impressed with the images when using the fully automatic, iA mode. The camera switched automatically to HDR mode when it detected strong backlight, quickly taking a series of images, which resulted in a noticeably better pictures, with both dark and light areas resolved nicely.

Now many will say they have a perfectly good camera on their smart phone, I for one have had some great pictures, in sunlight, from my Samsung Note 2. However when the light goes down or you need to zoom in to frame up a shot there is no substitute for a dedicated camera. Also it is almost impossible to get any subject isolation with a camera phone (make the background blurred to draw the attention to the subject). This cameras combination of f2 aperture and 7x zoom (as well as the macro mode) allow for a reasonable degree of subject isolation so is a real plus point in producing images people like.

The one point many reviews seem to pick on is the lack of a touch screen, I for one am glad it has no touch screen! The problem is, this is such a small camera it would be too easy to touch the screen when you don't want to and select some function or focus point you did not want or expect. This would cause ruined shots or wasted time trying to get it back as you wanted. For most users the buttons, dials and control ring offer up enough control without the need for a touchscreen.

So for me and my wife this is a great little camera that I wish I had owned 10 years ago to improve my photos! One final note those who would like a protective case should look at the Lowepro Santiago 20 Pouch for Camera - Black as it is a perfect fit, offering good protection and is ideal for placing on your belt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now we have a problem, my girlfriend can take better pictures than me now!!, 6 Jan. 2014
What a camera, this is one hell of a compact! I have had a number of cameras, mainly SLR's and currently moved to full frame sensor with the 6D with a variety of L glass and in many situations this camera beats it hands down! Fantastic piece of kit, I couldn't recommend highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars LF1, 30 Aug. 2013
Mr. Howard M. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent service from Amazon. Camera is just what I wanted. It easily fits in a pocket, takes excellent photos in both jpeg and RAW and has the added bonus of a viewfinder which is essential on sunny days. This is the ideal travel camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 28 Jan. 2015
I bought this as a second choice to the too expensive Sony RX 300. I wanted viewfinder, RAW capability, panorama and, above all, a bright lens that would shoot well in low light, and something small enough to put in my pocket. Also wanted to be able to control all settings as on a DSLR. This was the only camera that met the criterion other than the sony.

Brilliant camera, Really good pictures on auto settings, rich colours, good detail and nice and sharp. Lots of control on other settings. Really important for me it will shoot decent photos hand held in a dimly lit environment, there is a bit of noise on ISO higher than 400, but this is to be expected and the results are perfectly acceptable. The panorama mode is great, even in lower light, thanks to the wide aperture lens.

The only downsides for me:
- No charger except the camera itself. Easily fixed by buying one, there are plenty on Amazon.
- REALLY bad is the wi-fi. It's a pain to get it to function at all. However, I 'm not too bothered by this, content to transfer photos in the normal way. Shame though, would have been the icing on the cake.
- The viewfinder is very basic and small, but good enough when needed.

Having had it for a couple of months I can see that it will take some time to learn all the features on it, because it is very feature rich. On the other hand the auto mode takes great pics for general use. Battery life is average, I got a spare battery and a charger for under £20. Am really looking forward to a taking it on holiday and not having to lug my DSLR everywhere to get decent shots. Of course the quality is not quite as good as the DSLR, but the gap is much less wide than with my previous portable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent true compact, 4 Jan. 2015
I really like this camera, I notice a lot of professional reviews criticise it for its lack of high end features. But they miss the point. Try fitting something better in your pocket.......

Zoom is short but much longer than many of the cameras that sit above it. The image quality is much better than a typical compact, and while its not vastly better than say a Sony HX60 its bigger sensor does allow you to capture decent pictures more often.
I also found this camera very fast when compared to smaller sensored compacts (including the sonys). Itll start up and keep snapping at an impressive rate. And the 5fps burst mode goes on for a fair few seconds, unlike Sonys 10shot max.
Its video quality is excellent to. Im not sure if its the slightly bigger sensor but indoors the video quality is really exceptional.

Its not perfect, the picture does start to drop off as you use the zoom (although its still betters small sensor compacts to its 7.1 max), the lense starts at 28mm which while a small point, does count against it (24mm being an ideal start)
The Fn button appears to be fixed to a composition quide. Waste of a button.
And the typical outright picture quality isnt as far ahead of a decent small sensor compact as you might hope.
Its worst flaw is the power button, you often turn the camera off simply by holding it.

I needed a compact i could carry anywhere but was capable of shooting in low light with fast, erratic subjects (my kids!) and this has proven excellent for doing it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›