on 4 May 2013
You need a new PC, you go to the shop thinking you know all about it and find yourself faced with an interface that makes little sense to you. Why, Microsoft, why? I am a big fan of Dr Andy's writing but I am especially pleased by this book. Essential reading for anybody "upgrading" to Windows 8.
on 30 April 2013
If like me you and technololology have an awkward relationship, then you probably don't respond well to instructions provided by manufacturers, that's if you even try to look at them. This is a great book for anyone making the migration to wondows 8. Everything
is explained nice and easy, and everything is illustrated. I recommend this book.
on 4 July 2013
When I got my new computer with Windows 8 I was totally confused.
Nothing was the same.
I muddled along for a couple of days and then purchased this book.
"Hey Presto" most of it makes sense.
Very useful buy!!
on 23 July 2013
Well if you are thinking of moving then this is a must read, it answered many of the questions I had about upgrading to Win 8. It help me make the upgrade with and got me started with no fuss or bother.
For me it is a must read.
on 8 June 2013
I give this five stars because it was great value, and principally because it is so clear and easy to follow.
Did not like Windows 8 initially, and still not a great fan, however sitting with this book NAD working through the various screens was very easy to follow.
on 29 June 2013
Windows 8 is very difficult to "migrate" to and requires clear explanations from someone who has used it and understands the difficulties we bump into.
I thought Dr. Williams did this to great effect, and in simple, understandable language. I keep it by me for whenever I Forget how to do things!
VINE VOICEon 3 February 2014
After working with Microsoft Windows since the very first version (yes, I really do mean that – before Windows 3.1, before Windows 386 - all the way back to the beginning), I really do know my way around Windows from the inside out. So, when Windows 8 arrived on the scene, and then Windows Server 2012, I was shocked to find that I really didn’t know how to navigate quickly around it, or know what might be lurking in there that I have to click in some random place to find. I figured that the quickest way to get over that hurdle was to buy a book. A quick search popped up “Migrating to Windows 8: For computer users without a touch screen, coming from XP, Vista or Windows 7”, which matched my predicament exactly.

“Migrating to Windows 8: For computer users without a touch screen, coming from XP, Vista or Windows 7” is one of those books that you work through once, and then never use again (other than perhaps for the list of shortcut keys at the back). That doesn’t matter, because the price is so low that the confidence it will give you to find what you are looking for is worth the money.

Now, I don’t want to overstate the case – the book is really basic, and between the small number of pages, the large print and the screenshots, there isn’t a huge amount of content. But that means that you can work through the entire thing, in front of your computer, configuring your machine as you go, and be finished in 3 hours. By the end of that, your machine will be set up how you want it, and you will know how to navigate to the things that you want to get to. With the keyboard shortcuts, you will know how to get to things quickly as well. That has to be worth a price under a tenner.

Before buying, note that there is a Windows 8.1 version of this book available now.

Recommended. Buy it, use it, pass it on!
on 17 May 2013
Good well written understandable to a complete Techno dunce like me. Allows me to make sense of things and makes it easy for me
on 24 June 2013
Being new to Windows 8 I found myself at a complete and utter loss so downloaded this on to my Kindle. It was a great help and I still find myself dipping into it when I need to find anything out. Becoming more confident now and happy with Windows 8 thanks to this book.
on 21 July 2013
At last some simple directions. Good for non geeks. Written in simple language that the non IT person can understand.