5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow
If like me you and technololology have an awkward relationship, then you probably don't respond well to instructions provided by manufacturers, that's if you even try to look at them. This is a great book for anyone making the migration to wondows 8. Everything
is explained nice and easy, and everything is illustrated. I recommend this book.
Published 11 months ago by Michael Finlayson

3.0 out of 5 stars clearly written
The book is good - though I have not worked through it all. Its main drawback is the kindle format. The book would be very much better in colour on my tablet.
Published 7 months ago by S. KIRKWOOD

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets you going with Windows 8 really quickly, 3 Feb 2014
J. S. Hardman "Consultant software developer ... (Near London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
After working with Microsoft Windows since the very first version (yes, I really do mean that – before Windows 3.1, before Windows 386 - all the way back to the beginning), I really do know my way around Windows from the inside out. So, when Windows 8 arrived on the scene, and then Windows Server 2012, I was shocked to find that I really didn’t know how to navigate quickly around it, or know what might be lurking in there that I have to click in some random place to find. I figured that the quickest way to get over that hurdle was to buy a book. A quick search popped up “Migrating to Windows 8: For computer users without a touch screen, coming from XP, Vista or Windows 7”, which matched my predicament exactly.

“Migrating to Windows 8: For computer users without a touch screen, coming from XP, Vista or Windows 7” is one of those books that you work through once, and then never use again (other than perhaps for the list of shortcut keys at the back). That doesn’t matter, because the price is so low that the confidence it will give you to find what you are looking for is worth the money.

Now, I don’t want to overstate the case – the book is really basic, and between the small number of pages, the large print and the screenshots, there isn’t a huge amount of content. But that means that you can work through the entire thing, in front of your computer, configuring your machine as you go, and be finished in 3 hours. By the end of that, your machine will be set up how you want it, and you will know how to navigate to the things that you want to get to. With the keyboard shortcuts, you will know how to get to things quickly as well. That has to be worth a price under a tenner.

Before buying, note that there is a Windows 8.1 version of this book available now.

Recommended. Buy it, use it, pass it on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 28 Feb 2014
D. Ormrod "david11622" (England) - See all my reviews
A very useful book if you are new to Win8. The book is aimed at users of Win8 without a touchscreen PC or laptop but is just as useful to those, like me, who have just bought a new laptop with touchscreen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Migrating to windows *, 2 Jan 2014
I read the reviews before buying this book and decided to buy. have been well pleased with it. As pensioners in our 70's, found it a great help passing from Windows XP to windows . Am still referring to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 28 Nov 2013
excellent product,well written and would recommend it to any one migrating
from other windows system, credit to the author.
many thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars clearly written, 14 Sep 2013
S. KIRKWOOD (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Migrating to Windows 8 - For computer users without a touch screen, coming from XP, Vista or Windows 7 (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 22 Aug 2013
A good book & well set out. Very helpful guidance with illustrations & guidance hard to fault. Keep up the good work

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy for Windows 8 newcomers, 9 April 2014
I bought "The complete idiots guide to Windows 8" as my wife's new computer was set up with this latest version and was so different to anything that had gone before. We both struggled with it until I bought "Migrating to Windows 8". This has been a boon and is so user friendly. I recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars very basic, 2 April 2014
Good at the basic basics but more needed for Cloud, Downloads, and much more. Easy to understand what is written, so if a complete novice go ahead and buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Migrating to Windows 8 for computer users without a touch screen coming from XP, Vista or Windows 7, 24 Mar 2014
This title was full fo promise. It assumed however a superior computer knowledge. In terms of navigating around the screen it was OK although the screen was vastly different to XP. It was totally deficient in enabling migraters to understand how to transfer data, e-mail, etc. I had to pay someone to do this for me which I find annoying. The videos on YouTube were a bit more help.

Pity really as this book's promise could have been extremely useful!

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 but rated 4, 13 Mar 2014
The book does offer a lot of detailed information but the presentation leaves a lot to be desires ,I feel some color would have helped with the presentation ,the pictures look as if they have been photocopied and pasted in where required ,price wise I did not feel it was the best value.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›