5.0 out of 5 stars Top for PC Gaming.
My 16 year old son having recently built his own gaming pc was eager to test drive the G430 headphones, so my review is an interpretation of his opinion after almost a months usage. He's considerably more qualified than I am as I don't 'do gaming..'..... So here are the bullet points from his opinion :-

Pro's - Good and clear stereo separation. They were used...
Published 12 months ago by Ian Wantling

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems outweigh the good
i bought this headset thinking it would be an average performer in most departments it come well packages and i was pleased with the build quality.

Things that went wrong for me
1. microphone cuts off mid sentence when using Logitech USB sound card (this is because of noise cancellation problems with the headset)
2. every time you run any VOIP...
Published 11 months ago by Thomas Moore

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems outweigh the good, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Logitech G430 Surround Sound Gaming Headset (for PC and PS4) (Accessory)

Things that went wrong for me
2. every time you run any VOIP programme surround sound has to be deactivated
3. headset disconnects couple of minutes
4. Tons of other problems including distortion(check Logitech forums and search G430 there are swamped with complaints)

Possitive things
1. good bass & sound
2. lightweight
3. comfortable
4. Prce

5.0 out of 5 stars Top for PC Gaming., 21 Aug 2013
Ian Wantling "Ian Wantling" (The North West.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Pro's - Good and clear stereo separation. They were used on games such as Battlefield 3 and COD. Excellant results.
Versatile and easily positioned microphone. Other gamers commented on the clarity of his speech using the mic.
Good length of braided anti tangle headphone cable.

Cons - The construction was too plasic-ky.
When worn for longer gaming sessions the cushioned ear covers acted as sponges causing the user to perspire around the ears.

His opinion however was that these headphones, despite the two minor issues listed above, provide excellent quality and great value for money, so much so that after sampling them one of his friends purchased a set from Amazon.....

Very recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars however the headphones have taken a few knocks over the year and have stayed sturdy, so the build quality doesn't seem to be ..., 29 Jun 2014
S. Emmett (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I've had these headphones for around a year now so I thought it high time to post a long-term review.

Construction

• The main construction is a black plastic - it does feel lightweight and cheap; however the headphones have taken a few knocks over the year and have stayed sturdy, so the build quality doesn't seem to be an issue. However, they do start to creak after a while and can creak when you're moving your head around - this can get quite irritating.
• The cups and headband are sponge with a blue net fabric material. I've generally had no issues with them at all, the cups and band are very comfortable and I've had no trouble with them for longer sessions.
• The microphone has a rubber coating and doesn't feel as flimsy as some other headsets I've had in the past.
• The cord is long and covered with a blue fabric. It feels very tough and I've again had no problems with it. Doesn't tangle as easily as plastic cord either, so that's another plus. There is an in-line volume and mic control which is unfortunately very poor - the plastic seems to be poor and it doesn't feel like a quality piece of the kit.

Sound

• Overall, the sound is very good. The surround sound works excellently and the software that comes with the headset seems to work well at boosting the effects. I've certainly had no problems in game with it.
• The microphone sound is also decent - voice is of good quality and there is little to no background noise or hiss. I haven't had any issues with the sound dropping out like other reviewers appear to have had.
• However, one issue that I have seen a couple of times is the fabric covering on the cord - you can hear it clearly when it rubs against your clothes. Can be quite annoying!
• The inline volume control is poor - when changing the volume I've had some issues with the sound not being balanced. I've found that you need to fiddle around with the control a bit before the sound comes back fully in both ears. This is my main gripe with the headset - it feels like they could have spent a tiny bit more money on one little thing which would have improved the overall quality immensely.

Conclusions

+ Good surround sound
+ Construction overall is on the sturdy side
+ Plenty of cable length (if you need it)
+ Comfortable over long periods of time
+ Microphone is clear and easy to use

- Creaking from the plastic can be annoying
- Scratchy sound of cable against clothes can also be annoying
- Foam/fabric has a tendency to absorb sweat and discolour over time
- Really poor quality in-line control can lead to sound dropping in one ear

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mid-range gaming headphones, but note that the 7.1 audio is emulated, 23 July 2013
M. Bhangal "S" (Somewhere in Northern England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Logitech have recently upgraded their gaming gear, and the g430 headphones are an update to the existing G35.
The G430 headphones are a traditional pair of headphones with lots of nice extras that make then interesting for gaming...

The headphones sound really good on a 7.1 audio enabled game. The one I tested with was Company of Heroes 2, which worked flawlessly. On Skyrim, FC3 and ARMA 2, the headphones were particularly good: the headphones seemed to really bring out the ambient sounds in these 'world sandbox' games.

The headphones are designed for longer use consistent with gaming than are traditional audio headphones. They are light and comfortable and the ear cups are washable. The cups are also naturally noise cancelling (because they isolate your ears well). The cups are cloth covered (not PVC), so they allow air to your skin and ears, so won't leave you with sweaty ears that many cheaper headphones give you. I've worn my G430 for a couple of hours gaming and not had any issues (and no red marks around the ears!).

The headphones also come with cloth covered wires rather than the cheaper plastic covered wires. The cloth wiring on my gaming mice has lasted for ages longer than the plastic wiring as the plastic is more prone to crack and snag, so I expect the same of this headphone's wiring. The wiring is also very long (it comes with its own Velcro tie so you can shorten it though), so that's another plus.

You get a nice noise cancelling microphone boom. On my old Fatality gaming headphones, you had to physically unscrew the boom when it is not in use, and as usual, once you unscrew it, you invariably lose it ( this is my main reason for getting the G430: I have lost the microphone boom on the Fatality). You won't lose the boom on the G430, as it folds up out of the way when not in use.

The headphones can either be plugged into your computer via a standard stereo jack and microphone jack or via a USB adapter. If you use the jacks, the 430 acts like a traditional stereo headphone plus mic. If you use the USB adapter (and have the G430 driver installed on your computer - Windows only), then the headphones become a pair of 7.1 surround sound headphones.

Note that If you have an existing sound card or motherboard audio device, then the USB adapter will appear as a new device, and you have to select it before you will hear anything in a game (right click on the speaker icon on the task bar, select `Playback devices' and make `Logitech G430 gaming headset' the default device). That had me scratching my head for a while, because I thought the G430 was just a pair of headphones and not a physical sound device!

The really good thing about the USB adapter being a physical sound device in its own right is that it is bypassing your computer's audio completely. Some laptops in particular have awful audio (as their inbuilt audio is designed with laptop speakers in mind), so having the G430 with its own separate audio device is a good thing!

So, lots of good extras that make the G430 very suitable for gaming. Ok, now for the gotchas and oddities I found whilst testing...

I heard a little bit of crackle on one or two games (esp Call Of Jurez: Gunslinger), and it seemed to be very game specific. Reducing the volume away from 100% generally fixed it, but as this is a new product, I expect that crackle is down to teething issues with the driver. Nevertheless before parting with cash, I'd have a quick look on the usual gaming forums to see how much of a problem it is at the time of your expected purchase. In any case its not cripplingly bad like some of the Creative sound cards that had latency issues a couple of years ago.

*** Update: the crackle seems to be down to performance: you will hear crackle if your cpu/GPU is loaded by a game. I confirmed this by setting off a 100% cpu usage process whilst watching a youtube video, and the youtube audio always starts to crackle slightly. However, I see crackle on both my slow system and fast system (see specs at end), so it may be a databus issue rather than CPU performance overloading. I would recommend any potential buyers to review the web forums to see if this issue is fixed before buying. ***

The 7.1 surround sound is emulated in the USB adapter: the G430 is not a true 7.1 headphone set and actually has only two (fairly average) speaker drivers. Im not convinced that emulated 7.1 audio is particularly a bad thing, but I was surprised to find that you can plug *any* pair of headphones into the USB adapter and get the same 7.1 sound - the Logitech driver is for the USB adapter only and it doesn't know which headphones are connected to it! Well, thats a cause for experimentation if ever there was one! I tried it with a pair of proper audio headphones (Sennheiser HD 25's, which I use for listening to music at work) and they - not unexpectedly - blew the G430 away (the bass has to be heard to be believed!). However, my years-old Fatality gaming headphones also now sounded pretty cool!

You don't even need the USB adapter because whatever it does can be done for free: Google `Razer surround'. That is a free application that gives you the emulated 7.1 on any computer and any headphone, so using that with high end audio headphones that can handle deep bass (i.e something like my Senny HD 25s) should give you something far better than any dedicated gaming headphones. So if you are thinking your old gaming headphones are sounding a bit weak or have decent (but not gaming) headphones, try them with the Razer surround before parting with any cash... but get it quick as its only free for a limited time.

The emulated 7.1 sound requires the G430 driver to be enabled, and that works for Windows only. So if you are on a Mac, you are out of luck (well, actually, you have bought a pair of standard stereo headphones and microphone).

With the G430 you are missing the programmable preset keys you had with the G35, but get an (arguably) slightly more comfortable pair of headphones... but otherwise you get essentially the same headphones. This is not an update to the G35, so if you have one of those and are happy with them, stick with them rather than upgrade to the G430.

Some of the controls are not changeable in-game. The wired controller only allows volume changes. For changes in bass boost and mic level, you have to go through the driver, and to do that you may have to jump out-of game. mic level I can live with (most games allow you to change it from the game settings anyway), but a hardwired bass bosst would have been nice for when you want to stop hearing big bass explosions and need to instead listen carefully to what your teammates are saying.

So to conclude...

The G430 is the replacement for the older G35. They are not an update though, and note that the headphones are really aimed at Windows users. Nevertheless, the G430 makes for a good feature rich pair of gaming surround headphones. The crackle loses the headphones 1 star, but I'm assuming it will be fixed. Two or even three stars off it isn't - please have a look at the forums to see if the issue is fixed before buying.

One final thought to end on: headphones and speakers (and even your sound card) are things that do not become obsolete in the same way that graphics cards and CPUs do. Audio does not generally get superseded quickly, so a pair of headphones should last you some years and probably will outlast your current computer. Choose wisely, and on the basis that you will have them for a while!

*** My specs ***
Fast gaming computer: Alienware Aurora 980 Xtreme (o/c to 4GHz and watercooled), NVidia GTX 770 (o/c 10%), 24GB, Windows 8.

Slow gaming computer: Custom built rig, Q6600 (o/c to 3.6GHz and air cooled), ATI 6870 (o/c 8%), 8GB, Windows 7.

*** Games Tested ***
Company Of Heroes 2, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Call Of Jurez: Gunslinger, ARMA 2, RUSE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wasn't expecting this great of a quality headset., 28 May 2014
The day I got this headset I was quite excited since my old one was completely dead and mic wasn't working,The moment I opened the packed I noticed a USB to Audio and Mic BUS which I absolutely love. I software installation was quick. And The microphone quality is great all my comrades can hear me much better wiht no background noise =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value headset, 9 April 2014
Mr. Matthew Paver "Matthew Paver" (Pontefract, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
For some context up front, I'm a heavy user of headsets for my work, with multiple voice and video calls globally each day, plus a bit of PC gaming and movie watching here and there.

I finally took the leap to buying a better quality set over the usual generic 20 headsets, because if you use an item day in day out, why not have something that's more enjoyable to own. Well, these are a massive step up. I have none of the issues other people have had, and in terms of sounds and build, they're great. Few points:

- build quality: No they are not a supreme quality 200 headet, so there is a bit of plastic on plastic creaking when you move your head around, and the no-tangle material cable scrapes on your clothes and is audible in the headset, but i don't really care about these issues as i keep my head quite still. oh and final thing is that the padding on the ear cups is a little firm and you can constantly feel them pressing on you, but again not something i care about.
- sound quality: i have no idea how good expensive sets are, but these are very very good. i tested the surround sound and it does work, albeit subtly. music and movies are transformed, and video calls sound almost like I'm in the room on the other end. i can listen to stuff all day on these with no ear pains, while my other cheaper sets hurt after 20-30mins.
- cost: a bargain for 50-60. highly recommend.
- practicality: this is a small point in the grand scheme, but for me its a big one. the ability to plug into usb or a 3.5mm jack is amazing. during my work day i plug and unplug these multiple times, and the ability to just plug these in when a video call comes in and it just work is great.

Highly recommend if you're on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 11 Mar 2014
These are the best headphones I have ever bought well worth what I payed for them. Perfect for gaming and day to day online stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's decent, but I've had better headsets in the past., 6 Mar 2014
C. Stewart "Muffin" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
After owning two Plantronics Gamecoms (580 and 780) I decided to try a different brand because those headsets always broke on me (despite taking good care of them).

Starting off with the good. The headset has quite a nice design as well as being very comfy. The adjustable mic is reliable and stays in place no matter what position you bend it to. Voice quality is crystal clear.

The cable has a nice threaded cover rather than plastic which is durable, reduces tangling and doesn't cause the wired to bend into loops like you see with plastic cable covers.

The standard 3.5mm jacks on the end plug into the USB sound card that comes with the headset. I love that Logitech have included this separately. The Gamecom 580 used to have this feature and I sorely missed it from the 780 so I was happy to return to a removable usb connector.

The inline controls are quite nice and useful.

The logitech software that comes with the headset is needed if you want to use the dolby virtual surround sound or the equaliser. You can find alternative software that can do the same thing but the logitech solution is quite nice.

Now for the bad.

The audio quality is so-so. Plantronics definitely win over in the category. I had to spend ages with the equaliser to give the headset some oomph as the standard sound sounds very flat.

The audio can also be quite buggy. I've noticed clipping when listening to some youtube videos when surround sound is turned on.

When on mumble I have to turn surround sound on otherwise it sounds like everyone's voice is only coming through the right ear (a known bug with this model).

I gave this 3 out of 5 because despite having a lot of pros this headset is distinctly average in the one category that matters the most. The sound.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great while it lasted!, 4 Sep 2013
The Logitech g430's are a great value headset. They produce convincing 7.1 surround sound with plenty of bass. They are comfortable but they take a bit of getting use to. The Logitech gaming software is great for adjusting the headsets characteristics.The microphone is clear and cancels backround noise well.
However, the left earcup in my g430's stopped producing sound. I have tried contacting logitech but with no success. The problem was completely random as they were working before perfectly. Overall I would give the headset 4 stars but the customer support 1 star!

2.0 out of 5 stars Low Quality - Save your money and buy higher quality., 13 Aug 2014
This review is written in comparison to Logitech's more expensive lines.

When I purchased this headset last year (after my LG 35's were accidentally dropped and snapped) I was first of all expecting goood sound quality, which it seemed they were at first. But after weighing them up against their big brother (LG 35) they just don't compete for the money you're paying for them. Please save your money and go for a little bit more expensive model, they seem to be fairly low grade material, the sound quality isn't that great and the microphone seems to be run-of-the-mill bog standard microphone

WARNING: If you are buying Logitech headsets they are very fragile, if they are being bought for a younger child or someone who just cant keep them on their head, expect them to be snapped or broken very soon as the connections between the headphone and head frame is very weak.