Published 23 months ago by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars good but could of been great
I really wanted to love this keypad, it has great features and love the small display but it just didn't work for me.
Published 1 month ago by Michael Schoeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful keyboard extension tool which deserves recognition., 27 July 2013
Chris (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard (Accessory)
It is a fact that Logitech offer some impressive devices in their extensive range of computer peripherals. After seeing a colleague purchasing a TypeMatrix keyboard in order to try and increase his typing speed, I decided to purchase one of these to see if it would make a difference in my productivity as a web developer. It took just 2 days to arrive, and came in an attractive box with a gaming feel.

Installation was easy, and the installation of the drivers followed a similarly easy route. One of the best thing about these keyboards is the software can configure them to have a separate profile for each application you switch to. There are different ways to do this - including pointing to the executable file for the application or manually switching to it using the LCD screen.

If you look at any application in Windows, you'll see the menu options often have keyboard shortcuts (e.g. CTRL+S for saving a file) and it is these keyboard configurations that are bound to the keys of the G13. Because I am a Microsoft Visual Studio user, I have a lot of functionality only a key-press away, but also being an avid gamer means I can use the G13 for play as well as work.

It can be somewhat complicated to configure, but this is an indication of the level of configuration this device can offer. The other downside is that the device is aimed at gamers, which obscures the fact that this is a great tool for any kind of computer user. These are minor issues, and do not affect the overall performance of the G13. It offers tremendous fun for anyone willing to spend time configuring it. For those who don't, you can always download the ready made ones online.

Overall I would recommend this device to anyone. It's amazing and is worth the slightly expensive price tag. It's a definite thumbs up from me for this Logitech device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Peripheral I've Ever Bought!, 11 Dec. 2013
Benjamin Ross "Rossendale" (Hurstpierpoint) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard (Accessory)
I'd just like to say this is the best peripheral I have ever purchased!

I originally bought it along with a Razer Naga to play WoW, and since then applied the G13 to many other games, such as StarCraft 2, League of Legends, and many many more. It is absolutely fantastic. The shape of the keyboard does take a bit of getting used to, but having the keys in the layout they are is really useful. For example, if you take the bottom keys and the left side keys, and bind them as a keyboard would be, just without the start key and the caps lock you find that G2 and G9 do not match to anything. This allows for extra buttons if you bind the G3-7, 10-14, 16-19 as they would be on a keyboard. This allows room for interesting things on these particular keys which I have found very very useful.

Now, the joystick. I have only 1 complaint which I will get into later...
The joystick can be set as a few different things in the Logitech Gaming Software. Either 5 buttons (up down left right click), a joystick, or an emulated mouse. I find 4 buttons as the arrow keys are great in games such as StarCraft or League of Legends as i can use it for map control. In games such as Battlefield 4 I use it for flight control coupled with what I have bound as wasd for flight control all with one hand. Very very useful. It can also be nicely used with graphical editing software as well, making using tools and things nice and easy, with a good degree of accuracy.
The only complaint I have about this is when using it as a mouse, when a different profile is selected, the mouse emulation continues instead of it becoming just buttons again. This however is a software thing and can easily be fixed by restarting the gaming software.

The profiles are another amazing feature of keyboard. Each profile can have it's own unique set of keybinds and macros, and within each profile there are 3 different banks of keys/macros you can use with the M keys, along with on the fly macro recording which can then be assigned to any button. I myself haven't used this feature much, but I can see a lot of people making use of this.
Tied in with the profiles, through the software you can also set a colour the backlight will be for each subset or each profile with the RGB LED in the keyboard itself. Very helpful to act as either a visual reminder of what profile you're using, or just to blend in with your colour scheme. It can also be turned on and off with a button at will
Profiles can even be saved on the device's own internal memory and you can take them with you wherever you go. Fantastic if you want to use your own stuff on other machines, or you play on either a PC and Laptop

Next up - software. Now the software; Logitech Gaming Software, is actually pretty good. you can manage profiles, record macros and scripts, change the backlight colour, copy profiles both onto and off the G13 and manage the apps that run on the G13's small screen.
Now the applet support is a bit limited. There aren't that many of them around. However, having the ability to run small things such as hardware readouts, score information, even what song you're listening to or who's talking on teamspeak is very very useful indeed, and also saves on monitor space where you might previously be saving space for.

And finally the G13 itself. The screen although small is a nice feature and is clear to read. The buttons all feel pretty good, fairly responsive and relatively easy to reach. The wrist rset is nice soft, and with the shape of the whole thing you can be using it for hours and hours and not get any kind of strain pains. the 500g weight located under the screen of the device helps it stay put and not move around the desk, aided by the 6 rubber feet on the bottom. Lastly, overall build quality. it feels very solid in the hand, the keys feels solid, joystick feels good, and the whole thing is nice and heavy, so it doesn't move while gaming. I have owned one of these for 5 years, and after around 6 hours of heavy use every day since I got it, it is still going strong. I'll just say that again... 6 hours of use for 5 years. The only thing that has gone wrong is 1 of the rubber feet has come off. I'm not too fussed about that.

In conclusion, an absolutely fantastic little piece of kit that will last you through years of heavy usage, whatever it is that you're applying it to

5.0 out of 5 stars ACE, 31 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard (Accessory)
As someone only recently coming back to high-end gaming (and the "high-end" games I used to play now seem SO simple!) this device has enabled me to derive more entertainment from the old games by playing them them more effectively as well as giving me hope of eventually mastering the much more complex control systems of current games. My only caveat (not worth dropping a star for as it has its positive side) is that there is a degree of memory training needed to keep in mind which key does what in which game . I currently make A4 charts that I can prop up behind the pad. Younger people than I will find this much less of an issue I am sure ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just great for games, but also for productivity., 26 Feb. 2015
Hakon Soreide "Gallery Hakon" (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard (Accessory)
First of all, I don't game much, but I was looking for an external programmable keyboard for productivity, to take some strain off my hands. After reading reviews and comparisons, I landed on the Logitech G13. One of my reasons for choosing it was the reported ease of programming, including macros on the fly, which is essential to my work. It also looked like it would suit me ergonomically.

Unless it has durability issues, which it is too early for me to tell, and which would be a warranty or return case and therefore not relevant to the functionality of the keyboard, I must say I am very pleased with my purchase. It fits my hand nicely, though some peripheral keys are not so easy to reach for my relatively small hands unless I lift my palm from the rest. This is fine as I will occasionally be moving my hand back and forth from my keyboard while using it anyway.

Setup was a doddle: after the Logitech control software was downloaded, it was just plug and play. Programming, even complex macros, is quick and easy, and within a few minutes, I had a setup that saves me from any ctrl- or alt-combination hotkeys, as well as mousewheel scrolling for my current work. All in all, I don't save any time compared to using just a regular keyboard and mouse - I can do that really fast - but now I can take the same time working at what seems a more relaxing pace, with less intensity of focus, and with fewer key clicks, mouse clicks or scrolling - all of which was starting to put big strain on both of my hands as I am in the middle of a period of very high productivity with lots of repetitive tasks.

As I keep using it, I will extend my use to other applications - especially Illustrator where I use lots of keyboard shortcuts - as well as eventually trying it out for gaming, where I can see it would be hugely beneficial compared to just a regular keyboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Logitech control software sucks on Mac!!!, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard (Accessory)
I really love this product, very ergonomic and efficient...for any App on PC, but I work on Mac, intended to use it for video editing on Final cut pro X, but the Logitech Gaming software on Mac sucks! It crashes each time when you configure key settings. This finally made G13 unusable for me. What a shame, really love it...
My Mac OS is 10.9.2, the Logitech Gaming software is the newest version 8.55.88 at the moment. I don't think it's an issue of the OS, I will probably try it on Yosemite to see if it will perform as expected.

3.0 out of 5 stars good but could of been great, 21 May 2015
This review is from: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard (Accessory)
First off I miss not having number keys above your directional keys, this made it harder to adapt to if you are use to a normal keyboard as usually those number keys are for quick weapon selection (now you got to go left and right or below, this is where my second grips is) Secondly the buttons are a bit of a stretch to reach you almost have to move away from your directional key to change weapons etv as all your basic yet important actions (ie use, reload melee etc) are near your directional buttons for quick response. When playing fast paced games you can't really afford to stop moving so you can change a weapon or change view or even throw a grenade etc.
Thirdly some colour coded buttons wld of been good, I know the directional buttons have got shallow grooves in them but I always seemed to end up pushing the wrong buttons especially when returning hand after moving to reach the corners buttons.
It's not all bad, like I said it has great features, very customizable and I like the downloadable profiles. Its solidly built and doesn't slip around on the desk. Looks good too.
That's my two cents worth hope it helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a game controller, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard (Accessory)
This is a brilliant device. I now have 2, each on a different computer. Each key and joystick-movement is comprehensively and easily programmable, so as well as using it for games, it is incredibly useful for editing audio, video and even word processing and I make the fullest use of it all the time. Common key presses and sequences of keys can be assigned to any key on the keypad and as well as there being 29 keys available, this is trippled for each configuration by 3 buttons below the display effectively selecting a different coloured page of keys for each of the three buttons. All configurations are easily saveable and accessible and I have at least 10 configurations selectable at the touch of a button in regular use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gaming device I've ever used for MMOs, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard (Accessory)
If you just can't get on with MMO mice, this is definitely an alternative. I've set this up so I have upwards of 20 actions on just the joystick and the keys which can easily be accessed by my thumb. I've done this by mapping my mouse shoulder buttons to Shift and Ctrl, which allows me to set three separate actions to each button. Once you get used to it, this setup is fantastic, and leaves me free to continue to move while activating any number of actions.

The build quality is extremely high, the keys and buttons feel better than my logitech keyboard. Its quite heavy with large rubber feet to stop it slipping around. Its also quite large but I'd say even people with small hands should be OK using it. You can programme it for multiple different games and the 'on the fly' programming function is so easy to use you could get away with never really looking at the software.

Simply put this gamepad has completely transformed by MMO gaming performance, especially in those games with a more action based combat system. If I was pushed to find a fault it would be the joystick. I use it as an extra 4 keys (mapping forward, left, right and back to actions), so I'd have preferred a more directional pad instead of the joystick, which can be a little imprecise when trying to select a specific action.

Worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars For someone looking to use this with Lightroom, I recommend it!, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard (Accessory)
I bought the G13 to use with Lightroom (Mac OSX) and it does the job perfectly!

The build quality and looks are top notch. It really doesn't look like a gamepad at all. It's very ergonomic and your hand rests naturally on the keys. The feedback from the keys is great.

It's highly customisable, down to the colour of the backlit keys. I had to use an extra piece of software for it to talk properly with Lightroom (ControllerMate), but now that everything is set up, it's a dream to work on.

If you compare the price of the G13 with something like the XKeys, this is a steal!

5.0 out of 5 stars At forty odd quid and the likelihood of being able to sell on easily if it wasn't as expected there was no real ..., 22 May 2015
This review is from: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard (Accessory)
Having read a couple of articles about using one of these to speed up photo processing in Photoshop I decided to take the plunge. At forty odd quid and the likelihood of being able to sell on easily if it wasn't as expected there was no real gamble. I'm really pleased I got the G13. Usual Logitech quality so no problems there. Easy to set up although remembering or searching for the Photoshop key strokes was the time consuming part! You can program so many actions that I now use it for both Photoshop and Lightroom. Takes a little getting used to but only because your left hand wants to keep drifting back to the keyboard which is where it's been for the last few years! This and the Wacom graphics tablet are the best computer gizmos I've purchased for ages!

Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard