4.0 out of 5 stars Collector's 2-LP Vinyl Set Very Well Produced
Published 8 months ago by VinylBEAR

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing to be honest
I've always preferred vinyl as a format, especially for analogue recordings, so I was looking forward to replacing my 34 year old copy of 'Crocodiles'!

Published 7 months ago by Alan

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing to be honest, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Crocodiles 2LP Hardback Book [VINYL] (Vinyl)

Can't fault the pressings, they are superb, but the printed inner sleeves fit tightly around the vinyl and these in turn fit tightly into the jacket pockets. It's impossible to remove the records without getting fingerprints on them, so definately a set to *look at* rather than play. I've had to store the records in white outer sleeves and leave them outside of the box to avoid damage.....I'm not anal, just buy records to play!

The reproduction of the cover is a bit poor, the book is great (aside from the annoying spelling mistakes) but it took me less than the playing time of Side One to read, photos interesting though.

I paid 38 for this set, which I feel is steep, I think it ought to be around 25 and no more.

If this is a start of 'series' of Echo & The Bunnymen releases in this format I hope that the above matters are addressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Collector's 2-LP Vinyl Set Very Well Produced, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Crocodiles 2LP Hardback Book [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I just received my copy of this 2-LP collector's vinyl set, and I just want to say that it is a very well produced vinyl boxset. Good dark vinyl quality, good disc cutting, and very carefully packaged. My copy doesn't have any obvious surface scuff marks due to poor handling and inserting into the thick paper sleeves. Honestly, all of my vinyl records from this Vinyl 180 label are packaged and handled very carefully - almost no surface marks whatsoever on the vinyl surfaces.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but pretty good ..., 23 Nov 2013
Siward Atkins "Siward Atkins" (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crocodiles 2LP Hardback Book [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Let's start with the good things. The 180g vinyl has been well cut and sounds wonderful. Loud and clear but warm and mellow, just as vinyl should be (but isn't always). The hardback book is sturdy, securely stitched and clearly printed. The records fit snugly into their own pouches stuck firmly to the insides of the front and back covers. There are inner sleeves: same as the original for the main album and a new, complementary one for the extra record. The liner notes, from guitarist Will Sergeant, are charming and informative. The photos inside are mostly unfamiliar. The design is tactful (they use the same font against the same speckled background as the original inner sleeve) and elegant, with a period feel that doesn't look too dated.

Now the gripes. I have three. First, the legendary cover photos haven't reproduced well. They're much darker and less sharp than on the original release. Next, the liner notes (great though they are) are strewn with typos. Last, and most disappointing for this reviewer, they've given us the Zoo single version of "Read It In Books" (the b side to the original "Pictures On My Wall") instead of the later version that appeared with "Do It Clean" as a bonus 7" single with some copies of the original album (the product description on the Amazon page is misleading in this respect). The Zoo version is mighty indeed, but it sounds incongruous here, coming as it does from a different era of the band. The later version is just as good and far more relevant. It appeared on the 2003 cd reissue for that reason. A pity it's not here also.

Sadly not perfect, then, but definitely worth having if you love this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crocodiles Hardback Book Review, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Crocodiles 2LP Hardback Book [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I have the original Crocodiles, which I love. I've bought his set because includes some previous versions of some songs by Echo & the Bunnymen, which I had already known, but I didn't have the recordings. I was expecting a bit more on the written part, but I liked what is in there.

Crocodiles 2LP Hardback Book [VINYL]
Crocodiles 2LP Hardback Book [VINYL] by Echo & The Bunnymen (Vinyl - 2013)
Click for more info