Published 18 months ago by Filipeport

Published 7 months ago by Kawaraupoundstretcher

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. Good quality, easy to assemble, fast delivery, kid loves it, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Portable Basketball Stand Backboard Hoop Net Set Adult Senior Hoopman Hoopster (Height: 2m~3.05m adjustable) NEW (Misc.)
The quality is really good and it looks good. Received within 2 days of ordering and it was well packed. The supporting pole is a nice shiny black of good quality as is the rim. The backboard is a decent size. It shakes a little if you use the backboard or shoot a brick but nothing that would really make a difference. I grew up playing basketball and it does the job just fine.

I currently have it set at the minimum height so that my 6 year-old can play. He really likes it although he needs to shoot underhand and he has to be near the basket. He has been playing with a normal sized basketball and it would be easier with a smaller and lighter ball. I would expect an 8 year-old to be able to shoot normally at the 2 metre height (lowest height) basket. I preferred to get something that my son might find a little tall in the beginning but could grow into than buying the lower baskets that I would have to replace in a year or two. However, one must consider the strength of the child and the age.

The backboard color is a mixture of black and white as per the photo. I found it strange when looking at the photo but now that I have it, it is fine. Probably better than white since it does not reflect the light. It looks really nice with the red, white and blue net.

It has wheels to move it. However, I question whether one can move it with the wheels once it is full of water. I actually move it off my drive. I have filled the base about half full with water and to move it, I use a basic 2 wheel trolley that I bought at B&Q for about £12. With the trolley, it is really easy to move. You just slide it under the base (the end with the pole) and pull the pole towards you as you dip the trolley back. Real easy. However, when putting it away for the night, I do tie it up (i.e. tie a rope around it and connect it to something solid) so that I do not have the risk of the wind knocking it down. Naturally, if you do not plan to move it then fill it fully with water or you might find that you can move it completely full with water.

The instructions were OK. Assembling (comes with Allen key and wrench) it was not difficult and the only part that requires 2 people in my view is the last part when you connect the pole with the backboard to the main pole. I did not assemble it all at once so difficult to say how long it would take. I would say between 30 - 45 minutes.

Some tips to put together:
1) The wheels snap into place so just push down until you hear them snap into place.
2) The instructions refer to 3 poles by size (i.e. length) but the real difference is diameter. The bottom pole has the largest diameter. In order for the pole to fit in the base, you need to twist it. This will get it down to the point at which you can slide the metal bar that keeps it in place. You will need the pole to be slightly higher to get the bar into the first hole of the pole. You then twist the pole back and forth to get it to go lower until you can get the bar out the other hole.
3) Make sure the security warning tab is facing the side people are going to shoot from (i.e. the short end of the base). The hole for height adjustment needs to face the base.
4) When screwing the Y bar into the back of the backboard, the screws will not go in completely with your fingers alone. However, once you use the Allen key, they will go in like they are supposed to.

One last thing, for any father that is thinking to relive their youth or wants to copy the NBA players, I would advise against dunking and hanging on the rim. It is sturdy but that would be pushing it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, 21 Oct 2013
This is a good addition to our small town garden. Takes up a bit of space, mind, but its worth it, and much appreciated by the children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best fullsize basketball rim in this price range, but more stable at 9 ft, 22 Mar 2014
James Low (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Overall things are well constructed and uses nice strong bolts to hold everything together. The backboard seems to be made of durable material, less brittle than a Spalding fibreglass one I've used a lot in the past. However the plastic base while strong, seems a little thinner than the similar style Splading rim I used to use.

This is a full size basketball rim, and I couldn't find any others that were full height at this price, but I found it more stable at 9 feet. Its not that the rim will tip over, only that the pole seems to be looser. There are 3 poles that make up the stand that insert in to each other. I think if the middle and top poles were a little bit longer then there would be more metal overlapping and the poles would move less.

There were also some things in the instructions that could have been explained better:
- In step 1 there are 3 struts, 2 for the wheels and a separate one for the bottom pole. The instructions make it sound like the wheel ones also support the base pole.
- Slight correction to instructions, at step 2.2 they mean part "B" not part "E" (the thin long bolt)
- When inserting the middle pole into the bottom pole, set it to its lowest height, this will make it much easier to put the top pole into the middle one

Overall its a great rim, and exceptional value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best basketball net, 16 Feb 2014
Very happy with this, I needed a good sturdy net but it needed to accommodate my 11 year old and his 6ft 16 year old brother. I also had a set amount of money to spend on it and wanted the best net I could find for the right price. This seems to tick all the boxes and the boys can't wait for nicer weather to use it every day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, full-size good value hoop - not precision engineered!, 31 July 2014
T. Flemming (York, England) - See all my reviews
Ordered based on decent price for full-size hoop, and reviewers saying it wasn't too hard to build. It arrived well ahead of schedule in a scuffed box but all complete and intact. My sons (13 and 15) built most of it and I helped finish off the top section.
The instructions are shockingly badly printed but not too hard to follow. The main tubes that support the basket are pretty roughly made and needed some 'encouragement' to bolt together, but they do the job. At full extension (my kids are 6'+) it is a little unsteady but the children like it and have used it loads.
Unfortunately basic physics means a light backboard which isn't clamped from behind won't be rigid enough for a good rebound, so it's not like a proper competition hoop, but it's really pretty good for the price. Would recommend for any family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 15 Jan 2014
I bought this basketball hoop for my 6 year old Grandson. I read a very detailed review of it and was impressed on the amount of information the reviewer wrote about the product. It was everything he said and I am impressed with it. My Grandson loves it. We have it set on it's lowest setting of 2 metres high and he has no problem putting the ball in the net. So it will grow with him and should have many years of shooting the hoop!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - product badly damaged on delivery and seller would not replace, 1 May 2014
This item was badly damaged on delivery. I have contacted the seller who has so far not resolved and has not replied to my recent messages. The badly cracked base means stand is virtually useless as needs to be filled with water to retain stability. This was not identified until I tried to construct recently during better weather. Item is large and was purchased as a gift at Christmas so there was a delay in me opening and attempting to build the stand. The packaging is insufficient to protect the unit and I've noted others have had similar issues. Cardboard box with no polystyrene / bubble wrap protection. The material used for the base unit seems fragile and I would doubt that it would last minor knocks in the garden or when moving. You should avoid this item and purchase an alternative which is more robust, better packaged and from a supplier more responsive and customer focussed seller. The item is back in box waiting return and has never been constructed. All I have asked for is a replacement base unit. I have bought many items from Amazon and have NEVER had an experience like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Very easy to assemble, good quality, kids love it

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable basketball stand at good price., 24 Jun 2014
Bought with a ball at a good price for my niece's birthday. Quality OK for the price, value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor assembly instructions, 7 May 2014
There were just poor quality photos to guide assembly; the poles needed numbering. It was not obvious which way the base went. Stringing the net on the hoop was particularly difficult.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›