5.0 out of 5 stars Deep, dark and dangerous, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Inheritors (Audio CD)
There is something powerful about this album, it transcends the music and reaches into the dark places of your mind. Sonically (forgive the word), it is really incredible. Every inch of audible bandwidth is consumed by a sound which I think he sampled from the gates of hell. When I first listened to it I thought it was good, clever and perhaps something new. Then I listened again and realised that I was listening to something really special. I have my favourites on the album, but this is not an anthem bashing album so i wont mention them. The experience for me is a challenge, listen if you dare and if you make it all the way through, you wont be the same. As an electronica aficionado it is with great satisfaction to me that there are really great producers out there developing my beloved music......honestly, what an amazing album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Controlled chaos, 29 July 2014
Mr. Mw Arnold "A Young Romantic" (Guildford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inheritors (Audio CD)
I'll stick my neck out and tip this record as a classic - one which listeners and pundits will be returning to and referencing in decades to come. Why? Because James Holden has taken an idea, a methodology (too cold a word!), perhaps a manifesto, and, with vigour and rigour, brought it to uncompromised fruition. It's hard to know where to begin when trying to describe The Inheritors. For sure, where much modern electronic music merely repeats, amid the repetition there's a wonderful sense of evolution in each of the pieces presented here, which work like wordless songs. Darker than, say, Cluster, but not overbearingly so, it only takes a listen or two to become hooked; you'll find yourself slipping into a timeless zone, at once engaged and hypnotized. It's satisfies both intellectually and emotionally; you can project yourself right into it however you please. The overall sense is one of integrity amid the controlled chaos. No cheap tricks here. And sonically it's warm and beautifully crafted. I simply won't be able to leave home without it on my phone. A keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, pure and simple, 7 July 2013
K. R. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inheritors (Audio CD)
What a month for music. The Boards album is their best yet. The new Moderat stuff promises to be fantastic. This is another story though. I bought "Gone Feral" on the day of release, listened a couple of times, hated it. "What's he doing" I thought. Starting to hang around with the wrong crowd probably. Done a Bjork and disappeared up his own bottom. Sad. This isn't the James Holden I've grown to love over the years.

Something bugged me though; he's responsible for my favourite mix CD of the last 10 years - At the Controls - how could he go so badly wrong?

When the album was released I listened to a few tracks on YouTube to confirm my suspicions about what a car crash it was but one track broke through my prejudice. That was "Blackpool Late Eighties". As with all the music I truly love very quickly other tracks started standing out to me; ":a Circle Inside a Circle Inside:", "Inter-City 125", "Delabole", "The Inheritors", then I re-listened to "Gone Feral" and suddenly it made total sense.

So yes, in short, James Holden has made me realise again what a true artist is. The sounds are brutal, the timings are all over the shop, it sounds like electronic warfare, and it's amazing. I promise to never doubt him again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Inheritors (MP3 Download)
Fantastic album - so many levels to the experience, with the depth of the sound almost breathtaking. A really imaginative exploration of electronic music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece!!!!, 4 July 2013
Frank Nielsen "sasha" (denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inheritors (Audio CD)
Wow what a dark magik journey holden puts you on!! His is a genius, i have been waiting for this album for a long time!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Krautrock Electro Masterpiece, 13 Jan 2014
JoD (Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inheritors (Audio CD)
If you like Krautrock and Boards of Canada, well it's time to have a massive eargasm. Album of the century.

The Inheritors
The Inheritors by Holden (Audio CD - 2013)