5.0 out of 5 stars When It's a Jar
"This ... is a jar. A jar being a jar. Therefore it's not a door."

When I read Doughnut, the previously published book by Tom Holt, I thought at the time that he was really back on form; the old wit and delightful nuttiness of a Tom Holt book was back in this one. And When It's a Jar is even better. If you haven't read Doughnut, you are likely to want to,...
Published 9 months ago by Keen Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate
Tom Holt books usually have a nice idea behind them, this does, but not always well executed and sometimes confusing.
Published 6 months ago by DR PAUL E HELLIWELL

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars When it's ajar, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
What a great read. Should have more than 5 star. Couldn't put it down. Need more. Very funny, clever and witty.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 21 Aug 2014
very good read

1.0 out of 5 stars My brain hurts..., 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
I have read lots of Tom Holt books but maybe as a get older I just can't keep up with the multi layered time shifting circular strata of this. My brain hurt trying to remember who was who and why, eventually i didn't care which parallel universe they were in as long as it wasn't mine!

I remember his books simpler and funnier....

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Holt on good form, and stranger than ever! (No Spoilers here), 18 May 2014
Big Ben "fly_mo" (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Paperback)
I found the all-new cast and context this a -little- bit slow to get going - but I cannot remember a Tom Holt romp that I did not enjoy thoroughly, so I kept reading despite a feeling of puzzlement, at first.
Well, it was puzzling for me! (As time goes by, this happens more often....).
But it gradually moves up a gear or two, and the separate threads start to weave into a rather-more-than-usually complex plot that kept me intrigued until (all too soon) it was over.
This is vintage Tom Holt - with a new twist that certainly pleased me. All the wry humour is there, as well as the light touch that makes him such a pleasure to read.
Recommended for all Tom Holt fans, as well as readers new to this excellent author, since this book is set in a fresh context.
(If this is your first Tom Holt, you have many other treats in store for you)

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing Tom Holt, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Paperback)
In the past I have enjoyed all Holt's previous novels but not this one. The text was confused, dodging about from one place to another and never seemed to get going with a proper theme. I managed to finish reading it but it was hard going.

2.0 out of 5 stars ... was part of our book club - my friend's recommended this author and I thought the title sounded cool ..., 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Paperback)
This was part of our book club - my friend's recommended this author and I thought the title sounded cool so I bought it. Really weird story... too fantastical for me, I couldn't get into it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
I am not sure Tom has really got the hang of Youspace and the Multiverse, both this and Doughnut are too disconnected and all over the place to be fluent. I think Tom should return to more stories from J.W. Wells and leave Youspace alone.

2.0 out of 5 stars jarring too much, 6 Jan 2014
Heebee (Highlands, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Paperback)
I hope it was just me in the wrong mood for a Holt, but I found this unfunny, tedious and verbose,
which is a pity because I've been reading him since the first book, and I'd hate to think the touch has been lost.

2.0 out of 5 stars Never finished., 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
Having read and enjoyed other Tom Holt books I was excited to see that a new one had been written.
It started off well but somewhere around the middle I just got bored of it all. This is the first time I have not finished a Holt book. I just didn't care where or how the story ended as I did not feel connected or invested in the characters at all. It just seemed to go on and on about nothing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›