5.0 out of 5 stars When It's a Jar
"This ... is a jar. A jar being a jar. Therefore it's not a door."

When I read Doughnut, the previously published book by Tom Holt, I thought at the time that he was really back on form; the old wit and delightful nuttiness of a Tom Holt book was back in this one. And When It's a Jar is even better. If you haven't read Doughnut, you are likely to want to,...
Published 6 months ago by Keen Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn
There is one problem with this Tom Holt novel. He forgot to make it exciting or interesting in any way. Essentially we have five or six characters chasing each other round different universes for no clear purpose. Because there is always an escape route (anything with a hole in the middle) there is no peril. The only surprise is that the characters are so inept at making...
Published 6 months ago by Camembaert

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a Jar, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Paperback)
Took a while to get into the story, , once a few chapters in it got better. Maybe not as good as past Tom Holt books

5.0 out of 5 stars god read, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed reading this book, which I bought for my kindle. Engrossed from the beginning I compled it in a couple of days. Liked its so much I the bought "doughnut" which, on reflection, i should have read first.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting and seemingly unique., 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
If only sliders had been as entertaining as this book it may have lasted longer.

Would love to see this and doughnut made into films by a creative director they could be great. Perhaps Terry Gilliam or someone with his vision.

My only criticism of the story is that the female character is sort of absence not sure if she could have had more impact.
I realise that these books work best from one characters perspective, though it may have been nice to understand what George was up to as realities never seem to make that clear and Stephanie seemed like great character though never clear in my mind.

Every one that likes to be entertained should read these books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting Better, 19 Jan 2014
Colin Murtagh "Colin Murtagh" (Rotherham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
If you've not read Doughnut, stop, and go read that first. This gets quite convulated at times, but if you've not read the previous book, I'd doubt you'll get through this. I was not overly impressed with the first book, but thought at the time it was a set up, and i think this shows I may be right. We're back in the world of multidimensional hopping, but with some new characters. We're also back to one of Holts favourite ideas, the reluctant, if not downright running away in the opposite direction, hero. And best of all the jokes are back. There are some wonderful little set pieces that should raise a chuckle, and they work well. At times it gets a little complicated, there's only so many worlds you can keep in your head at the one time, but I don't think he ever gets to the stage where it's too complex to follow.
All in a return to form

1.0 out of 5 stars My brain hurts..., 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
I have read lots of Tom Holt books but maybe as a get older I just can't keep up with the multi layered time shifting circular strata of this. My brain hurt trying to remember who was who and why, eventually i didn't care which parallel universe they were in as long as it wasn't mine!

I remember his books simpler and funnier....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Paperback)
Tom Holt, man of comedy has produced yet another brilliant comedy. The fact that the last 3 books have only been in paperback is a bit disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed novels by Tom Holt although I have always considered him a bit too clever for me. Certainly "When it's a jar" is a bit too convoluted for me. I found it difficult at times to follow the storyline. Maybe that's just me. It wouldn't stop me reading any more of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars still keeps me laughing, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
I am always happy to enter a world that writes its own definition of what's going on in the universe. Again I am not disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, if a bit confusing, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
Engrossing book, and I did feel transported into another world, and engaged with the plight of the book's hero. It was bound to be confusing given the multiverse, and it was, but not too bad, once you just let yourself be carried away, and stop trying to figure it all out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting application of doughnuts, 2 Jan 2014
Mr. B Bloxham - See all my reviews
This review is from: When It's A Jar (Kindle Edition)
Some interesting takes on familiar ideas, mixed with the consequences of an exploding God-particle machine. At times it gets a bit sticky, but overall I thought it well worth the read.

When It's A Jar