I think that sometimes when you've anticipated something for so long, you inadvertently manage to build it up to more than it actually turns out to be, which results in a bit of a disappointment, even whilst you're enjoying said thing, and yes, I know that's an oxymoron, yet that was exactly the case here.

Reaver comes over a year after the last Lords of Deliverance books, so I can't entirely recall where/how that one ended, but I do know that at the end, it was revealed that Harvester wasn't quite the baddie we'd been lead to believe she was, and now with Reaver having learned what she'd done to protect his children, the Horsemen, he's determined to save her from Satan and Hell.

So, the tale ends up being the story of his trials to get to her, and once he's gotten her, to get them both to safety. It was never going to be a quick or an easy quest through the bowels of Hell, and whilst the author didn't exactly repeat stuff, for me personally, it felt as if it were hardship/fight/demon type, name and description/slight progress/backtrack and more of the same in the 2/3 of the book that was about their escape. Yes, during that time, both Harvester and Reaver hurt each other with words, but also healed each other with words, and she agreed to release him from a certain promise he'd made under duress, only for him to start to fulfill said promise on his own terms, and what very hot terms those were (though I did have a little trouble reconciling him as a male lead, with him being a grandfather, LOL!).

It then suddenly seemed that all the trials were over and with 1/3 of the book to go, H&R were not quite out of danger, but on Earth, where there was time again for more 'fulfilling of promises', in between the danger, the threats of heaven being invaded by demons, killings and other stuff. There were certain reveals from archangel Metraton that brought H&R closer together, but also opened up the series for more tales, and as there's a snapshot of her next tale, Revenant, it's no secret that he's the one to...get his tale next. That should be interesting, as in this tale, he goes from not-that-bad-an-unknown-quantity to a bit of a baddie, who then seems to help, before the floodgates open and he and Reaver are discovering their true connection and battling each other to the death (which was obviously abortive). So, it seems as if LI will take a baddie and turn him into a perma-non-baddie/anti-baddie into her next book, but there's no mention on her website about when it's out, nor is the book yet listed for pre-order (though there's mention of the next in her Moonbound Clan vampire series which is out in 10/2014, as well as a Demonica novella that's due out in 06/2014).

The sex scenes weren't that plentiful, but for a pair of leads over 5000 years old, one of whom is a granddad, they were pretty hot, and best of all, the tale ended in a HEA for them, and happiness restored for a certain Horseman mated pair. IMHO, this book, a bit like Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon, is one of those that I've wanted desperately to read, but which I don't think I'll be reading again. It was a bit unnecessarily long, which is reflected in the paperback price, and at times it did seem a tiny bit, 'didn't I just read that?'/similar, but it was worth the read to see H&R reunited. I just think that I needed, wanted and expected more from them: more loving, more reparation, more explanations, more angst, more talk, more fighting, more making-up, more...everything.

After this tale, though, all of the original main characters from the Demonica series will have ended up with tales of their own, so as is the case with Ms Kenyon, there's a chance that future books, good as I know LI will make them, may be less than this - yes, I know that's another oxymoron, but SK peaked with Acheron, and what books have come after, seem as if they're diluting the series - and hemorrhaging die-hard fans. I truly hope that that won't be the case with future Demonica novels, as they've simply gotten better and better as they've gone on, as my review of Rogue Rider states.

Overall, this is well worth a read, a bit expensive, didn't quite top Rogue Rider for me, but it's a 'read-and-sell-on', so that I can recoup some of the exorbitant price.
Please note that this review will contain spoilers for previous books in the series so look away now if you haven't read Rogue Rider! I absolutely love the Demonica and Lords of Deliverance books but although each book focuses on a different couple the stories are very intertwined and I think it is essential to read the series in order so you can follow what is happening in the wider world. This is definitely one of my favourite paranormal romance series though so I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

After the shocking revelations in the last book I couldn't wait to pick up Reaver and once I started reading I absolutely devoured it. This series really does get better and better with every book and once again Larissa Ione smashed it. Reaver had everything I hoped for - fantastic romance, super hot sex, action, danger, shocking plot twists and superb world building that introduces us to some fab new characters while still giving us a chance to catch up with some of our old favourites.

When I first found out that Harvester was going to be Reaver's heroine I wasn't convinced that I'd enjoy the story but that was before the revelations in Rogue Rider. How can you not root for a heroine who gave up as much as she did to prevent the end of the world? Yes she has done horrific things as part of her goal to infiltrate hell but she did it with the goal of protecting the Horsemen and preventing the apocalypse. One of the things that I love so much about this series is how the line between good and evil is so blurred. Nothing is black and white so time and time again we have seen "evil" characters do something wonderful and "good" characters who are anything but pleasant. There is a particular archangel in this book that I damn well wanted to punch because he was so nasty!

So anyway, we know that Harvester is an angel who chose to fall so that she could be a spy for heaven, she knew exactly what it would cost her if she was ever discovered and it was a risk she was prepared to take. That doesn't mean she's enjoying the torture though, she is suffering so badly that all she wants to do is die but that isn't an option for her. When Reaver goes to hell to attempt a rescue mission he does it against explicit orders from heaven, they can't risk hell being able to prove that Harvester was a spy or it will start the war to end all wars, one which earth will once again be slap bang in the middle of. Having just averted one apocalypse they aren't keen on starting another but Reaver can't leave Harvest to her fate knowing what she went through for his children. Reaver and Harvester have a much deeper and more complicated history than I could have imagined, I'm not going to go into details but trust me Larissa Ione will astound you with revelation after revelation and I'm sure you'll be as shocked as I was by some of them. It was absolutely fantastic to see this couple start to figure things out and get things back on track but there is just so much going against them - how can a relationship between one of the fallen and an angel ever work? You'll just have to read the book if you want to find out but buckle up and hold on tight because it's one hell of a roller coaster.

I loved the developments in the rest of the Demonica world too. We get to catch up with not just the Horsemen but also the demons from the earlier books and it was great to see how everyone is getting on now. We are also introduced to the next hero Revenant and going by the banter between him and the woman who I strongly suspect will be his heroine I'm going to LOVE his book too. I just can't get enough of these books and I wish we didn't have to wait so long for Revenant to be published!
on 15 January 2014
Well here it is possibly the most anticipated book that Ms Ione has ever written, Reaver! It's set just after the last of the Lords of Deliverance stories and all the revelations they contained. Fast and sexy this world the author has created takes her readers on a fantastic ride and it just feels like the very best roller coaster in heaven or hell!
Reaver is a man possessed with fire as he struggles with both his new knowledge of Harvesters deeds and also his own complicated feelings towards her. Determined to do all he can to save Harvester from Satan and his evil minions. A journey through hell quite literally will test Reavers mettle but the wilful Harvester will test him even more!
Love love love these books! Full of angst and adventure I'm never quite sure just what the author will add to the mixture next and with this amazing book she doesn't disappoint. These are characters who have always hated each other and yet they knew great love once too so this was bound to be one crazy journey .
Fans of this series are finally getting answers to many questions but this book sets up quite nicely for the showdown that's coming in the next Demonica series book.
The war between heaven and hell is far from over as this fast paced spicy read shows and oh boy is it a spicy book! Ms Ione certainly knows how to keep her readers on the edge of their seat with an emotional story.
Absolutely amazing world building and characters that truly deserve happiness.
Definitely a recommended read and if you have missed these then please please start with Pleasure Unbound as these books are a wonderful find for lovers of paranormal romance
on 13 January 2014
Reaver. Larissa Ione
Review from Jeannie Zelos Book reviews.
I loved the early Demonica series, and the new Bound by Night beginnings but I've not read any of the Lords of Deliverance. That proved to be a mistake I think as this books draws heavily on events from those. I found the names and different characters and their histories - spanning some 5,000 years - just too difficult to follow. I've always enjoyed Larissa's style of writing, and maybe if I'd read the L of D series this book would have worked better for me. I enjoyed meeting the Demonica brothers again - always loved their snarky humour and devious ways, but this book had so many others including the leads, Reaver and Harvester, that I didn't really understand that I couldn't get into it. It seemed to be endless battles with people I didn't know, and about characters and events I didn't understand. It was pretty graphic and gruesome at times too - and I'm a terrible wimp about stuff like that. If I'm engaged with the story my mind slips over too much blood and gore but when I'm not I get hit by it in full flood :(
Its a typical L.I. novel in that its full of action, complex plots and spicy sex scenes, and I think if you've followed and loved the Lords series this will be a hit with you. As always its well written, with realistic characters and multiple story arcs leading to a grand finale. Just not one for me, which was something that came as a shock, as I've so much enjoyed her other books I've read.
Stars: three. A well written book that just didn't engage me.
ARC supplied by Netgalley
on 1 April 2014
Although everything pointed to Reaver and Harvester having past history, it was nothing like I expected. Great story line and things did not come to light until towards the end. It was difficult to put this book down and I would fully recommend to anybody who enjoyed reading the Demonica series. Great read. Full of suspense. Thoroughly enjoyed this book and have already pre ordered the next.
on 7 December 2014
I've waited for years to read reavers story and I couldn't put it down, it was thrilling with non stop action between the angels and demons and the romance between reaver and harvester was scorching.
all the characters were great and 3 dimensional they could walk right off the page.
the story starts with reaver planning to rescue harvester from being tortured in hell by her father satan, harvester doesnt know reaver used to be yenrieth the father of the four horsemen of the apocalypse and he was advised by the archangel Raphael not to tell her as she despises yenrieth.
What follows is a fast paced story that is full of twists throughout and it was great reading about the previous characters like eidolon, shade and wraith and all the others who have had their story, I also cant wait to read revenants story as his character seemed grouchy and witty and I think not totally evil.
on 17 January 2015
Reaver has his wings back but the woman he loves is trapped in hell and he wants to get her back. Raphael is dangerous, he has always wanted Harvester and will stop at nothing to get what he wants.
Following their return to the human realm Reaver it taken to underworld hospital and Raphael blackmails Harvester into becoming his mate and returning Limos`s unborn child if she will forget Reaver.
Raphael makes Harvester watch Reaver have his wings taken again and is helpless.
Reaver through one selfless act becomes a Radiant, then he discovers he has a twin, he also gains all his memories both good and bad. Does he and the horsemen get their HEA? Read and find out!
on 9 March 2014
I have loved how this series has changed and moved and never lost sight of what it was. Reaver has been present since book 1 of the Demonica Series, and was a key player in the Lords of Deliverance series. So I was itching to find out what might happen with him, and how his past might impact others. Without giving any spoilers, It was a fantastic reveal, without making anything that has happened so far seem out of character. It wasn't something that would change the course of the books, but it was a well paced and well thought out book. I can't wait for the next in the series.
on 17 July 2015
Wow oh wow this series I keep thinking it can't be topped it must be the best the author has to offer and I keep being proven wrong. I don't have a favourite in this series unusually because they are all damn good. Reaver is easy to dislike only because his actions have hurt so many and set off chain reactions in the world. But underneath it this story is the Romeo and Juliet to top them all. Harvester lost so much and it's understandable now why she is so cold. Wow loved it!!!!!!!
on 13 April 2014
I have been looking forward to reading Reaver's story for a long time, but was slightly apprehensive as I felt that Ione's previous offerings have (excuse the pun) lost the plot, I needn't have worried. With Reaver and Harvester's story Ione once again captured my interest. You will not be disappointed with this one. Let's hope the next book in the series, Revenant, proves as enjoyable - the excerpt at the end of this book has already got me anticipating that release.