Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 4 June 2013
Ok..enough has been said about this film without me giving my five eggs worth. Needless to say: I love it.

It's the blu-ray you may care about. It looks and sound absolutely incredible. The back says it's had a 4k restoration and it certainly looks amazing.

There's a couple of Streisand 'fluff' featurettes on there too. And a UV Copy.

Audio and subtitles are:
English DTS-HD Master 5.0
French, German, Italian, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.0

Subtitles: English, English (HOH), Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin Simplified), Chinese (Mandarin Traditional), French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Thai and Turkish.

If you love this film then I can highly recommend the upgrade to blu-ray!
on 16 May 2016
Firstly I dislike how the DVD has been formatted as if for a theater/cinema audience with the long overture then an interval all on a blank screen which I couldn't skip. Unnecessary I think.
It was also tricky navigating and not user friendly.
Still, it is nice to have the great value DVD to compliment the original cast vinyl recording that I have.
Having seen the show when it opened in the '60's it was good to see Streisand in Funny Girl again after so many years.
I had also seen the original movie years ago and it reminded me how much they partly ruined the theatre version upon transferring it to film.
Some new scenes are great but I hate the new ballet scene inserted at the time and it is also a shame that 2 numbers were dropped from the original theatre production.
On balance a good enough buy at the price.
on 26 February 2016
Having showed Funny giril in 1968 in 70mm 6 track magnectic sound at the columbia theatre shaftsbury avenue i can say that the picture at 1080p
looks great the DTS HD MASTER 5,0 sounds very good but could do with subwoffer
the audio track was taken from the original 6 track mag remixed 5,0 its good to have the orginal play in intermission title playin the music at the end
is the play out in all a exelent 4k restoration
on 15 January 2016
Streisand at her finest. She does comedy and pathos with equal brilliance and can belt out a tune better than anyone. Unless you have a heart of stone the closing number, "Oh my man I love him so" will have you reaching for the tissues.
on 16 January 2016
Waited 3 weeks for delivery. Then it wouldn't play on 3 different sources, DVD player, PlayStation or Laptop. It cost nearly as much
to send it back as I didn't realise it was coming from Canada!
on 11 August 2015
I was completely unaware of the regional difference i.e. Region 1 due to it being imported from the U.S.A. so I was unable to play it my DVD player as I do not have a multi regional player. I was so dissappointed as I love this film. However I am able to view it via my P.C.
on 11 July 2013
It was well worth the wait. Columbia has done a 4-bit restoration and it is nearly perfect. I have given it only 4 stars as the sound is 5.0 DTS and not 5.1. It is a shame that the sub-woofer doesn't get a go. Apart from that I have no other issues with the restoration. Barbara won the Best Actress Oscar for her role in Funny Girl and well deserved. 1968 the only time in Best Actress history where there was a tie! The other joint winner was Katherine Hepburn for The Lion in Winter. Amazon.co.uk has Funny Girl at the moment as a Two for 10 pounds special - so be quick!
on 5 August 2013
If you like musicals this is a must. The blue ray quality is excellent as is the sound. Barbra Striesand makes a great Fanny Brice a girl determined to make it in show business and with Omar Sharif as her carming gambling husband makes for a great combination. This film is colourful and entertaining with some good songs. To sum up. This is a good old musical comedy with an excellent blue ray picture and really good 5 channel sound and a good storeyline.
on 26 October 2013
A must have for any collection of musicals. Barbra Streisand has never been better and Omar Sharif is an excellent Nick Arnstein.
The movie is a lovely blend of humour and pathos which really engages its audience. The songs are wonderful and the set piece production numbers fantastic
on 23 February 2014
An excellent remastering of a wonderful musical. Picture is sharp (for the most part although there are a few soft focus close ups of 'la streisand') and rich warm colour. The sound is 5.0 DTS Master but this can be increased to 7.1 or 9.2 surround if you have the necessary extra channels on your home cinema amp). Definately the best version/format of this movie. The remastering is quite obvious (though not in the same class as the Blu Ray remastering of "Hello Dolly" or "Ten Commandmends" - both of which take the top prize)