5.0 out of 5 stars This book has lit a fire in me!
There are countless 'jack it all in and do what you love' books, but if I could impart one piece of advice with total confidence it would be to forget the others and buy this one, like RIGHT NOW.

Published 7 months ago by Miss L Page

3.0 out of 5 stars Deliver us from Mills and Boon!
An enjoyable enough read when the author sticks to the topic (the journey), but he too often goes into cringe-worthy dewey eyed babble about a girl that would have been edited out as too soppy even for a Mills and Boon novel.

I had to force myself to read on a few times when reading such paragraphs.

I did finish the book, and found it to be quite...
Published 13 months ago by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has lit a fire in me!, 25 Nov 2013

Dave perfectly balances an intrinsically humble attitude with sharing the deep pleasure and sheer exhillaration of serious adventures that challenge him physically, mentally and emotionally. He writes with an easy conversational style which I'd compare to a modern-day Jack Kerouac, only less random and bonkers...

In between liberating, life-affirming and sometimes spooky experiences on the road, Dave very gently and very thoughtfully prompts us to question the way we prioritise our lives.

Within the first 10 pages, this book had awoken something in me that's probably been dormant since I knucked down into the responsibilities of adult life - maybe not a full on bonfire just yet, but the embers are definitely glowing!

Dave writes with such positive attitude and spirit of adventure that he'll make you want to get out there and LIVE, immediately.

What more could you want from a book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about an interesting adventure, 10 Dec 2013
Dave's journey from Memphis to Miami by Bikecar forms the central and most interesting part of this book. He successfully evokes the spirit of that part of America, giving life to the characters and landscapes he meets. In a very un-English way, he is very candid about his emotions - perhaps all that time in America is rubbing off on him?

Looking forward to reading about the swim in due course, I suspect it will be a good story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another "boys own adventure"!, 4 Sep 2013
N. Tee (uk) - See all my reviews
Dave Cornthwaite's book "Life in the slow lane" is so much more than just another boys tale of adventure. A heart warming read from the start, Dave's writing style draws you in completely. It's like being told the story by an old friend, filled with wit and humerous observations on life, love and the strange lives of our friends 'across the pond'!

I purchased this book wanting to read about the adventures Dave has experienced, but got so much more! Whilst telling the story of his epic 1000 mile journey on 'Priscilla' the bike car you learn about what makes Dave take on these challenges, and what made Dave take his life from the average plod of a standard job, to a life filled with new adventures, new challenges and new friends across the World.

"Life in the slow lane" is as much about challenging our perceptions of what makes us happy and how we can take life by the horns and seek fullfilment through adventure, as it is about the adventure itself. It has inspired me to look at my own life and re-visit the simple things that can offer huge rewards, I'll be spending more time on my bike from now and I'm planning on buying a decent hammock!

All in all this book was the perfect companion for a week spent on the beach, inspiring my own children to take on a life of adventure by introducing them to surfing and kayaking on the superb coast of Cornwall. I'm about to look at Dave's other books now as I'm ready to read more, I suggest you do the same.

Review by a newly invigorated Adventurer - Andrew Tee

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure incarnate inspires the strength to make positive changes, 21 Aug 2013
Explorer and motivational speaker Dave Cornthwaite carries us from his desk in Swansea to the Pacific Ocean and through the deep south of the United States with flare, energy and determination. His philosophy for happiness is a tonic for inspiration in his latest work. He approaches love, sporadic gunfire, prehistoric predators in Florida's swamps and stone cold hunger with humour, flare and a refreshingly self-depricating tone. A thrilling read that will glue you to your couch in an effort to inspire you get off it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be inspired, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Life in the Slow Lane: a patient quest for adventure (Kindle Edition)
Dave Cornthwaite's ethos is to "say yes more", to make every moment and every opportunity count. That ethos comes to life in the pages of his latest book, which is as engaging as it is thought-provoking. Combining stories from his Expedition1000 series of original adventures, including sailing from Mexico to Hawaii and pedalling a BikeCar from Memphis to Miami, "Life in the Slow Lane" will be an inspiration for anyone with the faintest spark of ambition for living their life unconstrained by convention. Eloquent, insightful and funny, I'd highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!!, 3 Jun 2014
Reading this really put life in perspective. Dave shows how you can achieve so much with such a simple idea

His words resonate in my head like your favourite song on repeat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 21 Mar 2014
Dave's book is great! Really enjoyed reading it, well written, funny and builds a lovely picture in your head of a fantastic journey through USA. Leaves you wanting to take up a mad, different adventure of your own and say 'yes' more. Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to experience this book!, 18 Feb 2014
I am not normally a fan of books that are not far fetched fiction. I like the escape factor, drawing myself away from the daily hum drum of urban living. For brief periods you can be a pirate or detective etc. My point, non fiction books have never appealed at all. However, clearly, I read this one and I fell in love with it.

I picked it up on a random encounter with Dave's other work, 50 ways to make 50. He came and gave a talk at my University and I sadly missed it. I did however have a natural curiosity towards how someone can hold the title 'adventurer' in the modern age so did some googling. I have never though of myself as the jealous type, it turns out I am a rather jealous person afterall! Dave had done all these amazing things, skate boarded across Auz, SUP'ed down the Mississippi, doing random jobs for the day and I had to know more.

I immediately purchased this book and, although I was initially excited, I thought this would not be my 'cup of tea' so I delayed it somewhat. This was even after being enthralled by the section amazon lets you access for free, I could not get over my concept of this is not my sort of thing. Ironic really as the book is about Dave's journeys, seeking new experiences and saying yes more to things as well as a chunk of the experiences in his life.

The book itself is refreshingly honest about his adventures, what he takes away from them and the periods when it is all done, his 'post adventure' lows. Daves writting style (not that I am in anyway an expert on this) flows from page to page, I found myself swept up in his quest for a lady friend, his sailing and how he interacts with people on his journey. I marveled at his recount of everything that happened especially considering how busy his life sounded on the page.

Dave is living my boyhood dream of adventure and doing something most adults only dream off, enjoying life AND funding it doing things he loves. He sees challenge in pushing himself and getting out more and all of this due to waking up one day and realizing he didn't like the urban trapping.

I fell in love with this book and the ideas behind it. It opened my eyes to the fact I probably do not know myself as well as I thought and to do one small thing new every week and I have stuck to it. So far I have taken a different path to work and found a botanic garden, taught myself how to whistle with my fingers, taught myself to ride a bike as well as a few other interesting things.

I end on this point then, no other book/tv show/article has ever, really, inspired me to change my outlook on life. This one did. Maybe it can do the same for someone else so is it not it worth reading the taster at least to find out?

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your usual adventure book, much better. Funny with a twist of 'blimey that was close', 10 Dec 2013
What can I say, this book certainly starts with a bang! Pedalling a bike car 1000 miles is a story in itself, but add to that, near-death experiences, people wanting to fight you, the kindness of strangers, camping, sailing in the Pacific and even a hint of a love story. There is definitely something for everyone. (Even if your entire family is called Billy). Well done Dave. Your other books are on my Christmas wish list. So if anyone would like to put a smile on my face... Boardfree The Story of an Incredible Skateboard Journey Across Australia by Cornthwaite, Dave ( AUTHOR ) Mar-17-2008 Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Go out there and find adventure! (and buy this book!), 9 Dec 2013
After buying the Life in the Slow Lane personally from Dave himself, having listen to him speak three times, I was keen to read his book. Having read his Philosophy of Adventure on his website, followed his adventures, and gained strength from his convictions and proof that you don't have to conform to the 9-5 lifestyle that everyone preaches, I had hoped that Life in the Slow Lane would be equally inspirational. It was.

Life in the Slow lane is a call to arms for anyone with the spirit of adventure running through their veins to go out there and live their life for today, to go out there and FEEL ALIVE. To embrace whatever unexpected joys come your way when you make the leap of faith into the unknown and adventure. Dave's book is deliciously easy to pick up and read cover to cover, and his humour will genuinely make you laugh out loud. After having listened to Emily Penn speak, their shared story became more alive, and the honest beauty of their close bond, and explorations of the philosophies of different ways of living adds another dimension to the book. It speaks true of the saying that you will find love when you stop looking for it, and instead do what you love. Indeed, who wouldn't agree that 'Life is pretty good alone, but its immensely epic when shared'?. And indeed, Dave's experiences meeting different people from all walks of life along his journey are what add life to his trip by Bikecar from Memphis to Miami. From Tommy and Mary and their fearsome Chihuahuas, to Sarah and her advice when it was most needed, Dave brings his friends to life through his words, and bring you along with every pedal of the way, whilst inspiring you to go and adventure yourself!

He ends with some simple, but very good advice. 'If you're ever lacking in motivation, the best way to get out of a rut is to combine three simple words. Say Yes More (.com).'

His philosophies aren't thrown in your face, or forced upon you, but are simple, wise, and true. And they might just change your life.