5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound
Published 12 months ago by Robin M. Hunter

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great.
Published 9 months ago by ambersound2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, 23 Aug 2013
Robin M. Hunter (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London (Audio CD)
The previous reviewer can rest assured that this cd in my opinion contains the original recordings - the sound is excellent and indicates that these have not been taken from a vinyl source. The booklet contains useful info on the group and their recording of the album itself in London as well as 4 picture sleeves in colour. The cd also includes 2 tracks. (the last two) by Bo Winberg, the lead guitarist, as The Feenades on which he plays all the instruments. The first of these tracks is one of Michael Carr's compositions, Kontiki, a famous hit for The Shadows.

Overall a very worthwhile purchase - hope Cherry Red release more of their albums with non-album singles tracks like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars the start of something good, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London (Audio CD)
I still have this album on vinyl it is one of my all time favourites.
so this album with it,s extra tracks is now one of my favourite cd,s
this album alongside THE VENTURES COLOURFUL VENTURES and THE SHADOWS first album ranks as one of the best
guitar group albums ever

4.0 out of 5 stars The Spotnicks - Out-A-Space, 6 Oct 2013
W. Baker (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London (Audio CD)
I had this album on vinyl many years ago and having lost it long ago I bought this album for reasons of nostalgia as I seemed to recall that it was quite good - and it still is. At their peak round about the time that the Shadows and The Ventures were the leading instyrumental groups, The Spotnicks sound is something of a blend of both of those groups, a uniquely distinctive echo-type sound of their own and shades of early Les Paul on of some of their guitar breaks - but this hotch-potch works well, apart from the occasional vocals which are cringeworthy. For anyone not around in the early 1960's who hasn't heard them before, this album will sound very dated, and to a certain extent it does to me too, but for those of us who were around then and remember The Spotnicks, this is an album worth having if only for musical accompanyment on a trip down memory lane. Otherwise, for anyone looking for an album by a top-notch sixties instrumental group, look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for listening or as background to work...., 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London (Audio CD)
This a well-produced and absorbing introduction to Sweden's first international best-sellers, tragically originally released in Britain on the rather marginal (but so redolent of the pre-Beatles 60s) Oriole label. The album contains even more than the excellent Swedisc CD of the late 1990s,straying into 'Spotnicks in Paris' territory and adding some Bo Winberg-only tracks. I first bought the original album in early 1963, and it's still (once you get over the rather trebly sound of Winberg's guitar) excellent, with the acoustic tracks adding variety to the outstanding rock instros. No-one ever says it but isn't 'the Rocket Man' the same tune that the Krew kats recorded somewhat earlier as 'Samovar'? Certainly 'Moonshot' is a reworking of the Fireballs' 'Rimshot'. Not that it matters, this is a great album for listening or working to. One of my kids' friends also thinks the cover photo is delightful ('postmodernism before modernism!' was his comment).

Great album. Buy it.

When is someone going to point out that 'What did I say' is actually 'What d' I say'?

Still a great album, which I'm still playing after 50 years...

5.0 out of 5 stars Over The Moon, 17 Mar 2014
Mr. Ronald Armstrong (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London (Audio CD)
I have been waiting 50 years for this album to appear on cd, and at last a record company has seen the light. I have the original album on vinyl, and over played it. As a teenager I was greatly into instrumental rock n roll, and this is a superb example which puts The Spotnicks up there with bands such as The Shadows and The Ventures. They had a unique sound which was readily identifiable when heard on the radio. Love it , and the additional tracks are a huge bonus. Hats off to Cherry Red Records.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London (Audio CD)
I was a fan in my teens but have lost all my old 45's so this disc has brought back many memories.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is the Original (LP) Recordings & sleeve picture..., 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London (Audio CD)
..However The first track from each side of the original LP ("Orange Blossom Special" and "The Rocket Man" Tracks 1 & 8 on the CD) sounds like "fake Stereo", but unless your using headphones it don't really show. The rest of the original LP (tracks 2-6 & 9-14) are true Stereo.
The rest of the tracks here are either Mono or true Stereo. It is still enjoyable, so wack up the stereo speakers and see how good these guys were.
Unlike some others the Spotnicks don't sound too bad in Stereo, Although I prefer mono myself, as that is how my old LP was.
At less than a tenner it's worth having. These are digital quality, and are not vinyl rips.
To me their sound was unique, nothing like the Shadows, Ventures, Gladiators etc..
The Spotnicks were in 1962 also unique in having their guitars connected to their amps via wireless transmitters and receivers, and as the LP sleeve notes say, they used all their own equipment on the recording session, leaving Oriole records to just supply the Stereo recording facilities.
Some say the vocal tracks are throw aways, I disagree, "Ol' Man River" is a gem, unique in it's own right. "I'm Going Home (To See My Baby) is a great European sounding alternative to the Gene Vincent & Sounds Incorporated version from a year earlier to in my opinion. This is one CD where you will find you play it loud.
Very good and recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spotniks, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London (Audio CD)
Having seen the group in my young days and buying the LP I have been trying for ages to get a CD of the original record - well here it is and bonus tracks - eat your heart out instrumental lovers

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London (Audio CD)
Difficult! I own the original vinyl album and have been waiting for a cd release. I don't think the quality is great, but neither was the original album. I love the tracks which is why I bought it in the first place, but the extra tracks include a number of vocals which are quite weak. I have also collected a number of re-issue albums recorded somewhat later than these originals, and in my opinion, sound just as good, if not better. It is a matter of taste, but I am glad to have finally got a cd copy of my original album.

5.0 out of 5 stars I personally like it, 20 Aug 2014
Mr. A. Wright (UK) - See all my reviews
Good CD but it depends on your own taste I like instrumental music so I like it but others might not

Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London
Out-A-Space - The Spotnicks In London by The Spotnicks (Audio CD - 2013)