4.0 out of 5 stars Bizzare packaging.
Published 21 months ago by dazzprince2

Published 21 months ago by TCH

4.0 out of 5 stars Bizzare packaging., 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Scared To Get Happy: A Story Of Indie-Pop '80-'89 (Audio CD)
Agree with the previous two reviews. Great music let down by bizzare packaging, i managed after some time to liberate the discs from the packaging with some minor damage. Problem two is you can't get them back in without risking further damaged, however, I have now compromised and put them into plastic sleeves attached with cellotape...Not that i should have to do this, but don't want to return the box as I imagine they are all like this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Solid timecapsule of 80's indie compromised by poor packaging...., 29 Jun. 2013
TCH (Cambs, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This set has had mixed reviews with the Guardian, Mojo, Arts Desk all giving middling reviews for various reasons. Straight off the bat I have to say I think the song selection is pretty solid with about 2-3 "duds" per disk which isn't a bad hit rate when there are 134 tracks. Also despite having quite a lot of 80's indie I only had 10-tracks on the set and so a lot of this music is new to me. Yes, as the reviews state the set has been seriously compromised by the lack of some big names (Smiths, Felt, Postcard era Orange Juice, Aztec Camera & Josef K, a 'proper' J&MC track as opposed to a demo, etc) but I suspect that a lot of the potential buyers of this set will already have the "big names" of 80's indie and so I tend to be more forgiving on this point.

One can nitpick endlessly about the song selection for a set of this size and yes, even with the big names missing there are glaring song substitutions such as the rickety "God Bless" instead of "Therese" from The Bodines. However in the main the set is listenable bar some abrasive post-punk tracks sneaking in, such as Big Flame (not a good track), Josef K (the clangourous "The Missionary" instead of the brilliant, jangling "Sorry For Laughing" which was proto-indie in excelsis). Finally on this subject I have to point out that 'Vote For Love' by Jamie Wednesday might just be the worst song I've ever heard in my life, perfectly summing up everything that detractors accused 80's indie of being (twee, precious, inept, clunky, etc).

Therefore overall I'd recommend this set bar one enormous problem..... the packaging which is atrocious. As the other reviewer intimated you need nerves of steel or an engineering degree to get the discs out since they are tightly packed in the set with a 'Heath-Robinson' disc release mechanism (made of flimsy plastic which looks like it might stay intact, ooh maybe 5 minutes). It means you have to flex the disc to release them (at least until you've had some practice!) and sure enough my disc 1 has been compromised with the last track by the TV Personalities being corrupted. I contacted Cherry Red about this and they've not responded, very disappointing after the excellent service I had from Ace Records after reporting the mastering error on Disc 1 of their recent (superb) Country Joe & The Fish reissue. I am therefore debating whether to return the item as faulty despite the fact I'd like to keep it, in part due to Cherry Red's aloof attitude to customer service [I'd requested a replacement disc #1 or failing that an MP3 of the corrupted last track, seems I was being being unreasonable....].

UPDATE: A day after I wrote above review I've found a second track - this time trk 26 on CD#4 'Lee Remick' has corrupted with pronounced 'skipping' towards the end of the song. Again I put this down to having to flex the CDs in order to remove them from the lousy packaging. Cherry Red have really dropped the ball on this one, not helped by their arrogant attitude and contemptuous attitude to their customers. I'm therefore changing my recommendation to a definite do not buy due to the packaging issues (I've also docked my original 3-star review to 2-stars to reflect this).

5.0 out of 5 stars A great box set covering the whole 80's indie set, 26 Sept. 2013
YeahYeahNoh (Willenhall, West Midlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
In some ways the strength of this collection is also its weakness.
Covering 'indie' music from the decade when it perhaps could be deemed to have really taken off is a broad remit, and for many of us living through the period we will have a favourite part of the decade often coupled with an illogical dislike of others, often bordering on fanatical.
Song choices are good. There are cases where I would have preferred others by the same artists (Soup Dragons for example), many where the choice was perfect (Aztec Camera for example), and a few that are weird but presumably driven by the difficulty of licencing (Jesus & Mary Chain springs to mind, though it's still a great song).
On any collection there are always a few you'd rather not have, and that's the case here, but these are few and far between.
So, packaging... something of a bugbear for many here it seems.
When I received the set I'd seen the reviews and at first could see exactly what they meant. It is an odd way of holding discs, and not one I'd like to be seen repeated. Having said that, I found that if each disc was pushed down against its retaining fully it did just about come out without flexing, and returns in a similar way. Still one of the most difficult things I've encountered in a CD package before though, but you do have to admit it looks great. For me the whole set is now digitised and unlikely to be often removed, so not so big an issue, but if you were taking them in and out regularly it would be easy to damage them.

2.0 out of 5 stars My Ears Hurt, 18 July 2013
Most of the debate concerning this boxset centres around track selection which is what you'd expect with this type of release.
I find the mastering unlistenable. This is sonically rotten, all shrill high end treble and no bottom at all.
Whilst I appreciate we're not reviewing roots reggae, I have a lot of these tracks elsewhere and they all sound better.
Someone new to this scene would have no idea why so many of these tracks were beloved.
Cherry Red drop the ball again (I still haven't forgiven them for the puny Monochrome Set "Lost Weekend" reissue).
Now, where's the aspirin?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic box set, but it takes the krypton factor to get the discs out, 28 Jun. 2013
As my title suggests, this is a treause trove of material from a great era, however, God knows who designed the box set as trying to get the disc out of their holdings without the risk of snapping them is impossible. I don't know if it is a fault with my box, but had to slightly bend them to get out and now they don't sit firmly when put back in.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sum of Indie Pop Scene, 4 Aug. 2013
F. Scatena "FAB4" (Milan, Italy) - See all my reviews
Something is out from this compilation, but this is a remarkable effort to list the music of an era where music was the focus and DIY the dogma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation but...., 12 July 2013
While this is a fantastic compilation even without the artists missiing(through contractual reasons)I am amazed that this is so expensive here. On Cherry Reds own site it is listed as £34.99. I fully expected it to be cheaper here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good collection; absurd packaging, 4 Aug. 2013
J B (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Sorry, it's hard to recommend this. It's all good, but low on rarities.

As others have said, the packaging is bad. In my view the worst I have ever seen.

Cherry Red again disappoints. It's time for them to hire a professional who understands how CDs should be mastered and packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT REAL INDIE, 8 July 2013
Apart from the packaging of the Cd's, the music is great, 5 Cd's filled to the max of some great rarities and some even unreleased stuff. A lot I don't know and I thought I new my indie, I'm already on the hunt or buying albums of these bands. Standout groups I didn't know are the SCARS and RUMBLEFISH. Even has a booklet that talks about the groups and songs. Brilliant music is what really makes this comp great.
Great Price for 5 CD's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music......but really the packaging, 23 July 2013
Jim O'Donnell (Geneva, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Like everyone else I have no complaints with the music, but whoever designed the packaging needs a good slap.

When I tried to gently press back the spindles the first one snapped!! Had to bend discs 1 and 4 to get them out, so like others my discs are now in other sleeves and wont be put back in the box to avoid further damage to either the disc or the box. I must have over 100 multi disc box sets and this is by far the worst packaging of any in my collection.

Sadly Cherry Red do seem to have a proplem with quality control at times, my last purchase The Falls Re-Mit on vinyl was very badly warped, and the Tangerine Dream Zeit box set was also pretty poor.

Scared To Get Happy: A Story Of Indie-Pop '80-'89
Scared To Get Happy: A Story Of Indie-Pop '80-'89 by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2013)