on 27 April 2014
It upsets me to see this book rated so poorly just because Amazon messed up.

Like many people, I preordered the book and when it was sent to my device it was actually just an error message. The error message provides a URL that doesn't actually load for me. I tried the usual fixes - deleting the book from my kindle, then resyncing again. This didn't work, but the fix is simple.

Just contact Amazon Kindle Support (I did it through the Chat support), give them the name of the book, and they will manually resend you the updated version and ask you to resync your Kindle. It took less than 5 minutes, and the problem was fixed.

Manage your Kindle > Kindle Help Home > Kindle Customer Service (Contact Us)

Kindle > My Kindle Books and Periodicals > Purchased Content Didn't Download > Chat

Just explain your problem and that after resyncing you still get the error message. They'll sort it out for you very swiftly :D
on 20 March 2014
A great short story about Alec and Magnus's first date, complete with misunderstandings, comedy of errors, a bit of action, plenty of romance, and a little poignancy at the end (although we won't know how poignant until the last of the Mortal Instruments series comes out in May!).

Magnus's character is always entertaining and vivid, with his strange mixture of agelessness and humour. But it was great to see inside Alec's head in way we don't get to in the Mortal Instruments. It's all too easy to see what Magnus saw in him ;)

This short story is written in a simpler style than the main series, and is a very quick read.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 September 2015
"He wondered if Alec was aware that Magnus was three hundred years old and whether Alec was considering just how impotent one might become after that much time."

This tenth novella in the bane chronicles collection is another look into the relationship building between Alec Lightwood and Magnus. I loved them in the main series; their secret, whirlwind relationship keeps me hooked and I'm ashamed to admit I'm probably more invested in them than I am in the rest of the main characters which I doubt was Cassandra Clare's intention.

Magnus is usual such a cool cat, no pun intended, and to some extent Alec is pretty stoic and almost dull hiding in the shadows of the other shadow hunters. For that reason it was so refreshing to see Magnus uncomfortable and losing his cool on his first date with Alec - I loved every minute of it.

These two characters couldn't be more different but their terrible, and I mean catastrophically terrible, first date was the best worst first date I've ever read. It genuinely had be in stitches the whole way through.

For those of you who love the MALEC romance, you'll love this first date novella. Additionally, for fans of the series or just of Magnus and his novellas, we were led to be believe this was the final novella of this collection but fear not, there is another flamboyant instalment for is involving the voicemails of Magnus Bane. Keep your eyes peeled!
on 13 April 2014
I've given 4 stars for the book but am really reviewing to complain about Amazon & explain what I did to fix the problem.

I had the same problem everyone else did with the book downloading early but with an error message. Fine, a mistake was made, that happens.

However, when it came time for the book to really be released - same issue. Still an error message. Amazon send me an email saying go to Amazon and click on the "update" option next to the book - there is no option.

I contact Amazon & they tell me that the problem is that *I* have mistakenly returned the book for a refund so I should reorder. (1) I didn't return anything (2) I can't reorder because the Amazon website thinks I already have the book (3) they're now trying to charge me more than the pre-order price.

After going back & forth with Amazon not paying attention to anything I said, trying to blame me, and giving "solutions" which come nowhere near to the problem I eventually managed to "solve" it myself.

I went to manage my kindle, deleted the item and then repurchased. However, this may mean that I've paid twice as deleting in this way is essentially like throwing the book in the bin, it's not like just removing it from your kindle.

Poor systems & poor customer service Amazon.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2014
Looks like amazon refunded when they recalled the preordered book and now they want more pennies for it... A wee bit cheeky that is amazon. I cannot do as your email suggested and update and re delivering just puts the same error document back in the kindle app. Please sort yourselves out,
on 27 August 2014
I am a huge fan of Cassandra Clare and her Mortal Instruments series, so to read about my two favourite characters Alec and Magnus on their first date... I had to buy this! It's very sweet and funny at times (Alec being called a ninja). The writer Sarah did a great job, I think, getting both Alec's and Magnus' feelings across even with it being in Magnus' p.o.v. was lovely to read. This is the first Bane chronicle book I have read, and won't be the last. I have already pre-ordered the hardback version and looking forward to having them all together. I would recommend this to all Malec fans as it's such a great insight into both Magnus and Alec.
on 21 April 2014
Ok! Let me begin by saying I'm a huge Cassandra fan, I've read all of the mortal instruments and all of the previous bane chronicles, I pre-ordered this book in November awaiting the release in December, when the date got pushed further to January, I was pretty disappointed but I waited regardless, when they said February I was frustrated but thought ' oh well just one more month ' but now it's been four months of waiting and I'm just Angry. Very disappointed :(
on 27 March 2014
I've downloaded, deleted, bought the book again and still keep getting the error letter instead of the book! When I reported this to Amazon help they told me how to download a book from my kindle list - I know how to do that but the book isn't there, the cover is but when you open it you get a page saying there has been an error! Please sort this out and let us know when you have
on 8 June 2014
I have on thing to say: BUY THIS!!! Buy this as if you life depends upon it!!! It is one of the best things I have EVER read! And I have read a lot! I LOVE MAGNUS!!! I LOVE ALEC!!! I LOVE MALEC!!! This is brilliant, funny, sweet and I didn't want it to end! And I think that says it all.
on 1 April 2014
Why am I still getting it downloading as an error message amazon have deleted and downloaded again 3 time on both kindle and iPhone with no joy so frustrating : /
Finally got to read after contacting amazon directly to sort the issue out.