4.0 out of 5 stars This is a Breville BES870XL
Wow, I am impressed! I've always searched the market for an espresso machine that would look and perform like a commercial one and unfortunately I never came across one and so I ended up buying several DeLonghi machines over the last 15 years.

This is a Breville BES870XL, it's sold in the UK under the brand name Sage and I assume it's a new product to the UK (I...
Published 16 months ago by The Price is Right

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent machine but watch out for some pitfalls
This machine makes great coffee. It really does. And it looks good. Also heats up quickly and the steaming lacks the power of more expensive machines, which means that it will be much easier to get decent froth if you're a beginner.

However, after living with it for a while i must say that it has an inferior grinder that doesn't produce consistent enough grind,...
Published 7 months ago by Kostas

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant machine it took a few days to get used ..., 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Barista Express Coffee Machine and Grinder, 1700 Watt - Silver (Kitchen & Home)
This is a brilliant machine it took a few days to get used to the various settings but was well worth the effort as the quality and taste of the coffee it produces is first class. I shopped around for a good supplier of freshly roasted coffee and I am still experimenting with all they have to offer. Even got my tea loving wife asking me to make her a cup of decaf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply one of the best., 27 Jun. 2014
Alex (Castle Donington, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a great machine. I've had a few bean-to-cup machine in my time and am a self-confessed coffee snob and this machine absolutely delivers! I have never had a fully auto bean to cup produce coffee to this standard - I really don't think it's possible unless you luck-out on the beans you buy and they're precisely what the bean-to-cup machine was calibrated for. The level of control of this beauty means you can dial in your beans in a few shots and produce something other-worldly. No really: you can produce "perfect" espressos with this machine and it's soooo satisfying getting the grind, dose and tamp dialled in and seeing your perfect draw for the first time. And once it's dialled in for that bean, you'll get perfect results every time :-)

If you're in the market for a bean-to-cup machine and don't mind self-tamping and moving the portafilter from the grind-doser to the extractor (oh noes!) and then rinsing it afterwards then that teeny tiny bit of extra effort is, in my opinion, really worth it for the results. You should definitely consider this as a serious contender. Not only that, but it has fewer moving parts (no brew unit like in the autos) and so your money is being spent on quality components and consistent results rather than fancy automation and electronics.

Oh yes, and it comes with a proper steam wand, not one of those silly auto-fluff things so you can properly texture your milk rather than create a bubble bath.

Pros:
OMG the coffee is amazing
Consistency
Ability to dial-in any bean
Quality
Great Steam wand

Cons:
Lose that one-button and walk away ease-of-use compared to a full auto
Requires a little more skill?

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely machine easy to work, 11 Dec. 2014
Is everything I wanted, lovely machine easy to work, coffee is great .x

5.0 out of 5 stars Super star ... Not cheap but worth it, 11 Mar. 2015
Delivered today ! Takes a little bit of experimentation to get it right ! But it is a good machine. It is not totally auto but similar to the process in a coffee shop ! Need to tamp down the coffee, but it does give you great control ! Got my beans from Costco lavazza v nice ! Steamer works well also but get yourself a cheap temp gauge sell them on Amazon . The machine comes with its own stainless jug ... So you put the temp gauge in the jug ! Just like a coffee shop so u get the right froth temp . Build quality is excellent. Need to spend some time reading the manual but once u get the hang of it u can make coffee in the same time as Starbucks !

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy one now, 27 Feb. 2015
Yeah - I like this a lot. I've been building my coffee skills over the last year...changing machines and upgrading things. Ended up with this one and I love it. Comes out perfectly every time.
YOU DO HAVE TO GET THE SETTINGS AND GRIND PERFECTED, TAKES A FEW ATTEMPTS.

The steam wand is brilliant for a themoblock - very powerful. I used the Gaggia Classic steamer before and that was pants compared to this. The grinder is great and with auto delivery. For the price, and an all in one fairly manual machine, you can't really go wrong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks spectacular but one big flaw., 25 Jan. 2014
Davide Pirola (UK) - See all my reviews
Right, this machine is great, no doubt about it.

One big flaw I cannot seem to fix is how to make _hot_ coffee. No matter what I try, it's just lukewarm.
I don't understand why if I just use the hot water toggle the machine produces nearly boiling water in seconds.
Surely the heating mechanist should be the same, so I'm really puzzled about it.

Seems like the more expensive the machine is the more problem it has producing hot coffees.
I've few other cheaper machines, never a problem with hot water...

If I ever find a fix for that, then it's a 5 star.

2.0 out of 5 stars Purchased from John Lewis, 20 Jun. 2014
I purchased this machine from John Lewis and am I glad I did. First couple of days it made perfect coffee. I then found I could not grind the coffee course enough to get the pressure down into the optimum range. I had it set to its courses setting. Called sage, who were very helpful. They decided the machine should be replaced by JL. The new one would not grind course enough from the start. Wasted heaps of different coffee beans ( one day roasted to tinned ones from supermarket), but could not get it course enough. On the courses setting, it was as fine as filter coffee. Spoke to Sage who said it was the coffee I was using. I returned it to JL and got a Saeco and great coffee. It was a shame as the Sage made great coffee, looked really good and I would still like one. I love coffee made straight from the bean and the Sage did it great when it worked. I spent ages taking the coffee grinder out and cleaning it thoroughly but to no avail

5.0 out of 5 stars Fainnly I can make my great caffe without going to any cafe, 31 Dec. 2014
Fainnly I can make my great caffe without going to any cafe, I can clearly say that this machin does the gob perfectly. I do recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine doing the job, 28 May 2014
It has everything you need without extra funky options. I have owned it for 6 months now. Took me a while to get around it, I think i didn't want to believe what was mentioned everywhere by Sage i.e. fresh beans, what I thought was marketing; started with regular supermarket ones then better quality ones but still was disappointing. Until I found a local supplier. So watch the videos on Sage website to make sure you understand all the settings and buy yourself once a month some fresh beans. It's a great machine that deserves good products; if you can't be bothered then the nespresso is probably an easier/better choice. And the customer service at Sage has been great; if you have any questions, contact them and they will try to help; I believe its always the same kind of questions they get but they were still very helpful. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars better than Gaggia, 18 Feb. 2014
My day starts with a perfect coffee. Double espresso with a top of hot water to make a fantastically strong, long black coffee with a gorgeous creamy top. If this doesn't happen, I am not happy and will not drink the coffee produced.
I have to date owned and used 4 Gaggia classic machines and using Illy espresso ground coffee, been very happy with the coffee produced. The reason I have had several Gaggia's is because they become unbearably unreliable after exactly 12 months. Phillips took over and made improvements but at 4 machines already, decided to try something new.
The Breville, Sage, Blumenthal Barista Express is fabulous. I have had the machine a month and make 4 coffees a day, perfect coffee.
It is sturdy, easy to clean, extremely good looking and makes a working noise that is good on the ear.
This is not a machine to be stored in a cupboard, its a show piece and if you pay this price you should be using it every day several times, no time to put it away.
The set up seems a little daunting but Heston and Breville have made the easy to follow instructions very clear.
Ensure you use the correct coffee filter basket for pre-ground coffee or full beans.
The water temperature on purchase is hot, too hot. Reduce this by 2 degrees following the instructions. I found the perfect coffee setting for beans (several brands) is coffee grind amount: 3. Grind size:8. Double portion of coffee and 2 cup setting for the water using only 1 coffee cup. A little extra hot water immediately and a little brown sugar stirred beneath the froth gives a perfect, strong Americano.
Yes, a little excess coffee grinds hit the tray. Any good coffee machine should be wiped clean and extra water run through the head after every coffee produced. It takes seconds. If you haven't got time to do this, you haven't got time to enjoy a good coffee.
The drip tray is easy to use and very cleverly engineered. It tells you when it needs emptying and keeps most of the coffee grind out of the water.
It's early days but so far I love this machine. It comes with a steel jug which I use to express 1 shot of espresso, leave it to cool and this can them be used to make an espresso martini or used in cooking etc.
As I do not take milk, cold, hot, frothed, steamed or any other way. I would say I am a better critique of the coffee result and this machine makes fabulous coffee.
Just been to Jamaica and had an Americano using Blue Mountain coffee beans, produced by an industrial machine in a very good coffee shop every morning. Not as good as this machine.
So far the best coffee beans that I have found are Percol Black Espresso. Number 6. These give a strong and yet not bitter or tangy flavour. The nearest thing I have found to coffee on holiday in France or Italy.
Enjoy.