5.0 out of 5 stars Re-Creating A Wonderful 80's Sound
Published 11 months ago by indierockfan

3.0 out of 5 stars New Visage Album after all this time
Blimey it's been a long time since a Visage Album.
This is better that i expected. but could have been better.
Published 16 months ago by Mr Jonathan J Pottle

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-Creating A Wonderful 80's Sound, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Hearts & Knives (MP3 Download)
Ok so I am not a fan never knew much about Visage other than Fade to Grey and brought this off the back of a quick listen on Spotify and wow totally blown away, great hooks and melodies and sounding the most 80's of any of the comeback albums I have heard recently although sounding much fresher and catchier than they ever sounded back then. I am totally surprised to love this as much as I do and went to see them live in Brighton as a result that was not so great and I ended up feeling a bit sorry for Steve Strange he was clearly under the weather and the show lasted around an hour as a result.

Not a duff track on the cd and highly recommended to anyone who likes 80's music, great bass btw.

Best Tracks - Dreamer I know, Never Enough, On We Go

Got to be one of the top ten come backs of 2013.

4.0 out of 5 stars wow. what a comeback!, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Hearts And Knives (Audio CD)
Wasn't really expecting much from this unexpected comeback album, but a heck of a surprise. This could easily have been recorded 30 years ago. Visage have made no attempt to update and modernise their sound, and this album is all the better for that. I've only listened to it once, but was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the songs. I expect this will become a favourite. Comeback albums, especially after such a long time often disappoint (Ultravox' s excellent album "Brilliant" is an exception), but this one is a cracker. Great front cover too. I really hope Steve Strange and crew do a follow up in a couple of years...there's legs in the Visage project.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can this be so good ?...it just is !!!!, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Hearts And Knives (Audio CD)
This album has blown me away,and not many albums do that.The quality of the song writing and the musical composition is simply stunning,with no duff tracks and more hooks than a hardware shop.I love the prominent use of guitar throughout and partnering that to the relentless synth beat is perfect.This album sounds,and even looks,fresh by today's standards.It's great to have Steve and crew back making such an impact again.More please !!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to Splendour!, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Hearts And Knives (Audio CD)
I have to admit that I was a little bit worried about the idea of a "new" album from Visage.Having been such a die-hard fan since 1980,the fragmentation of the group over the years and Steve's occasionally erratic forays into the public eye had cast a few doubts about how a new recording would sound.

I am delighted to say that I have not stopped playing this CD since it arrived last week-it has such a great collection of melodic,well produced and memorable songs.Steve's voice is superb and well complemented by Lauren's,though never overpowered by it.
The guitar from Robin Simon is as angular and dynamic as it ever was on the finest moments of "Systems of Romance".
Special mention too to the analogue synths,played beautifully by Logan Sky amongst others.The sound design is superb throughout.
The standout tracks for me (if I have to choose-every one is a killer) are:
"On We Go"-such a dramatic and unforgettable piece with the most gorgeous synth playing I have heard in years,
"Lost In Static"-a very smooth,haunting and emotional track and finally "Hidden Sign" which has a melody line which burns into your brain.

Like all previous Visage releases,the sleeve artwork is stunning.Cover shot by Ashworth,but the piece de resistance for me is David Levine's inner centrefold pic-totally stunning!
Lyrics are provided and also a list of synths used for each track,which was most welcome for a synth-geek like me!

All in all I heartily recommend this album to anyone who has even a passing interest in Visage and great modern electronic pop.

4.0 out of 5 stars at last!, 20 May 2013
K. Wright "kmw" (Hertfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hearts And Knives (Audio CD)
I have been looking forward to hearing this and it was worth the wait. Really good album, lots of really catchy
songs, Steve sounds great and loved the use of the old analogue equipment. Great to hear from Visage after all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a come back! Best cd of 2013, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hearts And Knives (Audio CD)
I was sceptical when first ordered this cd,but I am absolutely blown away by this album, what an achievement from this very talented group of musicians, after a few plays every song gets in your head and you find yourself humming them all the time.
I was a fan of Visage from day one and bought Fade to Grey on the day it was released, and every other record they made and I`ve got to say that this new album is every bit as quality as those original records.
Well done Steve Strange for getting this project off the ground 10 out of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute must buy, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Hearts And Knives (Audio CD)
So where have they been for the last 29 years when they can produce an album of this quality? I wasn't dissappointed after reading the reviews to find this is a belter and in keeping with the Visage sound. From the 80's sound guitar from Robin Simon and the sily vocals of Steve Strange why wasn't this album and singles in the top ten. There isn't any one fav track but Hidden Sign and Dreamer I know are brill so buy this and lets hope its not another 29 yrs before they make another album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Visage - better than ever., 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hearts And Knives (Audio CD)
I have to agree with the other reviewers, this is a fabulous, stylish piece of work. The great thing about it is that is sounds like Visage, instantly recognisable. They somehow always mixed synths and guitar brilliantly. "On we go" is just amazing, I can't the melody out of my head, but there is not a duff track on the whole album. X factor wannabe's look and learn, this is how its done! I also bought the multi version "dreamer I know" single which again is great. Welcome back, we missed you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the album, but the white vinyl looks better than it sounds, 26 Oct 2013
M. B. Wilson "crushtrash" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hearts & Knives [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Great comeback album from Steve (x2) and new line-up, a few new style poppy tracks alongside some material that could've easily sat on The Anvil. Careful mix of old synth sounds and newer production, with exceptional guitar and bass work by Rob and Steve, which give it just the right vibe. Lauren's backing vocals are generally a nice touch, though maybe on some tracks Steve could've carried it on his own (though on the closer "Breathe Life" he struggles).

Picture sleeve and inner photos all wonderful in 12" format, but my vinyl had a couple of murky brownish smudges (at manufacture) which do add some unpleasant surface noise briefly in intro of "And On We Go", which is a shame as its one of the highlights for me. However its really good to see this being made available in vinyl, but maybe a black vinyl as well would've been a nice touch?

4.0 out of 5 stars at last, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hearts And Knives (Audio CD)
at last another album from visage not as good as their first album back in the day but still a must for any visage fan to add this to there collection.

Hearts & Knives