5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read!
Published on 23 Feb 2008 by Mr. P. A. Heywood

2.0 out of 5 stars Love her non-fiction - but can pass on the novels
Published on 29 Jan 2010 by Elizabeth G. Melillo

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read!, 23 Feb 2008
Mr. P. A. Heywood (UK) - See all my reviews
What with 2 young children and working at night, I barely have time to read anymore, and if I do, it needs to be something really good! This was easy reading and good story telling. It had me not wanting to put it down from the very first page. I was really sad when I had finished the book as I found myself missing the characters and wanting more! Am looking forward to sampling something else from Gina O'Neill! Well worth a read

2.0 out of 5 stars Love her non-fiction - but can pass on the novels, 29 Jan 2010
Gilda O'Neill's non-fiction work fill half a shelf in my library, and I've greatly enjoyed her insightful, full, and thought provoking treatments of the East End. I was quite disappointed in this novel, which I'd been eager to read based on her historical works. The theme - one who has a tragic background considers herself lucky to have any means of survival, and will take any sort of abuse to keep that intact - indeed reflects situations in which many people find themselves, but it was overdone. Every new page seemed to bring a new major tragedy, right from the gruesome beginning which even Dickens could not have topped for a miserable start to childhood.

The realistic elements - don't interfere in others' business even if they are in danger, for example - certainly have a strong basis in social codes of the time and place. Yet the gore and tragedy are outweighed, if that is possible, by the heroine's total lack of initiative in trying to get out of horrid situations. She cuts off a true and concerned friend, for example, through terror of the offence her friend gave to an abusive common law husband.

There is no real character development. It is just a chronicle of misery, without other dimensions. By contrast, in Gilda's non-fiction work, there is complete honesty about East End conditions and hardships (whether during hop picking times or the blitz), yet a warmth, humour, and gritty realism (ranging from nostalgic images to determined survival). This novel does not capture the very elements which make Gilda's other works so engrossing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough Justice by Guilds O"Neill, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Rough Justice (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I have read by Gilda O"Neill and I loved the book from start to finish.I have rewarded 5stars for this book as you could really relate to the characters portrayed is this book and feel their pain and also the happiness at the end I can not wait to read all the other books that Gilda as written.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Rough Justice (Kindle Edition)
Disappointed by the ending but was a good read. Nothing more to say really so that is it no more

2.0 out of 5 stars Rough Justice, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Rough Justice (Kindle Edition)
Very disappointed with this.book. It never.got.started and if I.had read.this before reading her other.books.I.would. have dismissed any further books by her. It made.Nell appear to.have no.sense or backbone.I.am glad to have read other work.by.her

4.0 out of 5 stars Rough justice, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Rough Justice (Kindle Edition)
What a sad sad story, as I read at the end of the book, this sort of horrible action takes place everyday. I just can't imagine what these poor people, not just to women but men also have to go through.Thank you Ms. O,Neill for putting it so graphically, well done.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disgraceful doormat of a heroine, 8 Feb 2014
Anna Wilkinson (skegness united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rough Justice (Kindle Edition)
Well written and probably true to life, but the heroine, Nell, is such a complete doormat, given to taking the most hideous abuse for no good reason, that one completely loses patience with her. She has no initiative whatsoever; no drive to get out of her horrible situation, which she stupidly got herself into. Yes, I realise that the ghastly start in a foundling's home would have contributed to her attitude, but this does not make her actions any more palatable. She submits to every form of abuse and in doing so endangers her children. Meanwhile, she is surrounded on all sides by gutsy women who do their best to help her. She of course, refuses all help. I found this so frustrating to read that I almost gave up. The book itself is well written with cracking dialogue, but Nell is a disgrace to the name of women.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough justice, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Rough Justice (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read this is the first time I had read any of Gilda O'Neill's books, once I had started it I did not want to put it down. Will definitely be reading more of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars rough justice, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Rough Justice (Kindle Edition)
This is an excellent book. I find this to be one of her best novels. Very gripping, couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 3 Jun 2007
catwoman "catwoman" (tyne and wear england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rough Justice (Hardcover)
brilliant really good everyone should read it.

if you like martina cole you will love this

Rough Justice