5.0 out of 5 stars Saw the tour
Published 17 months ago by R. sherratt

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as sharp as the others
Though it's good for a few laughs, Bailey's latest show notably lacks the philosophical, intellectual and surreal edges of his previous tours. I would still encourage people to watch Qualmpeddler, if only the once, but it deals mainly with familiar contemporary topics, sparse anecdotes and a minimalist musical element.
Published 15 months ago by Crossflower

5.0 out of 5 stars Saw the tour, 15 Oct. 2013
R. sherratt (Lancashire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD] (DVD)
Most gifted of entertainers & musicians ever. Had tears running with laughter & not for first time but for this tour took my teenage niece who undestood everything along with her parents & my partner & everyone laughed at politics to music trends..... Who needs NevermindtheblackbooksQID! We have the amazing Bill Bailey but best not to give anything away but does play horns again to dramatic effect.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD] (DVD)
I was there for the DVD record at the Hammersmith Apollo and was blow away by his intelligence and wit. Bill Bailey is a truly gifted comedian and I seriously recommend this show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 24 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this show live and it was absolutely amazing! One of the funniest stand up routines I've ever seen! Will be buying this DVD so I can watch it again!

4.0 out of 5 stars A different Bill..., 12 July 2014
This review is from: Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD] (DVD)
Bill Bailey is at it again with a very different outing from both part troll and Dandeliion mind.
While other reviews here have noted some of the good points they all seem to miss the overall change in Bills' comedy.
For the purpose of this review I am going to split this between content and music mostly .

Sure it has most of his usual tropes but he adds something of a scathing edge to his show and at times mocks his own fanbase (particularly when he quotes Haldane, offhandedly pointing out that many people will now pretend to have known about that all along) He also launches into the comedians staple of politics subtle revealing his support for one party and damnation of another.

Bill also attacks the notion of celebrity though sadly not as aggressively as some of us would want he still gets in his digs at the stupidity of celebrity and a surprisingly bitter comment about his time on panel shows which in hindsight is accurate.

He also makes a dismissive comment about the westcountry and praises the london audience at times which while at the show is good is a bit insulting to his origins and makes him come off badly (though i doubt there was much intention there)

He has a few lighter moments discussing the tv drama the killing (including a pointless but hilarious video) and the absurdity of text speak and acronyms (of which only one works).
He also goes on to talk about mental dissonance which sadly Bill himself gave me at certain points later on.

Bill also for the second time brings art into the equation this time he looks at a couple of works of JMW Turner politely mocking but also somewhat highlighting his genius and also using it as a joke Mcguffin and a call back.

This culminates in the China visit story and his retelling of his failed attempts at chinese and subsequent rescue of a bird which like everyone else i thought was simply a humorous tall tale that he sometimes tells.

Towards the end

Musically Bill is not as sharp and sadly the music is actually where the show lags:

Bills first musical segment is well enough done though short his musical tributes to downton abbey are average his musical segment on the church is pretty uninspiring and his christian country music segment while funny is very mean spirited to the point of being nearly disturbing.

The musical highlight is easily the death metal tribute and unlike most comedians he gives the genre a fair shake as would befit a comedian who is deeply musical. His deconstruction of match of the day and ditty on the alberte bass is pretty good too . There are some strange moments too and bill even gets himself laughing at one point over his own pipe.

This all culminates in the finale which unlike all of his previous shows turns to reality for a change in a surprisingly shocking and emotionally climactic ending showing that in fact the China part was in fact true and they did genuinely rescue an owl. the show ends with no one liners no excessive fanfare and a poignant note.

In my opinion I enjoy the change to bills words and his subjects have increasingly taken on heavier themes which is good to hear and a thankful deviation from the relative immaturity of Dandelion mind however the musical wuality has taken a knock so therefore while its a good show if you find Bill a little bit difficult verbally theres no plavce to rest musically, hopefully Bill will combine the great level of music he had on Dandelion mind and the darker subjects and more aggressive comedy from this show next time till then qualmpeddler is a decent dvd good for some laughs and enough to keep you going to the next one.

The extras befit the the show and again higlight the absurdity of human behaviour instead of a near pointless but amusing video diary bill shows off "the part of china you are not allowed to see " and some other things its not as extensive but is more fulfilling.

All In all if you are a fan chances are you've already bought this but if not try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How I cried..., 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD] (DVD)
How I cried... quite literally. This is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen in Leicester's Demontfort hall. Bill Bailey was hilarious, clever, witty and down right entertaining. I could barely get my breath. If you get the chance, go see him live; it was money well spent and even the wife and son were in hysterics. Bill - you made our week. Just brilliant. This is on my Christmas list, I need to re-live it; so many gags I missed some because I could barely breathe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first comedy DVD - for me!, 11 Aug. 2014
Fiona (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD] (DVD)
This was my first DVD of Bill Bailey and my first comedy DVD. I bought it for Christmas in case the TV was poor but in the end watched it more recently on a day off when needing a bit of cheering up!

I really enjoyed Bill's show and it was almost like being in the audience, I found the show flowed well and although I wasnt rolling round the floor laughing and in pain, I did have a good few belly laughs and thats what I was after.

I would recommend this DVD and liked it enough to watch again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny., 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD] (DVD)
Bill Bailey is always excellent in my opinion, and this DVD is no exception. His usual mix of comedy rambling and musical genius, make it very entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD] (DVD)
Bill Bailey is unequalled in his genius - the thinking person's musical comedian. Very funny addition to our collection of his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased as a present, 4 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD] (DVD)
This dvd the latest from Bill Bailey was purchased as a present for my partner for Christmas - we watched it last night - brilliant as usual, just what you expect as a Bill fan. Like having Bill in the front room. Brilliant Bill at his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best show since Part Troll, 2 Jan. 2014
Zoe Bidgood "Zoecb" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this live (in fact I am on the DVD in the front row!) and I think it's his best work since Part Troll. From impressions of the local Hammersmith youths to a moving finale about an owl, it's just the right amount of topical balanced with abstract surrealism, with musical interludes that are great without taking over the whole show.

So good!