Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£14.85

on 15 January 2015
Always with an eye to our better nature, David Sedaris elevates the anecdote to an art form. In story after story he offers himself (and his family) up for laughs, embracing the human condition not only with his very own brand of self-deprecating humour but also with a palpable affection that is just as unique. There's nothing 'fancy' about Sedaris, but through empathy and observation he gifts us with writing that isn't just endearing but also therapeutic!
on 12 May 2013
love the author- laugh out loud funny- my only regret is how quickly I read it and ignored my family the entire time- hated to reach the end
on 28 June 2013
as the other books I have read. The usual essays on episodes from his own life are as wry as always and just a little OTT for the sake of a good story. The stories written in another persona are spread randomly which was confusing and which I didn't find as funny anyway
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 February 2014
"Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" is David Sedaris's latest collection of short humorous essays. Subjects include taxidermy, his aimless youth, language-learning courses, his new home in England, and diary-keeping. This is an enjoyable read, and there are examples of tenderness and laugh-out-loud moments; but things seemed a bit more subdued than in other volumes and, as another reviewer has mentioned, sometimes bitter. Interspersed with the observational pieces are a number of short monologues in which Sedaris adopts various repugnant right-wing and/or sociopathic personas. These are intended to be funny (maybe insightful?), but they leave a bit of a nasty taste.

[I was given a free download of this book by the publishers for review.]
on 10 August 2013
The crying was the good kind, in that I laugh til I cried. I read it while sitting at Kings Cross, than on the train. I didn't care at all that my mascara was running down my face AND I was laughing, truly, out loud.
on 15 August 2014
Having only just discovered the author earlier this week, I had to try one of his books. Hearing him on radio for the first time, I wondered why nobody had told me about him before. Come on people, you know how much I enjoy comedy. An added bonus is that he has a home on the other side of the South Downs from me, so maybe I'll bump into him strolling round Chichester one day. Although when I saw Terry Pratchett, I was too embarrassed to say anything.
on 4 January 2014
I just love his books - in particular his audiobooks. I've always prefered hearing my own voice whilst reading, but after encountering David Sedaris' audiobooks, I'd just as soon lie in bed with his voice in my head as my own. And that's just his voice - his stories are poignant, funny, full of insight into his own and other humans conditions. Plus they are incredibly entertaining. I really would recommend his books to everyone - and I do.
on 8 July 2015
David Sedaris is one of the few writers who''ll make you laugh out loud sitting on the bus. Buy this.
on 26 March 2015
I'd say that this is easily the weakest of his work to date. Being Sedaris it has it's funny moments but there are plenty of pointless and rambling side tracks too. There are at least three or four stories that add absolutely nothing to the book and appear to be there to simply fill up the pages, but still you will find the laughs just be prepared for plenty of puzzled lulls too.
on 28 July 2015
I have been a fan of David Sedaris' writing ever since I read Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim a number of years ago. This was another enjoyable read. As always there were some wonderful tales about Sedaris' family, childhood and early adulthood and I was fascinated by his views on life in Britain. I am not yet sure, however, how I feel about the monologues in the book.