5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Sedaris Hits it Out of the Park !!
Sock Rockingly Good. Mr Sedaris may not view himself as a sportsman but he hits it out of the park with his latest book.

There is something about a Sedaris which has one getting comfy in ones chair and settling down to finish it in one sitting. Cups of tea grow cold as one just enjoys.

There is always an element of the grotesque to Sedaris stories...
Published 23 months ago by G K Kinsky

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss...
I'd say that this is easily the weakest of his work to date. Being Sedaris it has it's funny moments but there are plenty of pointless and rambling side tracks too. There are at least three or four stories that add absolutely nothing to the book and appear to be there to simply fill up the pages, but still you will find the laughs just be prepared for plenty of puzzled...
Published 4 days ago by keen reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Sedaris Hits it Out of the Park !!, 22 April 2013

There is always an element of the grotesque to Sedaris stories. However, in this latest book the lens which Sedaris turns on humanity is in rather softer focus. This is not to say that Sedaris has lost his edge but rather that he has gained an appreciation of charm.

A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Entertainment, 24 May 2013
ACB(swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
David Sedaris is a best-selling humorist, essayist and story teller. This collection of 26 pieces include 6 that are fictional and are less successful than the hilarity contained in his observational accounts. The absurdities of life on his travels features planes, trains and cabs. Experiences with dentists, taxidermists, litter, a visit to a zoo, drunkenness, a drug accompanied colonoscopy are amusing examples of his subject matter given the Sedaris treatment with touches of rudeness and exaggeration.

Everyday common events are viewed with his personal self-deprecating approach that inevitably provokes laughter. His autobiographical perspectives on his childhood in North Carolina are not shirked nor are less than affectionate references to his family;father in particular is targetted in almost vengeful terms. These are often appropriate, comical and poignant.

This is a book full of stories that can raise a laugh and chuckle on repeat readings as well as aspects of his humour missed on first encounter. Very funny and recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars sheer exscellence!, 10 May 2013
I first heard David Sedaris on BBC Radio 4 about 2 years back. I have yet to hear, in this millennium, anyone funnier. I love his work. This book is pure genius, as are his earlier publications. More please!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine collection of humorous essays and monologues, 16 Aug. 2014
This collection of 19 essays and six monologues contains some material familiar to those who listen to David Sedaris's successful Radio 4 show, although there was much here that was new to me. I found the collection a little slow to get going and didn't enjoy the earlier pieces as much as I did the latter ones, while the targets of some of the monologues (specifically included as he'd met a number of teenagers looking for pieces to perform for school) a little too broad for me to really enjoy the humour. That said there were some essays where I genuinely laughed out loud (particularly one where Sedaris finds himself on the verge of buying the skeleton of a murdered pygmy and one where he succumbs to his father's demand that he get a colonoscopy) and I've always enjoyed Sedaris's willingness to reveal his own foibles and shallowness. For that reason, I will pick up his back catalogue as I eagerly await his next collection.

Of the monologues, my favourite was JUST A QUICK EMAIL, which I'd previously heard Sedaris perform on radio but still had me in stitches. It's a thank you note for a wedding gift of vouchers for 2 free pizzas but the way Sedaris slowly draws out the background to it is exquisitely done and has a great punchline. By contrast, I BREAK FOR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE and IF I RULED THE WORLD are a bit herring-in-a-barrel for someone of Sedaris's talents - each involves a right-wing Christian protagonist objecting to liberal policies on gay marriage, abortion etc and I didn't really see the satire in picking on such easy targets.

My favourite essay was UNDERSTANDING UNDERSTANDING OWLS, which starts with Sedaris explaining how he came to acquire owl-related memorabilia for his partner, Hugh, and how a search for a stuffed owl led him to being offered a complete pygmy skeleton. Equally good is EASY, TIGER, which is about language and travel and shows Sedaris poke fun at the absurdity of conversations on language tapes and THE HAPPY PLACE which is about Sedaris's decision to undergo a colonoscopy. I also enjoyed the melancholy elements of A GUY WALKED INTO A BAR CAR, which sees Sedaris reminisce about a train journey undertaken as a younger man.

Ultimately, if you're into dry, wry humour then you should definitely check out this book and I'll definitely be getting Sedaris's other work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me laugh out loud!, 13 Dec. 2013
It's not uniformly funny all the way through, but when he hits the mark he is so hilarious you don't mind all the misses along the way. My favourite was when he goes to a taxidermist who sees into his dark soul - laugh out loud funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant!, 21 May 2013
I love David Sedaris' writing. I find myself re-reading his books and ending up liking bits that I wasn't particularly keen on to start with. I absolutely love 'When you are engulfed in flames', but when I first read it I didn't think it was as good as his other work. Now it is my favourite by far. I think the same will happen with this collection of stories. To my mind there is just no one above him! His outlook is just amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 26 Dec. 2013
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I always think I will make a David Sedaris book last. Because his books consist of little essays, snippets, gobbets of exquisite writing - what you will, I fondly imagine myself dipping into the book here and there, just stopping after one segment and saving the next for when I need a lift. This, inevitably, never happens, as I cannot resist his writing and end up reading it all in one sitting.

With this book I managed to savour the first three essays in the manner I had imagined. The rest I finished yesterday in one mad, headlong rush.

Still brilliant, still poignant, still hilarious, laugh out loud stuff. Not a bum note in the whole collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Journals vs. Forensics, 7 Oct. 2013
David Sedaris returns with a collection of his fameous journal-style essays on relationships, romance and culture. He also includes six forensics-style fiction pieces intended to highlight political issues. These are interspersed throughout 'Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls' and make for an uneven startling read, as the 'voice' changes without any warning (e.g. from David's voice to a middle-aged American Republican mother). Despite this uneven quality, LEDWO is a page-turner with many laugh-out-loud moments. When he writes about emmigrating and immigrating, Sedaris is in his prime. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars love love this book, 12 May 2013
love the author- laugh out loud funny- my only regret is how quickly I read it and ignored my family the entire time- hated to reach the end

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye to our better nature, 15 Jan. 2015
Always with an eye to our better nature, David Sedaris elevates the anecdote to an art form. In story after story he offers himself (and his family) up for laughs, embracing the human condition not only with his very own brand of self-deprecating humour but also with a palpable affection that is just as unique. There's nothing 'fancy' about Sedaris, but through empathy and observation he gifts us with writing that isn't just endearing but also therapeutic!