5.0 out of 5 stars Music as it should be written!
Whilst I accept I am a little biased as I have a long apreciation of both The Pineapple Thief and Katatonia, when my pre order arrived late last week, my expectation was not huge as I saw this album as more of a historical collaboration than a piece of music to stand on its own legs. How wrong was my expectation!

This album not only stands proudly on its own,...
Published 15 months ago by Ms. Andrea E. Winney

3.0 out of 5 stars Good , but.........
I downloaded this from Amazon and am still trying to get into it...it;s a grower, but is it me or is some of the production less that crystal clear on louder tracks?, some of the bass notes are incredibly distorted, I'm listening on good quality headphones through an I-pod Classic...I;d be interested on other reviewers opinions.
Published 13 months ago by T. Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Music as it should be written!, 3 Jun 2013
Ms. Andrea E. Winney "neal_brown" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews

This album not only stands proudly on its own, but has become my first candidate for album of 2013.

The distinctive sound Bruce Soord brings to TPT is very much in evidence, but when you add Jonas's vocals to the mix, you have a slightly dark, without being meloncholy, melodic brooding piece of work that brings the both Bruce's and Jonas's talents to the fore. The song writing is tight, with constructive passages that cross musical boundaries, and the pace of the album is beautifully crafted. As you would expect due to the song writing influence, this is closer musically to TPT than Katatonia, but don't be mislead into thinking this is the TPT album not released by TPT. It is more diverse than TPT have been. The freedom this project has given to Bruce Soord is really telling in the expressive nature of the music. Add to this, the vocal freedom provided to Jonas and you have a side project that stands up against anything the two bands have delivered.

I wouldl highly reccomend you give this a try and let's hope it is just the start of a beautiful musical partnership!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Special Album, 7 Jun 2013
Not often an album comes out that could be considered truly special but this is one of them. I'm not too familiar with Katatonia so purchased this on the strength of the Pineapple Thief connection. Considering Bruce Soord performs all the instrumentation, leaving Jonas Renkse to vocal duties makes this music all the more remarkable for it's depth and feel. Rock, melody, industrial, folk all play a part here and it works! Purveyors of progressive sounds will keep this music playing for years to come. Strangely, I hope it's a one-off because it may not be topped, but on the other hand it may develop into something much bigger if the commitment to make it so prevails between the two of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime collaboration between two Prog-Rock masters, 1 Aug 2013
Nigel Rowe (Plymouth England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wisdom Of Crowds (Audio CD)
This collaboration between The Pineapple Thief's Bruce Soord and Katatonias' Jonas Renske is simply brilliant.
Soord's songwriting is nothing short of excellent, evoking thoughts and memories from a few words and phrases, with progressive rock music that features overtones of dance music. Renske's has been taken out of the comfort zone of his usual Katatonia singing style, and is perfect for the music written for him to sing.
Modern prog rock at it's best

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Collaboration, 29 Jun 2014
Bruce Soord from the Pineapple Thief collaborates with Katatonia vocalist Jonas Renkse - the resulting album – Wisdom of Crowds – is a real treat for fans of progressive music. In some ways it’s the album I expected from Steven Wilson/Michael Akerfeldt’s Storm Corrosion collaboration. Instead that duo gave us something much more odd – but no less compelling. But I digress…

No, what we have here from Bruce isn’t an album that strays too far from his day job of The Pineapple Thief. Soord plays all the instruments – delivering a delightful blend of modern progressive rock, folk, pop, electronica and industrial. Fans of The Pineapple Thief would feel right at home, as would fans of Pink Floyd, Marillion, Anathema, The Gathering, The Porcupine Tree or even Muse.

What sets this album apart is the choice of vocalist. Don’t get me wrong – regular readers will know what a big fan I am of Katatonia’s work – but I wouldn’t have pegged Jonas Renkse as the ideal vocalist for such an album. I would be wrong though. Even shorn of the numerous ethereal effects he enjoy’s on Katatonia’s records Jonas sounds phenomenal on Wisdom of Crowds. He lends the whole album an air of melancholy. Bruce Soord wrote the album with Jonas in mind and it tells, it’s not often you here something that sounds so right. Even though here’s nothing approaching metal to be heard on the album Jonas sounds just perfect for the role.

So no metal riffing, but there are some very pleasing noisy guitar moments – particularly in the powerful second half of Frozen North, one of my favourite tracks from the album. There’s plenty of instrumental moments to enjoy; soulful soloing, interesting sound effects, powerful electronica beats and epic soundscapes.

Just as impressive as the bombast is Bruce Soord’s restraint. Here we have nine songs of modest length for progressive rock, with only two tracks just slipping over seven minutes. Other bands may have been tempted to record their (ripoff of) homage to Echoes, but there’s nothing so indulgent here. Instead it’s genuinely beautiful music married with perfect emotive vocals.

I’ll shut up now. Just go buy Bruce Soord and Jonas Renkse’s Wisdom of Crowds, a major candidate for album of the year. Take a listen…

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of both worlds, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Wisdom Of Crowds (Audio CD)
More "commercial" than either artist might be viewed independently - but in a good way - and combining the musical skills of Soord and the vocal ability of Renske. The rationale for stepping outside the Pineapple Thief heading is clear and a great listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collaboration, 18 Jun 2013
So, I'm a big fan of The Pineapple Thief and Katatonia. To be honest, I prefer TPT, but that's just me. So, when I heard that there was going to be a collaboration between Messrs Soord and Renkse, I was interested.

`Frozen North' was included on the latest Prog Magazine sampler and as soon as I heard it I bought the CD. The collaboration could have been Renkse singing Pineapple Thief songs or Soord writing Katatonia songs. It's neither. Instead, you have (in my opinion, Katatonia fans!) the more melodic song-writing sensibilities of Soord combined with Renkse's quite splendid voice. The difference being that the vocals here are toned down a bit from what's required for Katatonia, affording Renkse a, dare I suggest it, sense of freedom.

There isn't a weak track on the CD, though it does feel a tiny bit samey in terms of pace and construction. As a first outing from an experimental pairing, however, it's just great. I can see it as an interesting side project that both gentlemen might be happy to continue with as and when their own band commitments allow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Wisdom, 24 July 2013
Has a fan of The Pineapple Thief and Katatonia i was rather surprised when i heard they were joining forces for this,hopefully;long term project.
Like me ,fans of either band will find something to enjoy on this excellent album;and what at first seemed like a strange collaberation,as resulted in a worthy addition to their previous work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good , but........., 21 July 2013
This review is from: Wisdom of Crowds (MP3 Download)

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year 2013, 3 July 2014
Album of the year 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Wisdom Of Crowds (Audio CD)
Heard it for the first time in a music shop and got my attention. If you like instrumental music with some few similarities with Pink Floyd you will like this one.

Wisdom Of Crowds
Wisdom Of Crowds by Bruce Soord With Jonas Renkse (Audio CD - 2013)