5.0 out of 5 stars Sony 50V
This is absolutely the best camera that I have ever owned and,believe me at 84 I've had a good few.From 35mm,110,126 to today's digital marvels.
Never a large DSLR,too heavy,fiddly,changing lenses and the problem of keeping the screen clean put me off
They say always carry a camera that ain't easy with this lot and hardly unobtrusive.
I only needed a...
Published 5 months ago by david craddock

3.0 out of 5 stars Great outdoor Pics...But...
I bought this Camera to take with me to Vegas as I wanted a compact camera that boasts High specs and is pocket-able. But, I came away from the trip wishing I bought the far more affordable (at time of purchase) Panasonic Lumix TZ40 which my girlfriend took and made me jealous with!

Published 9 months ago by Andrew Curtis

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony 50V, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sony DSCHX50 Compact Digital Camera - Black (20.4MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I only needed a camera small enough to carry in a jacket pocket,a smaller Sony WX60 slips into my shirt pocket that's a little cracker too,
The 50v is the complete answer,superb quick response and enough clever and well thought out features to meet any challenge.
OK some times it's quicker than you but,in time,you'll get used to it.
I can not believe the critic's comments,suggest they take time to read the instructions.I bought the printed version from "Old Timer Cameras" do so and really see what this camera provides.
At the price and specification there is nothing to touch it..
Hope this helps.David.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to Black?, 23 Jun 2013
Angela - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like many people,in recent times I've probably abandoned digital cameras in favour of grabbing my smart phone to capture special memories, all well and good, but often resulting in photos of variable quality and focus. This is the camera that has got me back in the habit of taking better photos; it's a little more than a point and click and has some very nice features. The camera is great for casual use and anyone who wants to work on their picture taking a little more will find plenty of features to keep them busy.

Out of the box set up is simple, to recharge you don't need to faff around with taking out batteries, a lead and charger just plugs straight into the body. My camera did not come with a memory card, it does take a range of formats of these( SD/SDHC/SDXC, Memory Stick PRO Duo and Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo0), to make the most of the ability to take full 1080p movies in AVCHD and MP4 formats.

The camera, in the main, is well built. It has a bit of a retro feel and, due to its impressive 30x zoom (24 - 720mm wide angle lens) is a little bigger than your average compact at H64.3 x W108.1 x D38.3mm. You get a good sized 3" screen to view your subject/s and scroll through the options, though disappointingly maybe, it's not touch screen and access is via a bewildering range of buttons and menus including a small wheel which does, I have to say, feel a little flimsy to the touch. Though, through extensive use of this camera I have got used to when to use the menu or "?" button I do still find myself having to refer to the incorporated camera guide for more advanced features. The guide is in A-Z form and is searchable and is really handy.

Talking of additional features one thing that surprised me about this camera was its failure to include GPS. It's all the more strange as the DSC HX50V, available elsewhere does have GPS. You can get round this in a way as the camera has wifi and so you can actually upload pictures to a smartphone on the go and put straight onto, eg facebook, however it's still disappointing. That said, I have found it relatively simple to get the camera to sync with my wifi at home and have even managed to use the camera > smartphone wifi whilst on the go via the free Playmemories app provided by the manufacturer for use with this phone. You can actually use your phone as a remote control to take photos and to see the view on your camera screen. This is a handy alternative to the self timer and useful also if you wish to place your camera down and keep it steady.

So, on then to the photos themselves; here the camera which is 20.4 megapixel, does not disappoint at all and I find that although there are more features than I, personally, could ever use I can and do obtain good results. There are features such as being able to take HDR photos - so for example take black and white picking out only red, blue,green or yellow, which I really like - I have uploaded some pictures taken like this onto this page. When taking pictures the screen is bright and apart from in the brightest of sunlight it's easy to see the different options. You can scroll through the different modes of picture taking from "Superior Auto" to "Intelligent Auto" - the latter being best for moving objects, to some of the modes I use most like the panorama sweep and video. Colour reproduction on this camera is good, and I like the fact that I can zoom in whilst taking video.

I have found through using the camera that over time I am using more and more of what the camera can offer. I made a bit of a rookie mistake at first by somehow managing to date stamp all my pictures (this can't be retrospectively removed) but now I find myself activating features such as the smile auto-detect and the on-screen plumb line with relative ease, and I have even worked out how to take photos whilst playing back video. You can use the picture effects (toy camera, watercolour etc) in video mode too and shutter speed (10fps for the technically minded) is good. I haven't really investigated the P/A/S/M modes, but for more advanced users who want to play with light and exposure these are a bound to be of interest, there is also an additional shoe on top of the camera and you can purchase an extra flash in addition to the inbuilt one or an electronic view finder or microphone can be installed on this should you wish. Not having such extras, I have found battery life for my use to be impressively long.

Overall, this camera is a relative joy to use, due to the quality of the photos it produces. If feels good in the hand and looks good too and so I can ignore some niggles, such as the lack of GPS and the fact that even having used the camera a fair bit the menu can leave me confused as to which button I should have pressed. Despite all this, this camera has got me back into taking better photos. It's great for holiday snaps and for getting a bit more arty about your photos too and although I think it's quite pricey compared to similar offerings from other manufacturers I would still recommend it as being fairly compact but taking pictures that are significantly better than those from a smart phone, having an impressive zoom and good range of features - it's a pleasure to own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bar a major flaw, 29 Sep 2013
Fandango - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Let's get the flaw over with as that is doubtless what drew your attention.

No viewfinder. This is the first camera I've had without a viewfinder and I assumed that Sony would not release one unless the screen was bright enough for daylight viewing. Wrong. If you have any bright light behind you then you just can't see a thing. And the screen is not tiltable so you can't manipulate it into shade.

So why did I keep it? Because I love the rest and most of my shots are of buildings and in cities. If your main use is for sunny beaches I strongly advise you to look elsewhere.

I originally wanted a bridge camera. But having read all the reviews I came to the conclusion that with those you get the inconvenience of a bulky camera without the quality of an SLR. And all the reviews had too many negatives for me. I'd call myself a keen amateur. I've had SLRs in the past, I take a lot of photos in the course of a year and care quite a lot about them. But while I was happy to muck about with aperture and priority settings when I had to, I'd rather point and shoot if the result will be good enough. With this camera it can do a better job with the automatic settings than I can manually.

This camera (and others similar of course) is very compact so you can slip it in a trouser pocket, which means you are much more likely to take it with you.
I was attracted by the 50x zooms you see being released now. But I am sceptical about how even with electronic damping you'll get good results at that level of zoom. Even at 30x you can visibly see the effect of hand shake as you focus and the camera does a great job of taking that out. I post process all my shots so I'd rather have a good shot and crop it than go the extra zoom. 30x is pretty impressive anyway in my book!

I've put 500+ shots through this camera now and have been very impressed. For dealing with the viewfinder issue I've learnt to shade with my body or just shoot wide angle and hope I get it right.

Sometimes the focus seems to have trouble - particularly in macro. But I just pull out a little and it is fine. Particular things I like:

* Decent battery life - I bought a spare which was not expensive but have not had to change in a day's shooting.

* Good thumb grip. Others have commented that it's easy to press the video button in error. This is true but you soon learn to feel for the little thumb grip/depression next to it.

* Being able to delete all shots taken on a given date - handy once they are transferred elsewhere.

* There is a kind of enhanced exposure mode on the dial which I have found great in situations where there is a lot of different light levels. For example photographing a floodlit cathedral this gave a much more balanced exposure than the standard auto mode.

* I am normally sniffy about menu-based modes, but have found the Scene mode useful. Here you turn the dial to Scene and you get a dozen or so options such as landscape, people, food etc. which you can pick very quickly.

* It's quick to choose one of the burst modes such as continuous shooting, shoot for ten seconds etc. Handy for wildlife or wild children.

* While I did not buy it for video I've been very impressed at how easy it is to take videos and the quality.

* I'm impressed with the macro facility. There is no dedicated macro mode - it's automatic - and the focusing does not always work first time. I've found the Food Scene mode useful for flowers sometimes. Generally I'm very pleased with the results.

* The "beautiful skin" feature is remarkably effective at knocking a decade off anyone over 50 without your having to resort to photoshopping later.

* Automatic soft backgrounds are another useful choice in Scene mode.

Others have commented on the `smeary' nature of the pixels when you zoom right in. This is true and I believe a function of the programming. But while this might annoy pixel purists, for most people it means that your shots will bear closer cropping without visible pixellation than would otherwise be the case.
All in all a very impressive bit of kit if you can live with the viewfinder snag.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great spec in a little camera, 19 Jun 2013
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A quick summary first: I'm really impressed with this camera. It's compact, easy to use, and it has a lot of options that allow you much more control over your photography than lower-end digital cameras, but the auto mode is still excellent for those who don't want to do anything complicated. It produces clear, sharp images with good true-to-life colour, and the 30x optical zoom is seriously impressive.

Now for the details! At first glance the camera looks a little plasticky - you wouldn't necessarily think it had cost too much from its appearance - but it feels solid rather than flimsy. It's a good deal heavier and larger than my normal cheap point-and-click camera, but it's much lighter and more compact than most higher end cameras or SLRs so it makes a fantastic compromise if you're looking for something which has a high spec but which is also really portable.

As far as memory goes, you only get 48MB of internal memory (7 images at 20 megapixels) so you'll want to have external memory ready to use. You can use memory sticks (XC-HG Duo, PRO Duo mark 2, PROD-HG Duo or MicroM2) or cards (SD, SDHC, SDXC, or the micro versions of any of those). You need at least a class 4 memory card for this camera, and you may want to consider a class 10. With regards to memory size, if you're shooting at 20mp then 2GB will hold 295 images, or 8 minutes of film at the highest resolution. A 16GB card like this SanDisk Ultra 16GB SDHC UHS-I Class 10 Card - Frustration Free Packaging will hold 2360 images.

The battery life is decent (200 minutes of shooting still images, 90 minutes of continuous filming).

The automatic mode allows the most inexperienced photographer (also known as `me') to produce great shots with no effort; simply hold the shutter button halfway down to focus, and a beep and an indicator light tell you when the image is in focus so that you can then press the button fully down. Zooming in and out is done by a small lever on the front of the shutter button. Shots even on the automatic mode for this camera come out way better than anything I've achieved on previous cameras.

If you want to have more control then you can set the camera to different modes such as Aperture Priority Shooting or Manual Exposure Shooting. There are lots of options in the menu area that you can choose, which help you to emphasise certain areas of the photo, defocus the background, set a colour hue, etc. You can adjust image contrast, sharpness etc. There's also a Soft Skin setting and an Anti Blink setting which makes taking photos of friends a lot more flattering! The options are easy to select and there are some really nice effects.

I don't have any major complaints about this camera, and just a few minor issues. The movie record button is in a place that makes it a little too easy to press accidentally. The control wheel used for viewing, selecting and deleting images feels a little flimsy to me and I'd rather press it than have to scroll it around. The zoom lever also feels a bit delicate and I'd prefer something sturdier. And there's no GPS, which is not an issue for me at all but should be pointed out for those who find it more necessary.

In general, this is a great camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great outdoor Pics...But..., 10 Mar 2014

I have to say, I was very pleased with outdoor pictures in good lighting, They were crisp and fantastic! the zoom was also very good, amazing in fact with the stability control.

What let this camera down though was indoor shooting with low light. I am no amateur when it comes to Manual settings so I made all the correct changes to compensate for the low light, But to no avail. When on auto with the flash on, the pictures were still Poor.
These were indoor shots of dark casinos/restaurants with bright neon lights all around. Very upset with the indoor pictures.

Overall, I would highly recommended this little "beast" for outdoor use and well lit indoor use. Any dark indoor scenes, then you might struggle.
The camera felt nice to hold with the grip, and was heavy enough to feel robust, but not so much that your wrist cried after 2 minutes.

Andy

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 28 Mar 2014
excellent kit, took it out of the box and straight to Thailand, took some fantastic shots easy to use auto setting are all super and in general a really great camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel camera with a few little niggles, 10 April 2014
This camera looks great, it has a real retro feel about and it looks pretty solid. It is a compact but it is a lot bigger than your regular compacts, this is due to its capabilities and monster zoom. I really like the layout of the buttons and dials and the extra dial to change EV is great as I had to go through several menu's before which was time consuming.

The pictures look great, I'm sure a professional could criticise certain aspects when compared to DSLR but thats not what the HX50 is claiming to be. I've displayed the pictures on my 42 inch tv and they still look great, really impressed with the 30 x zoom and the ability to shoot 10fps.

The features are great on this camera and by far my favourite is the sweep panorama, they look great and if you love travelling like me its a great way to capture an environment in its full. The resolution of these has been increased compared to older models and there are more options like a 360 panorama which im looking forward to trying.

The video's are amazing even when displayed on a large TV screen and with the full 30x zoom there seems to be no reduction in quality. I don't think I can spot the difference between this and a dedicated camcorder, although these movies do eat up the memory.

I do have a few niggles but they are pretty minor

1. No separate battery charger, this means the battery needs to be in the camera to be charged. With my old Sony I could be using my spare battery while the other was charging.

2. Battery/ memory card door too close to tripod attachment. I use a gorilla pod which means I have a small attachment inserted into the tripod part permanently, this allows me to just slide my camera onto the gorilla pod. However the battery door is so close that the door can open and so I need to remove the gorilla pod attachment it each time.

3. Pop up flash, never been a fan and just gets in the way, often my finger is placed where it pops up.

Anyway overall very pleased, cant wait to try it out a bit more

5.0 out of 5 stars The camera does not disappoint, 2 Jun 2013
Couldn't wait to get my hands on this camera and so far it has not disappointed. Previously I owned the DSC HX9V which I didn't think could be surpassed but I wanted this for the enhanced optical zoom. The camera is nicely weighted and still a good compact size considering the zoom lens it houses. The x30 optical zoom is truely astounding with clear optical zoom to a very impressive x60, going up to a x120 digital zoom at 20M is staggering (apparently at lower resolution the digital zoom is up to x324). It has some great picture effects - like the tilt-shift miniature effect and the iSweep panorama is great to name just two I have tried. The colours appear to be true and crisp and it handles low-light situations well. Couple of slight niggles in that the movie record button is quite sensitive and positioned in such a place that it can be accidentally depressed to start recording and it takes slightly longer than the HX9V to write the images to the SD card (but to be expected for 20M pixels) but these niggles cannot overshadow the absolute awesomeness of this little compact.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much goodness..., 27 Jun 2013
...in a little package.

My previous Sony camera was a HX9 (60hz import) which has a 16x zoom. At the time I bought it (two years ago) it was probably the best compact zoom you could buy, with amazing video quality. The HX50 is two generations on from this, and is superior in every way. The zoom is now 30x, with very little increase in body size. Image quality is clearly superior to the HX9 (the only real flaw with that camera was the noisy photos at high ISO). The video is slightly better due to improved stabilization, and more importantly there is now no delay between pressing the red button and the start of recording. All the other great features are still present, including panoramas, frame-stacking (automatic in certain scene modes), filters etc.

In terms of upgrading from the HX9 or a similar superzoom from 2010/2011, I would say this is a significant improvement in terms of zoom and stills quality, everything else is pretty much as it was before. However, seeing as photo quality, video quality, and zoom are the three most important things in this sort of camera, it's still the best of the current crop. All-round excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feels Cheap but Great Specifications, 12 July 2014
First Impressions

Packaging seems secure but opens easily enough. My first impression of the camera can be summed up by the word "PLASTIC". It feels cheap and flimsy - cheap to the touch, and the buttons and pop-up flash look like they would fall off if you so much as looked at them the wrong way. It is slightly larger than my previous compact cameras, however they had nothing like the 30x optical zoom the DSC-HX50 claims to have, so the slight increase in size is fair enough. While shopping around I was unable to find another compact camera with this zoom capability in the HX50's price range, the only alternative were much bulkier bridge cameras. Of course my worries will not matter if the camera lives up to the positive reviews and it delivers good performance. The manual says the full charge takes 230 minutes, so will have to wait a while to test it.

Usage

The zoom is ridiculously good. Yes, 30x zoom ought to be, but it is remarkable how good shots taken at full zoom can be. The camera does a very good job of countering a shaky hand, and there is no hint of blur - images are crisp.

The video quality is similarly excellent both in terms of sharpness and stability. Zooming in from minimum to maximum zoom while recording is easy, and the autofocus is intelligent.

In both cases I used the highest quality settings for video and stills.

Overall

A very good camera, I shopped around and found this was the best compact overall in terms of zoom and image resolution for under £200 at time of purchase. The current standard seems to be 15-20x zoom and 16-18 megapixels, so this camera outscores in both. I did consider a Kodak bridge camera that had 50x zoom (£150) but the extra bulk did not seem worth it.