5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, fast paced, page-turner!
This is one of the most exciting and enjoyable books I've read in a while... It pick's up where the first book left off and brings the series on leaps and bounds.

As others have said, the descriptions of the space battles are as exciting as any Hollywood movie, and in many cases, possibly more so!

The people who have complained about it "not being...
Published 12 months ago by Mr. M. J. Kelly

2.0 out of 5 stars OK fiction - terrible science
The plot of this book is actually quite interesting, although the characters are a little simplistic for my taste.

Published 14 months ago by Scotsbird

2.0 out of 5 stars OK fiction - terrible science, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)

The part of the book that I found difficult was the writer's licence with (or ignorance of) the laws of physics. It is fine for science fiction writers to invent crazy new technology, but the laws of physics still apply. The space battles form a major part of this book, but there are endless examples of 'star wars' physics that completely ruin my suspension of disbelief. Three examples of things a writer of science fiction should really know: there is no 'upside down' in space, space ships do not stop moving when they run out of fuel, you cannot see a laser beam in a vacuum. There are plenty more.

If you think I am knit-picking then they should buy this book, you'll probably enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, fast paced, page-turner!, 16 Sep 2013
Mr. M. J. Kelly "hightower00" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)

The people who have complained about it "not being Shakespeare" or that the characters lack depth are daft - you don't go to the cinema to watch Transformers and then complain about the one dimensional characters - you go to see giant robots and explosions! The same applies to Dark Space II - you read this for the epic space battles and overarching story of humanity on its last legs - and this it does incredibly well!

Read it with that in mind and you won't be disappointed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible science, badly edited, odd story choices, but strangely compelling., 30 July 2013
N. Clark "Nick" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
This book has positive points and negative points, and to me the negatives outweigh the positives for a book I have paid money for instead of a free download.

As others have pointed out, the complete lack of any laws of physics really broke all immersion I had in this book. Cases where characters are in the vacuum of space, bleeding through their space suit? Explosions in space? Also, a really odd use of very small distances when explaining fights that have been previously explained to be going at tremendous speeds. There are many such examples and while this may not bother everyone, for me my formal education just screams at me every time I experience something like this, perhaps I am too literal minded.

The editing is also quite bad. At one point a character calls the main character by his true name when they were absolutely not supposed to know, then switches back to using his alias again. To me that is just lazy. Also the use of scenes are repeated through the book, the character unbelievably shooting a missile traveling at great speed and great distance with a blind shot from a laser. Twice. Again this seems lazy to me. Near the end of the book it also feels very rushed, there is a blatant overuse of adjectives and sentences that are entirely irrelevant to the plot or any character building, leading it to read like one of my early school essays where I would waffle just to fill up the word count. If this has all been fixed since I bought this book a few months back, then I apologize.

Also, some aspects of the story seem very contrived, where characters make inexplicably bad decisions, which all seem in order to march the story to a place the author wants the plot to go. These could have been handled so much better and the lack of any explanation just made me annoyed at the characters disregard for any normal straight forward logical protocols, and gave the book a very unpolished feel for me. Discussions between characters near the end are also very clunky and again feel rushed and solely used to move the plot along, and does not build up rapport between them.

Yet I did like the book in some respects, the story concept is very interesting and I enjoyed following the overall events. The balance between action and story telling was also well mixed, helping the book flow and avoiding any boring moments. These redeeming features stop my review from dipping down into the dreaded 1 star territory.

However, I will not be buying any more of this series. The lack of any basic laws of physics is too immersion breaking for my tastes, and the whole feeling that the book was very rushed at the sake of character development, plot development and editing, leaves me unconvinced that I should treat this as a serious series to invest more money in. I am sorry to leave a largely negative review, but if I find out in the future these issues are resolved I may have a look back on this series. I can only wish the author all the best in the future in developing this story and his writing skills.

Fair effort, but fundamentally broken and rushed. 2 Stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Wait for Dark Space 2!, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed it a great deal.

It's well-written. In particular the ship to ship battle scenes are as exciting as any movie, and the descriptions of the various locations do well to bring them to life, even though the same could not be said for the characters in my opinion. I liked Ethan as a protagonist, but none of the characters really 'came to life' or made a particularly lasting impression.

I deducted 1 star from my rating because I found the plot twists to be unbelievable and I was largely underwhelmed by them.

The second thing is that the author uses made-up words instead of swear words, which just didn't appeal to me at all. In fact, the first time such a word was used in the book I thought is was silly, and I didn't realize that it was even supposed to be a swear word.

Lastly, and this is just something minor, the primary antagonist in the story is sometimes given a nickname when he's referred to, and it isn't ever explained or even implied as to why they call him this (unless I missed it somewhere), so this bothered me a little.

3.0 out of 5 stars good start :), 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
Its a fast paced book, easy to read, and fun. The problem i have its only half or a third of a book, its stops the story in the middle. The end of the book didn't fit at all with the feel to the book. I Still may give the next book a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
I found this book engaging and easy to read. The plot unfolds well and I found the characters to believeable.

The only reason for 4 stars was I found this book a little short. (A clever ploy to get you to buy the second book).

3.0 out of 5 stars More enjoyable than the pedants would have you believe, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
Before buying this book I read a few of the reviews (of which there are many) and was still undecided. In the end the purchase price of seventy seven pence swung it for me. There's not a lot you can buy for that price and I was happy to delete the book if I didn't find it engaging. Approaching it with an open mind I was impressed with the world the author had created which seems to have the depth and breadth required to support a developing story. And that what this book feels like - the first part of a developing story. I'm a huge fan of Stephen Donaldson's Gap Series and more recently James S A Corey's Expanse Series and this book feels like it wants to set up similar stage.
Whilst I will agree with other reviewers that the characters are not as well rounded and the science isn't as accurate as it could be, there are some inspired and novel twists that keep it interesting. There are elements that feel rushed however the balance between dialogue and narrative mean that this is a fun, fast-paced read that has you wanting more. I hope that in future books more time can be given to developing the characters without losing the sense of momentum. In short; don't expect this to be Iain M banks and you will be pleasantly surprised. I will certainly be buying the next instalment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for the begining of a series!, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
I thought this book was an interesting sci-fi fiction book and would recommend this book to people who like action and sci-fi. The ending of the book left you on a cliff hanger and it definitely makes you want to read the next book in the series. The book is a great starter for the series and if all the books are like this then it is going to be one of my favourites. I don't particularly like the main character, I would prefer if the main character was a young person. However, I do like the fact that he is very intelligent and makes exciting decisions. As for the rest of the characters, I felt that the book only focused on 2 or 3 characters and not give much thought to the other characters so much. I would have liked to get to know more about the other characters, so maybe that will happen in the other books in the series. (Review written by Zane aged 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars Contagious!, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
A highly infectious story that must be passed on to others!

Truly exciting and complete with the cool characters, pacy plot and healthy amount of action expected of any space opera. An ideal story for sci-fantasy/space enthusiasts yet transcendent of it's genre too so well worth a try for those curious others.

Scott satisfyingly covers all corners of his built universe with detailed rules, well within the realms of acceptability. However, if you're a reader who struggles to suspend disbelief, skip the unnecessary prologue and allow the story the grow as it should.

The editing unfortunately pulls it down to 4.5 but for most readers this shouldn't impede the flow. Once you begin you won't want to stop so buckle up.

Bring on book two. Kavaar!

5.0 out of 5 stars Storming opening episode, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was refreshing to read a good old fashioned science fiction story in the the mould of the great sci fi writers of yesteryear. Shields, space jumps of light years in minutes and good old fashioned ray guns.
The space battles were superbly described. I felt as though I was actually in a Nova Fighter. Good easy to follow plot which absolutely raced along. The characters were so well described, I felt I knew them personally.
Like all good stories, this one had a good twist at the end, which no one could see coming.
J T Scott has a real talent for keeping the reader engrossed.
He has whetted my appetite to find out what or who the new race are.

Dark Space