4.0 out of 5 stars The biggest game in town, 30 Oct 2013
If the title makes you think it's just ten match reports, think again. What you get is something like ten little novels, building into one trillion-pound, slightly deranged narrative packed with incident, atmosphere and insight. White has seen it all at close quarters and takes us to places others can't. He is very good on the blood and thunder of the games and the rough and tumble of the politics. What makes this book so good is its vividness and White is astute - it's not his fault he's a Manchester United supporter (well maybe it is) but he rises above it. He does pulsating justice to the Aguerooooooooo moment and Manchester City's sensational triumph in 2012; the Premier league's presiding geniuses - Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho - come to life on the page, warts and all; the self-destructive madness of Leeds and Portsmouth are captured and Peter Ridsdale and the other demolitionists properly brought to book. All this and much more, to the sound of millions of fans screaming in adulation and agony. This is the Premier League in 400 pages. Champion stuff

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, 6 April 2014
David Clark (Salzburg,Austria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Premier League: A History in 10 Matches (Kindle Edition)
Well written and as described in the foreward,some games that you'd not really have expected there.If you have followed the league a bit since it started then worth the effort to read.At 51p I couldn't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any football fan, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Premier League: A History in 10 Matches (Kindle Edition)
Not only is Jim White explaining the reason why the matches he has chosen are important, he has importantly put them into context.

The book is filled with little snippets of information about the club's concerned that I was not previously aware of.
Each match is put into its wider historical context rather than just the season they occurred in.

I was lucky enough to pick this up for 99p, but would have happily paid the cover price.

5.0 out of 5 stars John Matthews Prem History Review, 11 Mar 2014
I loved this book as it had all the information I wanted to know about the history of the Premier League in precise detail. I would definitely recommend it. The 10 matches were described succinctly and tactfully & I found I could relate to all the information written in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premier league's greatest hits, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Premier League: A History in 10 Matches (Kindle Edition)
Well researched and full of background detail,I really enjoyed this book.as an avid football fan I knew I would love it and I was right.I remembered all the games featured.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Premier League: A History in 10 Matches (Kindle Edition)
An excellent nostalgic account that reminds you how football has changed so much since 1992. It's not just about the big clubs. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Premier League: A History in 10 Matches (Kindle Edition)
read a few of Jim Whites books this is one of the best. Gripping well written and funny in places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 18 Feb 2014
Alison Boyce "Alison Boyce" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Although I haven't read it, I bought it for my Dad. He hasn't put it down and every match is a joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars great memories, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Premier League: A History in 10 Matches (Kindle Edition)
this was fantastic.i was after a decent read and this was it.10 matches doesnt sound that much to pack a book but this is.the history behind the games was great.the stories behind each game was great.please write more!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten mini epic stories, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Premier League: A History in 10 Matches (Kindle Edition)
I started reading and very quickly got addicted and sucked back in time. I grew up with the premier league and while I don't remember football much before I can certainly appreciate how much it has evolved over the years. The commentary in this book is excellent and I like Jim's approach to relaying these stories again. The attention to the wider picture of what those games meant or what they represent is excellent. Football is more than kicking a ball around pitch for 90mins; these stories are about the people behind the clubs, the fans, the players and how society grew to love football again. I only wish I don't have to wait 20 years for the second instalment.

ARRAY(0xa2b07774)