4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for fans of ghost stories
Published 13 months ago by HayleyisaGhost

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit ho-hum
Peter Underwood has written so many books he can probably write them in his sleep. This is ok but it's certainly one for the committed believer rather than an attempt at a serious discussion on why people think they see ghosts. It's all very "grey ladies" and wishful thinking. OK to pass the time with but nothing more.
Published 10 months ago by Kludge

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for fans of ghost stories, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Where the Ghosts Walk: The Gazetteer of Haunted Britain (Kindle Edition)
There have been Ghost Folklore books in my home for as long as I can remember. It's a symptom (if that's the right word) of growing up with a mother who has always had an interest in the paranormal, which is where I inherited my own fascination from. I mostly read books about the Paranormal folklore of Wiltshire or the West Country, but have on occasion read books about locations all across the UK.

None of them, it has to be said, stand up to `Where the Ghosts Walk' by Peter Underwood. This is the book that anyone with an interest in ghosts need to read. The detail in this book is wonderful, and I found myself unable to put it down on numerous occasions because I was caught up in a story or two. The photos provided by Underwood himself compliment the stories wonderfully, and many are of Underwood himself exploring the grounds of reputedly haunted buildings which bring a lovely personal touch to it. Many paranormal folklore books have a feeling of laziness about them because it seems the author has simply rewritten other peoples experiences, but Where the Ghosts Walk is a bit different because it is obvious that Underwood cares for each of the tales he writes about.

Obviously stories do not make evidence of the existence of ghosts, but I've always felt that Ghost Folklore plays an even bigger role in such research by telling us what people think and how they perceive weird occurrences around them. The number of stories within Where the Ghosts Walk is impressive, and the narrative is often gripping. This is a book that took me back to my days as a teenage ghost hunter and I would recommend it to anyone who has ever found delight in a good old-fashioned ghost story.

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought this was pretty good, 11 Feb 2014
MRS S URWIN (Northumberland - UK) - See all my reviews
I've read a LOT of books on the paranormal, and I bought this, as it was a book by Peter Underwood. Peter is one of the founding members of the Ghost Club, and has amassed many years of research and investigation into paranormal occurances.

It was a sensible description of haunted PLACES, rather than buildings. I'm particularly interested in "road ghosts", and he covered the main haunting sites in the UK. It wasn't all waffle - he discredited some ghostly appearances, and the stories that he included seemed well researched, especially as he seems to have visited the majority of the places he writes about.

There are some new stories here that I'd never read about - don't forget this is the guy that investigated the Borley Rectory haunting, and the famous "Tulip staircase" ghost. He obviously has a huge breadth of experience on the subject, and ensures that he thoroughly investigates each story. If he is uncertain on a source of evidence, he says so.

His writing style is slightly disjointed, and he loves hugely long sentences, but apart from that, this is a good book - and an interesting addition to anyone who is interested in the paranormal in the UK.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit ho-hum, 28 Oct 2013