5.0 out of 5 stars Perry has done it again
Published 11 months ago by C. Vencato

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed
I'm on Perry Marshall's email list and it's one of the few that I regularly pay attention to. I also enjoyed his book on Adwords but I was disappointed in this book.

Published 5 months ago by Paul Simister

5.0 out of 5 stars Perry has done it again, 15 Sep 2013
C. Vencato (UK) - See all my reviews
Perry is widely recognised as a Google ads expert, but with this book he clearly shows his apptitude for all aspects of marketing. I particularly like chapter 5 on how to find invisible money! Makes perfect sense but most of us are too tied up with our own methods that leave us exhausted to think like this. This book should be essential reading for anyone in marketing and sales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for sales & marketing people, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More (Kindle Edition)
Every year, there are a few books I read that have a profound impact on the way I work. This is one for 2013. An easy read, but a profound look at the fundamental way you structure your work.

If you are busy all day but not earning enough, Perry will show you step by step how to change that.

The biggest take-away for me was the 'five power dis-qualifiers' - how to target only the right customers. I was able to apply this immediately in my business to good effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth a fortune in the right hands, 7 Dec 2013
Great book. It really made understand and want to apply the 80/20 in every area of my life. I also gained some specific advice from this book regarding email marketing that will be worth hundreds of thousands of pounds to our business. The only dampener after such a great read was the religious guff right at the end and the suggestions of asking 'God' for advice! Totally unnecessary in this day and age but still it didn't ruin an inspirational, valuable and well written book.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed, 7 Mar 2014
Paul Simister (Birmingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

I believe in the 80/20 principle and it's something that I've used for years as a way to help business owners focus on the few things that really matter. I hoped the book would reveal plenty of new concepts to me that I could use with my clients but it didn't.

One of the big ideas is that the 20% that produce the 80% can be further divided. That means that 4% (20% of 20%) of customers can produce 64% (80% of 80%) of revenue. And then divided again and again until there is a tiny number of customers who individually spend a fortune.

If you have a business, does that sound likely to you? Does the 80/20 principle keep doubling up? If not, can it be made to? Can you find customers who will buy an ultra high priced version of your product or service, 10, 100 or even 1,000 times more expensive than normal?

It naturally works in Perry's business as an information marketer and business advisor. The book is a low cost product, recorded courses, live courses and then one to one consulting escalate prices rapidly and naturally provide people who want to trade up. The book at the moment costs 9 for the Kindle version and Perry will have plenty of clients who will pay him 1000 times that 9 (i.e. 9,000) and even much more.

This 80/20 escalation principle will work in some other markets but I don't believe it applies to across the board because brands are often not transportable across vastly different market segments. At a certain price, you'll want to move from a Ford to a Ferrari and so will your customers.

I also know the 80/20 is more generalisation than fact. In my experience, sometimes it is closer to 70/30 and other times 90/10.

The book goes on to cover some general direct response marketing ideas which are useful for new readers but much better covered elsewhere before other ways that the 80/20 rule can help you outside of marketing.

It's not a bad book. If you're not familiar with the idea or thought through practical issues like "how can you get more of the high spending customers?", then you will get some aha moments.

Unfortunately I expected much more and I was left feeling disappointed.

Paul Simister
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Massively Insightful, 19 April 2014
I suggest you read with your own venture always at the back of your mind. Not so much what it is today but what it might become. Be prepared to abandon much of what you're presently doing.

Perry Marshall's work is always valuable, but this one deserves reading at least twice a month and your business will change - for the better

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed the way I run my business, 10 Oct 2013
Just a quick note - although the 80/20 principle is fairly familiar to many business people, what Perry has done is apply it in unusual but very effective ways.. This has caused me to think very differently (and decide differently) not only about how I run my own business, but also how I also talk to others about building their own businesses.. Very practical, very interesting, very useful. Thanks Perry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xray vision for businesses, 24 Dec 2013
I have applied the techniques in this book to several aspects of my business. It is like looking through xray glasses and seeing what is really or could be driving your business. Would have paid many times the price to get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Many Tips and Strategies, 27 April 2014
There's so much good stuff in here I am very impressed. If I only got 1 chapter for the book price I would be happy. The chapter on rapid market research was my favourite!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT READ, 7 Sep 2013
Perry Marshall is the first author since me and the astonishingly brilliant Tim Ferriss to write a book about the 80/20 principle and he has done a wonderful job. He is an expert on sales and marketing and has brought far more depth to 80/20 sales and marketing than anyone else could. Since selling and marketing and pivotal activities in life today that alone makes this book essential reading for anyone in business.

But there is more. He applies the principle to your daily work life in a different way than I did, and what he says is very powerful. He tells you to outsource everything that is a low value use of your time. He challenges you to say how much an hour of your time is worth - and the answer is, very different for different activities. And what he writes about the "fractal" nature of 80/20 takes that insight to a new level. He is very hot on upselling, because within the top 20% there is always another 20%, and nearly everyone misses the jackpot of selling to the uber-enthusiast at the very top of the power curve. So make sure that you have the very expensive and profitable products that the ultra-valuable customers want to buy. You can't market something if you don't have the right product.

Perry's book made me think and it is written in a bouncy style that really keeps your interest. I recommend the book very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I had few aha moments reading this...., 28 Mar 2014
... but as someone mentioned it probably lacks a bit of depth plus I don't believe 80/20 is as universal as Perry seems to make it out to be. Despite little downfalls and generalizations this book still helped me a lot, so it's 5 stars. Treat it as an introduction to very important subject and research it in more depth. thanks to this book I realized that I paid too much attention to the wrong advertising channel and neglected the most important one. It straightened out few things for me so I personally highly recommend it to anyone. Especially someone who is not familiar with Pareto rule and wants to figure out the right order or things to do. Essential points are always neatly summarized at the end of each chapter, so you can quickly come back to the most information and scan it.