After investing a lot of time in choosing the right TV, I could not be happier with my choice. For starters, it looks stunning! The thin bezel and silver detail at the bottom look really smart.

Picture quality is fantastic, with loads of options to tailor the image. Took about 15 mins to get the picture just how I liked it, and well worth the effort...
Published 5 months ago by Mrs Amber Polhill

2.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good tv but NO "natural motion"
Published 11 months ago by R. Stevenson

2.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good tv but NO "natural motion", 29 July 2013
R. Stevenson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips 42" 42PFL5008T Full HD 1080p Smart (WiFi) 3D LED TV with FreeView HD and Ambilight (New for 2013) (Electronics)
Let me start off by saying that I am a fan of Philips TV's. I have bought them since 2002 and I have 3 of them in my house and I love them all. I especially love the "natural motion" function which removes movement judder making movement very smooth and realistic. I thought this tv had natural motion but it doesn't. I found the TV's boast of "Perfect Motion Rate" to be confusing. I thought that was some new name for natural motion but it isn't. In reading the online manual for the tv:

[...]

you will see that there is no "natural motion" mentioned anywhere in the manual. To get natural motion you have to go one model up (the 6 series).

[...]

The reason why I am posting these links is because I was chatting to Philips online support for about 20mins and they were absolutely adamant that this tv DID have natural motion. Even though I had the tv in front of me and it clearly didn't. I asked them to call me and they refused to do so, saying their phone lines were down.

I think the issue here is they should be clearer as to what "Perfect Motion Rate"(PMR) is and distinguish it from "natural motion". I also read on a website ( [...] ) that the panel flicker rate of this tv is 50Hz. The next model up (6 series TV's) has 100Hz panel flicker rate and "natural motion". One could conclude from this, that a minimum panel rate of 100Hz is required to get "natural motion". Also, perhaps "Pixel Precise HD" indicates it has natural motion but "Pixel plus HD" means it doesn't? It is all very confusing to say the least.

The current 2013 batch of TV's from Philips are getting very difficult to distinguish between with regards to their functions. Even the employees of the company don't know....or rather they think they know....

My advice to Philips is simple.

1) Keep making brilliant TV's !
2) Try and be clearer with the differences between the TV's in your ad's.
3) Please state if the tv has "natural motion" or not in the spec.
4) Ensure support staff are adequately trained in the differences between the tv's

I will continue to buy Philips TV's, however I will be checking the online manual for the tv before I make the next purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture & build quality. Ambilight really enhances viewing experience. Love it!, 20 Feb 2014

Did not have high expectations for the sound quality with it being so thin, and was quite prepared to have to buy a soundbar - actually the sound quality is pretty darn good.

Aside from the looks, picture quality, sound & 3D, the best thing about this TV is the Ambilight feature! This really makes a difference, especially with the lights dimmed. It's a great talking point when friends come round too.

Have given this 5 stars as I could not be happier with this TV.