4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent preschool toy
Published 21 months ago by Mrs K. A. R. W.

3.0 out of 5 stars Need patience to listen to a story, slow going.
Quite nice as a cuddly toy. Reads to you but bit slow going when a child already uses an ipad.
Published 16 months ago by Anne Hales

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent preschool toy, 17 Oct. 2013
Mrs K. A. R. W. "Ha Tikvah" (N. Ireland U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I fell in love with this long before my granddaughter even set eyes on it, & so wish I'd had something for myself when I was a child. It's a perfect size for cuddling and yet very durable despite being dropped repeatedly. I sometimes felt I wanted to rescue "her" but she proved my fears unfounded. I think (in a perfect world) the only extra I'd have liked would have been removable coats/covers for washing as it can get a bit dirty at times, but easily sponged clean.

Educationally, the books are fine. Patting Violet's head began the story, & it was lovely watching my granddaughter almost falling asleep to the slightly hypnotic voice. With the stories being interactive, it keeps the interest up more than just hearing it read to her. Mind you I'm not so sure on the cheek squeezing idea - she just tried that out on her year old pup - he wasn't quite so accomodating but we explained to her that Violet's a special type of dog who will allow her to do such things, but perhaps not to try them out on the local pups!!

Overall, a great toy & one that will last for some time to come I suspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A big educational hit with my 4 year old nephew - he sits happily 'reading' on his own and he's the perfect age for the toy, 17 Oct. 2013
Charlie-CJ (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this to my 4 year old nephew who's just started school part-time. I was worried that he may be too old as the blurb says from 2, but he adored it. He loves Scout and it really helps that he's also on telly - this green doggy Scout is a boy and there's a purple doggy version LeapFrog Read with Me (Violet) that's for the girls. My nephew uses all five illustrated reading books supplied with Scout. He sits down with the books and Scout, and he's keen to learn as he's doing similar things at school in reception class. Scout says things like "Touch my head if you want to do the green book". Touch his head and he says "Oh we've chosen the green book". And my nephew works through the book with Scout while sitting on his own - no adult help needed. We think 4 is a good age for this Read With Me Scout toy, as Scout needs some skill to get working correctly, which may be beyond those under 4 (at age 2 he would just be a nice cuddly thing).

It's suggested you can also read the books at bedtime, but we haven't read them to him as Scout reads them out anyway. My nephew does like story books and he wants to be read a story every night, so that's probably why Scout was such a hit. In fact when his mum was sick in bed recently with a cold, he brought Scout in to see her and they got married apparently (after Scout said a few words). So for us, Read With Me Scout is a good educational toy and a nice cuddly, and we rate it 5*. The books have UK spellings, the Scout toy & books are well made, and Scout has a British sounding voice. Scout requires 3xAA batteries which are included, and he has a lot of stock phrases such as 'You are my best friend' and over 70 comprehension questions about pages in the books. Scout is quite large and made of material rather than fur. Scout is now so popular with my nephew, he has become his preferred night-time cuddly in bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy., 9 May 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Read with Me (Toy)
I bought Scout for my grandaughter's 5th Birthday.She loves it and takes him everywhere with her.I would definately recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun way for kids to learn, 8 May 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Read with Me (Toy)
This was a present for my grandson, he loves it and it really makes learning to read much more fun

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, Little Issues, 13 Mar. 2014
dmcnabb - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: LeapFrog Read with Me (Toy)
I purchased a Violet away from Amazon from my son. He has a few Scout related items, and had been asking for a Violet. My son loves books and loves "reading". I had some really high hopes for the Read With Me Teddy and Books but there are little things about it that I don't like, but so many things that I do.
My son has autism, and this was suggested to me as a good sensory toy. I wouldn't necessarily say this was great for children with sensory needs. My son was terrified of Violet when he first seen her. She is big and very in your face. Her voice is louder than he would like, although it is not at such a volume that it irritates me. I let my son have a look at all of the books for a few hours with Violet perched in a corner where she wasnt so scary. After a while I turned the sound on again and only managed to get them together by pushing the heart on her face which she makes a sound like shes blowing a kiss and says "youre so nice!". As a reading system for a child with learning difficulties I dont think its fast enough for him and hes finished with the book before shes got past the first page.
There are breaks where Violet "Interacts" with the user by asking the user to touch something red on the book or what do you think will happen next sort of questions. She will then praise the user, and theres no way for her to know they have actually done it. (ie you dont press a button on her to indicate your answer) The books are quick and simple. There are about 5 pages that are both right and left side together. The illustrations are typical of the scout & violet books for the tag junior or the apps on the leap pad. It is very animated, very colourful and happy looking. The stories are very minimal, each page is maybe a sentence or two. There are various themes. The pages have a word highlighted to indicate what the book is trying to show the difference between - ie various colours, numbers. The books are about #1 - lets go camping - number of animals they find while camping in different locations #2 Lets find violets toy - violets ball goes missing and she looks around for it #3Lets Have a Party - Eli, Penny, and Scout come to a part violets having, this is themed around different colours - ie colour of the cake, decorations etc. #4 Lets cheer up Eli - Sentences are rhyming #5 Lets Learn about the Weather - pretty much exactly what it says all about what you wear in different weather and what different weathers like.
Her buttons inc a "sleep" setting where she reads and plays lullabies and the reading / playing function. There are buttons numbered 1-5 under her mouth to indicate which book youd like to read, they are colour coded along with the books. There is a blue bone on one of her feet, which she'll ask you to press during some of the stories. When you press it away from the book it talks about playing. Theres a music note on her other paw and it plays various music. Theres a place to press on her back and shell ask you to press when youre reading. If you press it away from the story she'll say youre a good friend. The star on the top of her head is to start reading or turn the page. The heart on her cheek she blows a kiss and says "youre so nice". Her voice is sort of British. Sometimes it does sound a bit American.
My main gripe is the sensors! There appears to be an issue with the one that we have, and I have heard about this happening - where the sensors in the head are really sensative. Violet will often blow a kiss when you press the star, or if you even move next to her. This is usually sorted out by mashing her head around a bit (which usually you feel like after hearing 5 minutes of her blowing a kiss non stop!!!) :)
Overall my son has taken to her eventually. Having heard this is great for children with additional needs due to the "sensory" aspects of this toy I wouldn't necessarily agree. It took a day of careful interaction with my son to get him interested in her. I've had to show my son how she works - ie that the books have corresponding numbers. Would be perfect if there was some way violet could tell if you had turned the page or what book was in front of her. It is a bit slow and reads very slow, could do with being sped up a slight bit. The stories are nice and its a bit extra beyond the typical scout or violet and is great I think for children who are in the very early stages of reading or identifying numbers. I personally sit wit my son and point at the words as Violet reads them, which works well for him. I'd suggest for the intended age range - definitely the younger suggested age group that it is used with parent interaction. I wouldn't suggest if you're hoping to give this to an 18 month old and hope that it benefits them (unless they are able to read or identify numbers, etc otherwise they've just got a scout and some books) It is cute and I would definitely purchase it for another child in my life. I think its worth having if you're going to use it with your child, otherwise it is just a cute toy and nice books.

5.0 out of 5 stars great toy for any kid., 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Read with Me (Toy)
This is a brilliantly educational toy for any child to own , my granddaughter aged just two absolutely loves playing with Scout and her vocabulary has come on in leaps and bounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable interactive fun., 2 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As soon as you open the box even as an adult you can't help but go 'Awwwww!' it is a very large, very cute, very soft green dog and he can't wait to be friends with you!! You can't take it out of the box without his many cute phrases playing asking you to pat his head or cuddle him. He comes with some small books which are perfect for the little ones starting to read as they can look at the pictures and he will read the story - you press the number on him for one of the numbered books and he will read them intermingled with cute expressions to keep the child interested.

He has many spots on him which you press or squeeze where he has a vast bank of questions and phrases, after the little one playing with this solidly for 2 weeks I haven't heard many phrases repeated often. He is addictive fun and even has a sleepytime setting for when your child is settling down for bed where songs are played.

It is very cute and my 2 absolutely love him at 2 years and 5 years old. He has a British voice which is great and it isn't annoying for adults to hear on repeat, it's actually very sweet!

Lovely, lively, fun, engaging toy and a bargain price - it's high quality and would make a big, exciting gift for any child. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, kids will love it!, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Read with Me (Toy)
We bought this for Christmas for our 2yr old daughter and she loves it. It's lovely and soft but durable too. The books are a good size but small enough for little hands and there's so much to do. I highly recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but the read-along stories yet to engage our son, 19 Sept. 2013
antom "antom" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Leapfrog Read with Me (Scout) is well made - sturdy, quality materials, with no sharp edges or loose parts. The plastic sound box fits snugly inside the dog and is safely surrounded by padding. Even the product's packaging was very secure.

Operating Scout is very easy - to get him to read one of the five books you press a numbered button on his collar. In addition, touch pads around his body add to the interaction, and a useful Sleepy Time Mode turns these off but still allows the read-aloud story or eight minutes of lullabies.

The sound quality is good and the readings are clear and well spoken.

Each story is only five pages long and covers a basic concept such as counting, colours, the weather, emotions. Our 3 year old enjoys listening to the lullabies and interacting with Scout, and he usually loves being read stories. But he hasn't yet had the interest or patience to listen to Scout (or me) reading any of the five supplied stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 24 Nov. 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Read with Me (Toy)
bought for my little girls Christmas but gave her it early last week for her 2nd bday. she has the normal violet puppy and loves it so this was instantly a hit. can be used without the books as-well as she sings songs etc... my lo loves books so this is a huge hit :) got it for near enough £10 as-well so the price was fantastic!

LeapFrog Read with Me (Violet)