4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but too early for my son's interest
Published 4 months ago by Elena-K

3.0 out of 5 stars Leapfrog Touch Magic Ocean Music School
The Leapfrog Ocean Music School is a brightly coloured electronic board which aims to teach the names of ocean animals, musical instruments and colours through 3 modes of learning - compose, song and game. It is marketed as being suitable for age 3 and over, is easy for a toddler to hold or carry and, most importantly, batteries (3xAAA) are included.
All of the...
Published 20 months ago by Gill

3.0 out of 5 stars Leapfrog Touch Magic Ocean Music School, 19 Sept. 2013
Gill (Bangor, NI) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
All of the actions on the board respond to touch - there are no buttons - and the child is given an action to do after the "Let's create Music" "Let's play music" or "Let's play a game" introduction, depending on which mode they have chosen. Surprisingly, only the 3 stars on the board light up but the sound can be turned up or down as necessary which is certainly useful as the female voice is quite shrill. The "compose" mode is the most interactive as they can make tunes with the guitar, trombone or drum. Swirling the goldfish on the top left hand side of the board can slow down or speed up the music. The "song" mode plays short well known songs and children can add instruments as it plays or play along on the rainbow coloured keyboard. The "game" mode involves the octopus asking the child to touch something of a certain colour or find and touch a specific object i.e. an instrument or one of the creatures.
I have had a mixed reaction to this toy. My 3 year old niece - who loves music - played with it for a short period of time and then got bored as she knows her colours and the songs. Her 2 year old friends loved it and were captivated for several hours pressing all the buttons without necessarily following the instructions.
Overall, the Leapfrog Ocean Music School is well made, durable and a perfect size for younger children. Given that there are no loose or small parts which could be dangerous I would suggest that this toy might also be suitable for a younger age, say 20 months or above, as they could get as much, if not more, enjoyment from this toy than the age 3 and over group recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but too early for my son's interest, 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: LeapFrog Touch Magic Ocean Music School (Toy)
Well, I personally liked the thing but my 8 months old son hasn't shown much interest unfortunately. I'm not too upset as means I have it for later. I think this is because real buttons are more attracting for him than touch board. The only thing I don't quite like is the quality of the sound - not too pure I'd say. There're 2 tiny stars lighting up with dull yellow colour if somebody needs this information. Would be better if it was more than just one colour.

5.0 out of 5 stars great toy, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Touch Magic Ocean Music School (Toy)
Who ever thinks a 2 or 3 year old won't like this toy is crazy. I'm 20 and played for ages. It's amazing can mix your own beats and add in music behind your track. Tap, strum, circle, it's a great toy for a toddler and my 2 year old will love it Christmas morning. Battery's are already in so no faffing. I can only imagine a 2-3 year old not liking it if they didn't understand it. My 2 year olds very bright so will be a wiz at it. Happy all round.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 6 month old was enthralled, 18 months later she still loves it!, 18 Sept. 2013
Lilyfae (West Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As soon as I opened the package from amazon my then 6 month old was transfixed and because it was already set to 'on' quickly worked out by bashing how to turn it on properly and started playing with it with jubilation. 18 months later she still loves it and yells "FISH!" whenever she sees it.

The pad has 3 settings
Compose-''free play' which allows a choice or combination of 3 backing tracks (brass/drum/guitar) to be combined with short riffs from the other instruments.
Song: where the instruments play a short well known song and you can play along on the keyboard or add harp, drum,guitar or brass
Game: matching game where the octopus asks the child to touch something a certain colour or to find the ... (Sea animal or instrument)

There is also a slow down function by swirling the goldfish clockwise or counter and an excellent function on the back to make quieter for sensitive ears/sensory sensitive children or louder for older children.
I'm particularly pleased with an octave do-re-mi scale which it is shocking how difficult a do-re-mi scale is to find but a full octave? Full points to leap frog!

All in all, my 6 month old got and now 2 years old still gets a lot of fun from the colours,sounds and enjoys it immensely, whilst she's now getting there with her colours, it's still just fun with hints of the full learning and success experience an even older child would through the matching exercises etc but I like that factor that a toddler could get as much pleasure as a younger sibling but in different ways.

Success all round!

4.0 out of 5 stars age group is about right, 15 Oct. 2013
Sian Louise (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Again this was another toy I was testing out for Amazon Vine that I was considering to give to my daughter to play with.

Upon turning this on my first thought was how loud this was, I couldn't see a volume control on it either but my daughter wasn't about so I continued looking it over.

It does play a variety of sounds and music and I can see how some children would enjoy this but I definitely don't think my daughter is the right age range for this. Upon looking at the age range its recommended for, my daughter is only 15 months compared to the 3+ years it recommends. She will be able to press the buttons and play with this toy to a certain extent but I do agree with the recommended age for this toy because as smart as she is (I say smart because at 15 months she is an expert with the ipad) I'm fairly certain she won't understand the concept of the game "find this colour" as obviously she doesn't know her colours yet.

Overall I would think this is a good game for slightly older children and like other Leapfrog toys it definitely has an educational part to it. For now I think I will keep this toy back until she more able to use and play with it properly.

If you like Leapfrog products then this might be a good option to go with for a good fun educational toy for Christmas. I find the majority of Leapfrog products to be good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... songs on this (and creating her own) and has loved it since she was 8 months old, 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: LeapFrog Touch Magic Ocean Music School (Toy)
My 1 year old loves the songs on this (and creating her own) and has loved it since she was 8 months old! Well worth the price as will last for years to come. Also the sound quality is better than most musical toys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for younger children but not 3+ as suggested, 14 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's interesting that this toy is 3+ yet all the other reviewers and myself reckon that 3+ is too old, it should be for younger children. My daughter Jennifer loves it and she's 2. It's nice to hold and is quite noisy whatever mode it is in. She loves noise. The great thing is it comes with batteries so can be used straight from the box, so would make a great Christmas present. Nothing worse than opening a present but it cant be used. Overall it's a nice toy and reasonable value.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is fab the kids both loved it. My only issue was that the advert ..., 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Touch Magic Ocean Music School (Toy)
This is fab the kids both loved it. My only issue was that the advert said it was okay for 1 1/2 year olds but when it came the box said 3 year olds. But it was fine

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick Reviews!, 16 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We already have a Leapfrog guitar which has seen a fair amount of use over the last year, so when I saw this I thought it was time to branch out and turn my eldest into a genius multi-instrumentalist. The Touch Magic Ocean is a music desk featuring Keyboard, another guitar, drums, trombone and harp, and a variety of other features such as a fun tempo control (spin your finger in e circle to speed or slow down) and different modes allowing basic free play, mixing in other tracks, or an educational mode which teaches the names of the instruments, animals etc. Yes, there are animals involved, as the artwork depicts an experimental underwater jazz-bubble fusion entertaining the crustacean masses. Bright lights flash in step with the music, the creatures are bright and appealing, and the toy itself is mostly strong, safe, and intuitive. My only complaint is the lack of a stand of some sort as it mat be easier for some kids to stand and play rather than sprawl on the floor. Of course, you can always stick it on a sofa.
My kids have enjoyed experimenting with the toy so far, meaning the other keyboards and musical toys we own have been temporarily relegated. As well as teaching your children that music is fun, it also makes some fragile attempts at teaching about colours etc which most 3 year olds will presumably already know. More importantly are the lessons that the toy teaches about marine life - that the Octopus is a skilled conductor, the blowfish gets its name from its brass-instrument talents, the Seahorse and Dolphin can both stand on the sand at the bottom of the sea and make angelic harmonies, and that the lack of hands and fingers does not hinder the Starfish or crab from extreme technical musical feats. The toy is very easy to clean, and is light enough for a toddler to carry about without dropping or damaging. Well worth a go for a different typ of musical toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let your little one learn the value of music through those little urchins who live in the Ocean.., 26 Aug. 2013
Petra just a girl who loves to read... "book ... (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Leapfrog Ocean Music School is a great toy for pre-schoolers for one main reason it is a fun way for them to learn their colours, music, animals and a few extras in between. From the moment the Ocean Music School entered our home this has been a great hit for everyone involved especially for the wee boy who it is for, the main reason he loves playing with this particular toy is as a baby he has loved music and the louder the better. Now with this he can make his own which he does with gusto - if only he could sing in tune it might be easier for the adults but as long as he is happy that is all that matters. From the first moment he got it between his sticky fingers he fell in love with the very vivid colours along with the pretty ocean residents he was in total amazement that such a beautiful item in his eyes could make so much brilliant loud music. For us adults we can learn him as he plays which is an added bonus as he soon catches on to the very touch orientated play area, all he has to do is tap and he is making his own very varied music plus the added bonus of the play area lighting up as the kids compose and layer their own music. This for me is brilliant as it fuels their love for music and now they will learn how it actually can be built up using different sounds and notes through the keyboard which is also brightly coloured at the bottom.
At the top left hand corner it only takes either a swirl of your finger clockwise or anti-clockwise and the music either speeds up or slows down. There is also three areas which the user touches either to allow the child to compose music which I have to admit is our wee man's favourite (so far). The second is the song key which I have to admit is my favourite, the child is guided to touch the different instruments where they each have a song, the third button is games and the games involved helps them learn as they play.
The makers have truly thought of everything and as always Leap Pad company is first for learning children and they have not failed regarding educating pre-schoolers which is the main reason I love this so much. Even the older children who visit me love to play this and have many hours of fun making their own kind of music! It also very good at showing them colours as in the game button they are learnt the colours, instruments even the animals of the deep.
I can honestly say nothing bad about this toy plus the added bonus it comes all powered up ready to go plus it is wipe clean and this is a major plus in this house as the kids have a lovely habit of playing with sticky fingers. It is so easy for the kids to operate as it only take a press of the on/off button and they immediately find it as it is designed like the button on major computers/tablets which all kids seem to know how to operate from the word go these days. This toy is also made with a very handy carry handle with is ideal for the parents but especially as the toy is so light it is so easy for the child to carry about.
The Ocean Music School made by Leap Pad is a great toy for all young children and I can assure those who are thinking of buying it the kids will love playing especially if they are like my younger nephew who loves music and anything that makes noise, if we can teach him through play this is an added bonus.

LeapFrog Touch Magic Ocean Music School