4.0 out of 5 stars The search for Richard I on his way home from the crusades
Published on 21 April 2008 by blanc sanglier

3.0 out of 5 stars Very, very slow paced and doesn't pick up (2.5)
Published on 15 Jun 2008 by Misfit

4.0 out of 5 stars The search for Richard I on his way home from the crusades, 21 April 2008
This review is from: The Lute Player (Paperback)
This is a very fictional account of the finding of King Richard I by his lute player Blondin, who found him, so the story goes, by visiting castles in the area where he was supposed to be imprisoned by the Emperor of Germany. Richard, we are told had a good singing voice, and Blondin heard singing coming from a castle, and recognizing the voice as that of his sovreign, sang back to him and then got word to his mother Queen Eleanor that her son had been found. This is more fairy story than fact, but it is a pleasant fiction, and enjoyable, although not as good as her other novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blanc Sanglier, 4 April 2008
This review is from: Lute Player (Paperback)
I love all the stories of the Plantagenet kings, and this was one of the first I read, a gentle introduction into their world, maybe not historically correct but an easy read and I can still remember it, years on, so it cannot have been too bad !

3.0 out of 5 stars Very, very slow paced and doesn't pick up (2.5), 15 Jun 2008
Misfit (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lute Player (Paperback)
The Lute Player is told in several parts, with each part being told in the first person POV of one of the main characters, Blondel the Lute Player, Anna a fictional half sister of Berengaria and Eleanor of Aquitaine, Richard's mother. The story begins as Blondel finds his way to the Court of Navarre and home to Berengaria and Anna. Berengaria is in love with Richard (who is engaged to the King of France's sister), the hunchbacked Anna is in love with Blondel and Blondel is in love with Berengaria. Richard's engagement is eventually broken and desperate for more funds to finance his crusade, he agrees to marry Berengaria. The rest of the book details known history, the wedding on the way to the crusade, the third crusade itself and Richard's alleged preference for young boys, his being taken hostage on the way home from the crusade and his non-existent relationship with his wife.

I love reading medieval fiction and learning of the history of the times, but frankly I found this whole book to be quite boring and by the time it got to the crusade half way through I found myself skimming quite a bit, and the final third covering the last days of Richard and Berengaria were just one big snooze fest, at least for this reader. It could just be me; I've never been that fond of Richard I and Berengaria I found to be bordering on the TSTL category, almost, but not quite. I guess if you're a die hard fan of this ruler and want to learn more about him it might be worth your while, but I would recommend getting this one from the library first (as I did) and then buy it if you like it. 2.5 stars rounded up to three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Lute Player (Paperback)
Bought as a presnet for a closer friend. Good reading. That lad... I have read nearly all her books.y can write!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lute Player, 26 Nov 2013
Susan Edwards (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lute Player (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderful novel, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves history and historical fiction interwoven with facts. I have this in book form, but it is so old now, I decided to go for a Kindle copy. I love Norah Lofts, and have all of her books, and hope to be able to get them all on Kindle.
I love stories where different characters tell parts of the story, and write in the first person. There are some wonderful characters in this book, and the way that Norah Lofts writes,you can really "see" them. A thoroughly good read. I would recommend also. "A Queen in Waiting" by this author, which is a story of Eleanor (Richard the Lion Hearts Mother) and it ties in this The Lute Player.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am enjoying the book however I have always enjoyed a Norah Loft book and have several on my ..., 13 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Lute Player (Paperback)
The book arrived next day after ordering I on Amazon. I am enjoying the book however I have always enjoyed a Norah Loft book and have several on my book shelf

5.0 out of 5 stars I have recently re discovered Norah Lofts and I loved this book, 22 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Lute Player (Kindle Edition)
I have recently re discovered Norah Lofts and I loved this book. She has a wonderful way of setting the scene and her characters are totally believable.

The Lute Player