Published on 25 July 2011 by P

Published 3 months ago by Casey Phillips

4.0 out of 5 stars Great basic heart rate monitor without the bells and whistles, 25 July 2011
P (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a great HR monitor for the price. It obviously tells you your heart rate, but also tells you if you're training in the fat burning zone. This is a huge advantage to somebody like me who does cardio like running and skipping as it can tell you if you're pushing too hard or not hard enough. I now realise that for about 6 months I've been pushing too hard in the running and have actually been elevating my heart rate above the optimal needed for fat burning.

The sensor strap that comes with it, which you wear around your chest to monitor the actual heart rate (which then sends a signal to the watch) is comfortable and hasn't rubbed or irritated my skin at all. You do have to wet the sensors before putting it on and my advice is to use lukewarm water, because cold water can obviously be a little too cold when you first attach the strap.

What it does:

1) Tells you if you're in the target fat burning zone (the most useful info of the lot in my opinion).

2) Tells you how many calories you've burnt.

3) Tells you how long your exercise lasted for and how much of that time was spent in the fat burning zone.

4) It gives you a maximum heart rate for training period, as well as an average.

5) It also tells you the time of day.

What it doesn't do:

1) It doesn't tell you the distance you've covered.

2) It doesn't come with software that you can use to sync your results to your computer. However, you can go to the Polar training website and input your results manually, which is what I do; and you'll still get a record and chart of your results over a period of time.

So, a pretty good HR monitor and cheap considering the features you get. It's simple to use and takes 2 minutes when you first use it to input some basic details about yourself including age, weight and height. For this price I can live without fancy software to sync up with the computer; I don't mind manually entering my data results onto the Polar website. I can also live without features such as backlit watch face or dive-resistance. It would've been nice to have had results for distance covered; but I guess you can't have everything at this price level. You can always easily figure out how far you've run yourself anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a competition with yourself!!, 12 Aug 2014
Excellent product!! Been using this for a few weeks and have found it really useful in all of my workouts as I now use it to beat my targets and help me best understand where my heart rate needs to be! It's comfy to wear and the strap is very discreet under the hem of my sportsbra, the watch is a pretty colour and doesn't get in the way, I don't wear any other jewellery whilst working out. I have recommended this product to my friends and have 3 of them wearing it now and we always compare our workout summaries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great, 13 April 2013
book_thief (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
I used this heart monitor for the first time today and wanted to write a review about it so more people know how great this product is. There are so many heart monitors on the market and most of them extremely expensive, however I find that this little gem at a little more than £50 is all I need and want from a heart monitor.

I bought the brown one which looks great in the picture but not so much in reality; it's basically a washed out brown colour but this doesn't bother me so I didn't mark it down.

It's easy to set up (google FT4 manual and follow instructions; the actual product only comes with basic set up instructions)- input your weight/ height/ dob etc press start and off you go.

You can toggle between 3 screens whilst working out: zone screen which tells you whether you are in the fitness zone as well as your bpm, time and calories burnt and finally bpm only. I use the first screen throughout the workout and then toggle between screens at the end to see how long I spent "in the zone" and how many calories I burnt. Genius.

My fitness zone is between 125 and 150 (the watch works this out from the info you provided when setting up) but you can change this manually if you wish. For example, if I was doing target training and was interested in keeping my heart rate around 135-140 which is my ideal fat burning zone, I can set the zone to 130-145 manually.

At the end; it will tell you what you average heart rate was throughout (mine was 135 which is my ideal fat burning rate- hooray!) and also tells you what the maximum heart rate was at some point during the workout.

For those who don't know how to work out your optimal far burning zone you can do it by working out your maximum heart rate first and use this to get your fat burning zone which is about 60-70% of your maximum heart rate.
Here goes:

220 - your age. So if you are 40, your maximum heart rate is 180. So your optimal fat burning zone is 110- 130 bpm heart rate which is 60-70% of 180. Some articles also state that its 50-60% percent rather than 60-70% but I prefer to stick with the higher rate.

This watch is an excellent piece of kit for a fraction of the cost you would pay for others like this on the market.

3.0 out of 5 stars I used that one pretty muxh every day for about 10 months with no ..., 18 Aug 2014
This is the second polar ft4 I have brought. My first one was faulty and after changing the battery in the Monitor and the watch it still wouldn't connect and never picked up the transmitter. I used that one pretty muxh every day for about 10 months with no issues what so ever and then it just completely stopped working. I missed my ft4 so repurchased this one. Although I love it when it's working there is nothing more annoying than looking down to check your heart rate and seeing the dreaded "check heart rate transmitter" sign. I don't know what it is with me or weather it's just bad luck, I've made sure the strap is tight enough and wet enough I've changed batteries in both devices and still having problems.
To conclude, I absolutely love the device when it's working and it's perfect for the gym. But I don't know how reliable it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 April 2013
Love it! Don't notice the strap. Watch is a great size! Motivates me to push harder in my work outs!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing buy! Recommend it!, 15 Aug 2014
Ordered it after seeing a few good reviews. I got the pink model of the FT4F. the watch arrived on time. It is very easy to set up, and easy to get started with.
The HRM and the strap fit very nicely.
The HRM is very accurate, and I use it every time I go spinning/ running/ swimming. I avoid it when I do laps of swimming, and use an online calories calculator, but use it for classes like Aquazumba. You have to ensure when swimming that the strap is very tight, as water passing between the strap and the skin might lose the heart rate.
I use it to monitor my calories consumption, and it is much more accurate than the machines in the gym.
Because you can store all data in files, you can also keep track of your calorie loss over time, and see whether cardio improves (the more I cycle the less calories I lose), which helps in knowing what you need to improve and when you need to challenge yourself a bit more.
The HRM tells you, according to your data, whether you are in the fat burning zone or in the cardio zone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Polar Ft4, 11 Mar 2014
I bought this HRM a few months ago after doing a lot of research and getting some recommendations from people, and I'm so happy I did! Its simple to use, tells me all the things I want or need to know and is like my new gym buddy. It makes me feel motivated and push myself a little bit harder. Would definitely recommend!

3.0 out of 5 stars The watch arrived not working with the strap provided, I then had to go and buy a new strap, 26 July 2013
Ms. Claire Weir (Edinburgh, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
The watch is great, does all I want for the gym, however it did not work with the strap it came with, I had to go and buy a new strap after paying for this one

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to set up and simple to use. Good value ., 29 May 2014
I actually ordered this watch as a present for my daughter for use during her spin classes. It was easy to set up and to use. The chest strap sits comfortably in place during all her exercise classes. It was definitely a good investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 30 Jan 2014
I don't regret this buy! Well worth it! I wear it every time I go to the gym. Or run outside, it's great to keep track! Battery is great, haven't had to change it yet, 6 months after I bought it and use it a lot.