Published on 25 July 2011 by P

The watch is great, does all I want for the gym, however it did not work with the strap it came with, I had to go and buy a new strap after paying for this one
Published 12 months ago by Ms. Claire Weir

4.0 out of 5 stars Great basic heart rate monitor without the bells and whistles, 25 July 2011
P (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a great HR monitor for the price. It obviously tells you your heart rate, but also tells you if you're training in the fat burning zone. This is a huge advantage to somebody like me who does cardio like running and skipping as it can tell you if you're pushing too hard or not hard enough. I now realise that for about 6 months I've been pushing too hard in the running and have actually been elevating my heart rate above the optimal needed for fat burning.

The sensor strap that comes with it, which you wear around your chest to monitor the actual heart rate (which then sends a signal to the watch) is comfortable and hasn't rubbed or irritated my skin at all. You do have to wet the sensors before putting it on and my advice is to use lukewarm water, because cold water can obviously be a little too cold when you first attach the strap.

What it does:

1) Tells you if you're in the target fat burning zone (the most useful info of the lot in my opinion).

2) Tells you how many calories you've burnt.

3) Tells you how long your exercise lasted for and how much of that time was spent in the fat burning zone.

4) It gives you a maximum heart rate for training period, as well as an average.

5) It also tells you the time of day.

What it doesn't do:

1) It doesn't tell you the distance you've covered.

2) It doesn't come with software that you can use to sync your results to your computer. However, you can go to the Polar training website and input your results manually, which is what I do; and you'll still get a record and chart of your results over a period of time.

So, a pretty good HR monitor and cheap considering the features you get. It's simple to use and takes 2 minutes when you first use it to input some basic details about yourself including age, weight and height. For this price I can live without fancy software to sync up with the computer; I don't mind manually entering my data results onto the Polar website. I can also live without features such as backlit watch face or dive-resistance. It would've been nice to have had results for distance covered; but I guess you can't have everything at this price level. You can always easily figure out how far you've run yourself anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, 7 May 2014
Really helps motivate me on work outs seems to be accurate I have used it for a variety of classes and it has helped em find my ideal heart rates to keep going, once I get to 190 I cannot keep up the exercise.
I don't know how accurate the calorie count is but it produces logical amounts versus activity estimates. On the treadmill at the gym I noticed that for very intense work outs when my heart rate is high it counts for more calories than the treadmill predicts and when my heart rate is low I don't get as many calories burnt as the treadmill thinks I will. Which makes sense.
It helps me quantify the calories burnt in odd exercise classes. I know Zumba claims you can burn 1000 calories but I have been to classes where it is similar to walking on the spot and only 300 calories are burnt in the hour. It is really helpful to know this so I do not overeat after a class in which I performed badly.It also motivates me to go the extra mile at the end of the class because It shows me it is worth it and does have a benefit.
Would recommend to anyone struggling to loose weight or just wanting monitor their weight and optimise their exercise regime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great, 13 April 2013
book_thief (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
I used this heart monitor for the first time today and wanted to write a review about it so more people know how great this product is. There are so many heart monitors on the market and most of them extremely expensive, however I find that this little gem at a little more than 50 is all I need and want from a heart monitor.

I bought the brown one which looks great in the picture but not so much in reality; it's basically a washed out brown colour but this doesn't bother me so I didn't mark it down.

It's easy to set up (google FT4 manual and follow instructions; the actual product only comes with basic set up instructions)- input your weight/ height/ dob etc press start and off you go.

You can toggle between 3 screens whilst working out: zone screen which tells you whether you are in the fitness zone as well as your bpm, time and calories burnt and finally bpm only. I use the first screen throughout the workout and then toggle between screens at the end to see how long I spent "in the zone" and how many calories I burnt. Genius.

My fitness zone is between 125 and 150 (the watch works this out from the info you provided when setting up) but you can change this manually if you wish. For example, if I was doing target training and was interested in keeping my heart rate around 135-140 which is my ideal fat burning zone, I can set the zone to 130-145 manually.

At the end; it will tell you what you average heart rate was throughout (mine was 135 which is my ideal fat burning rate- hooray!) and also tells you what the maximum heart rate was at some point during the workout.

For those who don't know how to work out your optimal far burning zone you can do it by working out your maximum heart rate first and use this to get your fat burning zone which is about 60-70% of your maximum heart rate.
Here goes:

220 - your age. So if you are 40, your maximum heart rate is 180. So your optimal fat burning zone is 110- 130 bpm heart rate which is 60-70% of 180. Some articles also state that its 50-60% percent rather than 60-70% but I prefer to stick with the higher rate.

This watch is an excellent piece of kit for a fraction of the cost you would pay for others like this on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item would highly recommend, 20 Mar 2014
It does exactly as it says. I use it almost everyday & it has always been reliable & accurate. Would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 April 2013
Love it! Don't notice the strap. Watch is a great size! Motivates me to push harder in my work outs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to do!, 12 Mar 2014
I bought this as I've been counting calores for a little while and I've been going on estimates but wanted to get a better idea of how many calories I was burning during my gym workouts. I've used this for a week now and it is a really nice little tool. It tells me the time elapsed in the workout, my current heart rate and calories burnt so far. I dont pay too much attention to the "fat burning zone" as I do some high intensity workouts which are meant to get my heartrate going so I am mostly over the zone during those, but it is still interesting to know what my heartrate is doing with which exercises. Good value for money and it does what it needs to do! At the end it shows a summary of the workout i.e time, calories burnt. And it saves the workouts so I can see them later if I need to. Definitely recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!!!!!, 11 Jun 2014
I have wanted the FT4 Polar for over a year now and finally managed to save up and purchase it.

I was very excited when my package arrived and couldn't wait to try it out. It is easy to set up and use. I am a PT and Group Fitness Instructor so i think it will be very useful to calculate HR and calories burnt throughout different workouts. I like that it looks trendy too. I was concerned you would be able to see the strap or it would be uncomfortable but its not and you cant even notice I'm wearing it (i don't think)

The only thing i would say is the watch feels a bit cheaper and less sturdy than i was expecting. I have only used this 3 times now. Once in the gym doing a weights workout, once doing a cardio workout and once teaching spin and it has been a success so far.

One other thing, the picture makes it look more of a purple colour but its actually more pink.

I would recommend this product to anyone who wants to keep track of there workouts and calories burnt.

Yay :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars The watch arrived not working with the strap provided, I then had to go and buy a new strap, 26 July 2013
Ms. Claire Weir (Edinburgh, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Polar Ft4, 11 Mar 2014
I bought this HRM a few months ago after doing a lot of research and getting some recommendations from people, and I'm so happy I did! Its simple to use, tells me all the things I want or need to know and is like my new gym buddy. It makes me feel motivated and push myself a little bit harder. Would definitely recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars As described, 8 Oct 2012
Bought this to confirm calories used through exercise. Ideal and easy to set up and use. Would probably upgrade if I was buying again but this is gives enough feedback for my needs at the moment. Overall really pleased with this.