Published on 25 July 2011 by P

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch keeps stopping in use
I was very pleased with the deliver an look of this product but the watch stops for long periods of time when in use with a message saying "check heart rate" and I don't know what the problem is as I am using as per the instructions. It does have all the functionality described and a nice looking watch.
Published 9 months ago by Waggy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great basic heart rate monitor without the bells and whistles, 25 July 2011
P (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a great HR monitor for the price. It obviously tells you your heart rate, but also tells you if you're training in the fat burning zone. This is a huge advantage to somebody like me who does cardio like running and skipping as it can tell you if you're pushing too hard or not hard enough. I now realise that for about 6 months I've been pushing too hard in the running and have actually been elevating my heart rate above the optimal needed for fat burning.

The sensor strap that comes with it, which you wear around your chest to monitor the actual heart rate (which then sends a signal to the watch) is comfortable and hasn't rubbed or irritated my skin at all. You do have to wet the sensors before putting it on and my advice is to use lukewarm water, because cold water can obviously be a little too cold when you first attach the strap.

What it does:

1) Tells you if you're in the target fat burning zone (the most useful info of the lot in my opinion).

2) Tells you how many calories you've burnt.

3) Tells you how long your exercise lasted for and how much of that time was spent in the fat burning zone.

4) It gives you a maximum heart rate for training period, as well as an average.

5) It also tells you the time of day.

What it doesn't do:

1) It doesn't tell you the distance you've covered.

2) It doesn't come with software that you can use to sync your results to your computer. However, you can go to the Polar training website and input your results manually, which is what I do; and you'll still get a record and chart of your results over a period of time.

So, a pretty good HR monitor and cheap considering the features you get. It's simple to use and takes 2 minutes when you first use it to input some basic details about yourself including age, weight and height. For this price I can live without fancy software to sync up with the computer; I don't mind manually entering my data results onto the Polar website. I can also live without features such as backlit watch face or dive-resistance. It would've been nice to have had results for distance covered; but I guess you can't have everything at this price level. You can always easily figure out how far you've run yourself anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch keeps stopping in use, 8 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing amaaaazing, 3 Feb. 2015
I would just like to say I am writing this after using ONCE! It could break or stop working and in that case I will change my review.

But I love this!! It is such a good little watch and heart rate monitor! It tells you when your heart rate has gone too high or too low! It tells you how long you have been working out for and the calories you have burnt! It also works as a simple watch to tell the time and can even be set as an alarm. It has a glow in the dark feature too!

The instructions are a little confusing but I stuck at them! It took me a while to figure out the strap but for best results I tightened and fastened it under my boobs as I have big boobs and tbh putting the strap over them like what I had read online was just not an option for me.
You have to wetten the sensor strap first thpugh.
But all in all VERY good little product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a competition with yourself!!, 12 Aug. 2014
Excellent product!! Been using this for a few weeks and have found it really useful in all of my workouts as I now use it to beat my targets and help me best understand where my heart rate needs to be! It's comfy to wear and the strap is very discreet under the hem of my sportsbra, the watch is a pretty colour and doesn't get in the way, I don't wear any other jewellery whilst working out. I have recommended this product to my friends and have 3 of them wearing it now and we always compare our workout summaries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 April 2013
Love it! Don't notice the strap. Watch is a great size! Motivates me to push harder in my work outs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Polar Ft4, 11 Mar. 2014
I bought this HRM a few months ago after doing a lot of research and getting some recommendations from people, and I'm so happy I did! Its simple to use, tells me all the things I want or need to know and is like my new gym buddy. It makes me feel motivated and push myself a little bit harder. Would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great, 13 April 2013
book_thief (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
I used this heart monitor for the first time today and wanted to write a review about it so more people know how great this product is. There are so many heart monitors on the market and most of them extremely expensive, however I find that this little gem at a little more than £50 is all I need and want from a heart monitor.

I bought the brown one which looks great in the picture but not so much in reality; it's basically a washed out brown colour but this doesn't bother me so I didn't mark it down.

It's easy to set up (google FT4 manual and follow instructions; the actual product only comes with basic set up instructions)- input your weight/ height/ dob etc press start and off you go.

You can toggle between 3 screens whilst working out: zone screen which tells you whether you are in the fitness zone as well as your bpm, time and calories burnt and finally bpm only. I use the first screen throughout the workout and then toggle between screens at the end to see how long I spent "in the zone" and how many calories I burnt. Genius.

My fitness zone is between 125 and 150 (the watch works this out from the info you provided when setting up) but you can change this manually if you wish. For example, if I was doing target training and was interested in keeping my heart rate around 135-140 which is my ideal fat burning zone, I can set the zone to 130-145 manually.

At the end; it will tell you what you average heart rate was throughout (mine was 135 which is my ideal fat burning rate- hooray!) and also tells you what the maximum heart rate was at some point during the workout.

For those who don't know how to work out your optimal far burning zone you can do it by working out your maximum heart rate first and use this to get your fat burning zone which is about 60-70% of your maximum heart rate.
Here goes:

220 - your age. So if you are 40, your maximum heart rate is 180. So your optimal fat burning zone is 110- 130 bpm heart rate which is 60-70% of 180. Some articles also state that its 50-60% percent rather than 60-70% but I prefer to stick with the higher rate.

This watch is an excellent piece of kit for a fraction of the cost you would pay for others like this on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful and links to all the machines at the gym ..., 20 Feb. 2015
very useful and links to all the machines at the gym so no need to hold on to sensors. Even wore it for golf to check on calories burnt.

on the downside, it does not link to Ipad so my personal trainer cannot produce the charts that his version of the heart rate monitor links to.

And the calories burnt are much lower than the data I was using from myfitnesspal.com so I have to input data manually.

3.0 out of 5 stars The watch arrived not working with the strap provided, I then had to go and buy a new strap, 26 July 2013
Ms. Claire Weir (Edinburgh, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
The watch is great, does all I want for the gym, however it did not work with the strap it came with, I had to go and buy a new strap after paying for this one

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 30 Jan. 2015
I have been using this for quite some time now and I absolutely love it. It's perfect for monitoring your heart rate and makes a little beeping sound when you are too high or too low. Also makes you feel great when you realise how many calories you have burned. Would highly recommend!