5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting biography of this extraordinary man of faith!
Published on 16 Mar. 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars static
Published on 29 May 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting biography of this extraordinary man of faith!, 16 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
I have read this book twice, and each time have learned so much about Martin Luther, the leader of the Protestant Reformation and man of great faith. Luther tells the story of the Ninety-Five Theses and Luther's appearance before the Diet of Worms more like it is a novel and not a biography. The biography is filled with the great words of this great man. "I cannot...I will not recant...Here I Stand. I can do no more. God save me!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, 23 Nov. 2012
This book is very informative and an absolute joy to read. The author has left no stone unturned and does not try to fill pages with babble. However, i did find that "best bits" where within the first quarter of the book. After this Martin Luther has already done the diet of worms and stood his ground against his most vicious opposers. The rest is where Martin went from there. But don't let that put you off. This is, after all, a biography of the man, not just his famous debate.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of many Martin Luther biographies, 4 Nov. 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I am reviewing the 1950, Mentor Books Fifteenth Printing.
This book is well laid out. Much of the material is in lecture form. There are twenty-two content headings, 12 page Bibliography, References, Source of Illustrations, and comprehensive Index. The illustrations are just that monochrome sketches.
Roland H. Bainton received an A.B. degree from Whitman College, and B.D. and Ph.D. degrees form Yale University and form Oberlin College, Dr. Theological Seminary and from Oberlin College. He is a Specialist in Reformation history.

There are many biography and reference books on Martin Luther, each with its own strength s and weaknesses. This one by Roland H. Bainton is pretty comprehensive and goes into more depth than most. Do not get out your highlighter or you will highlight every page.

This is the story of a religious leader who is well known for leading the Protestant Reformation. "I cannot...I will not...Recant! Here I Stand."

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly engaging, 16 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
I found an old copy of this among my sister's college books. I suspected that I would read a chapter and then toss it aside, but found myself thoroughly engrossed in the world of Martin Luther and the Reformation.
This book is really more of an essay than a critical history. Still, it is a wonderful introduction to an important chapter in Western history.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, I read the book twice, 3 Oct. 2010
rossuk (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I think I probably read this book first 35 years ago, I have read it once more since then, I should probably read it again. It shows his battle for conversion and his fight with the established church, leading to the reformation. The best bit is when he marries a nun. It is the sort of book you can reread every ten years. I would highly recommend this book.

I enjoy, Christian biographies, they tell us that we are not alone, in our struggles, against our current culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Here I Stand - A Life Of Martin Luther (Kindle Edition)
This is the best account I have ever read of Martin Luther I have ever read. Not only is it extremely informative covering all aspects of Luther's life, it is a very enjoyable read.

2.0 out of 5 stars static, 29 May 1999
By A Customer
I felt that this bio engauge to much in the theology and not enough in a narrative of action. Luther lead a dangerous and exciting life both mentally and consequently physically. I never sensed the danger in this book, and the theology could be over bearing and cumbersome. A better bio is by J.H. Merle D'Aubigne--The life and Times of Martin Luther. There you hear more of the debates from the participants' mouths and follow more closely Luther's journey--it is exciting--as it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 9 Sept. 2014
Excellent book. As a Lutheran, I am extremely interested in the life of Martin Luther. The book is well written and holds the reader's interest, the author brings history to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Book, 11 Jan. 2014
The book was fascinating, informative, very readable, and good value for money.
I recommend it to \anyone exploring the differences between Catholicism and Lutheranism.

5.0 out of 5 stars here i stand, 26 Jun. 2012
enjoyed reading the book, would reccommend it to anyone wishing to learn about Martin Luther, Bainton gives us a classic description of the times and is a worthy read

Here I Stand - A Life Of Martin Luther