4.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs 20280 Colour Control Iron

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent iron, despite lead
Published 5 months ago by Anon

4.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs 20280 Colour Control Iron, 15 Aug 2013
G. Archer (Bangor, NI) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 20280 Colour Control Iron - 2400 watts - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Russell Hobbs 20280 Colour Control Iron is a sturdy, well-made steam iron with a ceramic soleplate and easy to understand colour coded temperature indicator. Supplied with a measuring jug and good set of instructions, blue is the coolest temperature, green is for nylons/polyester, yellow for wool/polyester mixes, purple for cotton/denim and red is the maximum temperature. The iron has a 300ml water tank but can be used with or without the steam function. It heats up quickly, is light and easy to manoeuvre and the steam shot works well. If left unattended and unused for a period of time it automatically shuts off which is a smart, and useful, safety feature. There is also a self clean button which the manufacturer recommends be used monthly in normal water areas or more frequently in harder water areas.
All in all I have been delighted with this product which replaced my rather elderly and much used previous Russell Hobbs iron. With a 2 year warranty, it is easy to set and use and I am very happy with the results. My only gripe, and I have deducted 1 star for this, is that I would have liked the cord to have been slightly longer but I have resolved the issue by using an extension cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic iron, just wish the power cord was longer, 13 Aug 2013
R. Johnson "r_johnson194" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this iron a lot. It feels sturdy, glides over clothes with ease and heats up quickly.

The colour coded heat indicator is a nice touch too and pretty intuitive (the warmer the colour the warmer the iron).

The iron heats up nice and quickly, and even though using the steam shot will drop the temperature, it will re-heat itself quickly so no hanging around waiting for it to get back to the right temperature for too long.

The steam shot works well and is powerful enough and the spray is good - a fine and consistent mist.

Only 2 issues, firstly the power cord is quite a bit shorter than my last iron which makes ironing the bed sheets a bit or a pain.

Secondly, a minor minor issue is that I feel the steam and spray buttons are the wrong way round. This may just be because I'm used to a different iron, but I've been pressing spray when I wanted steam consistently since I've had this iron.

Pros:
+ Glides over clothes easily
+ Powerful steam shot
+ water spray is nice
+ Doesn't leave any limescale marks on clothes (I guess the self cleaning feature works)

Cons:
- power cord is a little short

Overall: Great iron. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars If NASA Used Irons, 21 Aug 2013
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This "Russell Hobbs 20280 Colour Control Iron" has many features that should catch your eye especially with the current market price of less than thirty pounds.

Highlights include a colour change temperature indicator, ceramic soleplate, 2400 watt output, vertical steaming and advanced self cleaning functions.

The iron comes with a good and clear instruction book detailing everything you could want to know including the correct method of cleaning it. When in use the iron is very quick to warm up but the instruction book does suggest not refilling the iron when it is switched on (to prevent an air trap). Using is as easy and plugging it in and getting set on that ironing pile. It holds it's temperature well however is rather thirsty when held to other irons I've used in the past.

One of the more unusual features (the colour change temperature indicator) may seem like a flashy gimmick, however it's actually a very useful tool to see at a glance how hot your iron is and is very quick to change colour as the temperature increases or decreases.

It did take a good five minutes during its first use for the iron to preform the way it should and produce the powerful bursts of steam that you will come to love. However when it was properly broken it, it is able to glide over clothes very easily and very efficiently. This iron will save you a lot of time as creases stand no chance against the output, design and plate here.

The electric cable is slightly short for my liking. It's only four or five inches shorter than my previous iron but those inches make a difference. This is still a minor fault as you can easily fix this by moving the ironing board closer to the electrical socket or using an extension cable (just remember not to overload it.)

I find that the "red" settings which are the hottest the iron can produce is actually too hot for most materials, this is the only time where the plate "catches" the fabric. The "purple" setting is ideal and hot enough to smooth out creases easily #more sensitive materials will require a cooler setting#

Overall an almost unbeatable and near flawless iron that offers great value for money. It's well worth considering for your short list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 13 Aug 2013
Johnnybluetime - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We really like this iron.At first glance it looks like the kind of thing you could send a mouse to the moon in,but it's actually dead easy to use,heats up very quickly,in seconds rather than minutes,and does a good job on both dry and steam settings.At first the different coloured lights and two kinds of steam setting seemed a bit too complicated,but it's actually a doddle to get the hang of and I like the idea of the different colour lights informing you what heat setting you're on.It's quite big too,almost double the ironing surface of our old one,but it's well designed and has no problem dealing with sleeves,cuffs and collars and the fiddly bits on some of my wife's blouses.There is one downside and that's the cord,which is a good eighteen inches shorter than on our old iron and I'd say a good eighteen inches too short for most people's convenience.It's not the end of the world,we just move the ironing board closer to the wall socket,but if you're not able to do that this might be an issue.Otherwise it's great and does everything you could want from a steam iron.Oh,and it switches itself off if left unused,which is great for peace of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Iron, 25 May 2014
Mr. E. Watson (uk) - See all my reviews
Great product at a very good price,you get what you pay for and this is it,easy and light to handle,the changing lights keep the geandkids amused when Grandma is ironing.Fast delivery well before time estimated,packaged well

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 18 Jan 2014
A nice, lightweight iron that glides well over the tonnes of washing I have to do! Would not have paid the full price if it hadn't been on offer though! The coloured lights are just a gimmick and have no impact on any function! Overall a great iron though :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent iron, despite lead, 4 April 2014
This iron is not too heavy, looks good and heats up very quickly. The coloured lights make it easy at first glance to tell the temperature. The disadvantage (quite a big one) is that the base of the lead tends to get in the way and the lead is not really long enough. The steam button is right next to the spray button so a little awkward to reach (exercise caution in using the steam button and stand back -I nearly burned myself the first time I used this as steam comes out in a powerful burst out the sides!). On the whole, this is a very effective iron and I am getting used to it, just wish more thought had gone into the lead.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's an iron.....but a pretty decent one!, 3 Sep 2013
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Iron has lots of good points;

- A large water tank that's easy to fill
- Switches itself automatically off should you accidentally leave it plugged in
-Steam Shot and Vertical Steam settings
-Self Clean Function

I've been using it for about a month now and have to admit to being pretty impressed, it's slightly heavier than my previous iron but it's easy to manoeuvre and glides well. It heats up quickly and makes light work of creases, the large handle base makes it quite stable when stood on its end.

The iron itself is a nice weight and seems to work well enough, the colour display really is useful when changing the heat setting as the colour flashes until it reaches the correct heat, great when changing to a lower setting as I no longer end up with sticky stuff all over my iron and ruined clothes.
The only negative point (there's always one), the cord could be longer!

It's easy to use, works as an iron should and has got all the functions I could possibly need.

3.0 out of 5 stars Russel Hobbs 20280 Steam Iron., 28 July 2014
.This steam iron was bought as a "budget buy" item,. to replace an antiquated iron I was given a couple of years ago. Never having been shopping for an iron before, I took care to read the reviews before making my choice. This iron had some poor reports, but also some very good reports, which, together with the price, helped me make my decision.
So, down to the nitty gritty; It is quite a big iron, at least, compared to the old one I had. Hence I have had to get used to the increased weight and size. When using the steam facility, it seems to get through the water in the tank quite quickly. Or else, I am just a slow iron-er! Probably a bit of each.
Pure cotton fabrics need abit of work to smooth out, but no major worries.
If I had to buy an iron now, would I still choose this one? Probably not. I'd spend a little more, and buy something a little more compact. But, as mentioned previously, no major worries.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed and frustrated, 9 July 2014
I give this iron 1 star not because the iron itself is poor but the cord is far too short and makes ironing very difficult. I have been so disappointed in this that I am thinking of buying yet another iron!!!!

I have to iron as close to the wall as possible to allow the iron to reach the end of the ironing board, which is totally impractical. it just makes me so frustrated every time I have to use it. I would never buy this product again for this point alone.