4.0 out of 5 stars worth £20
Got this as a black Friday deal so this review is based on that and more importantly the £20 price point.

Published 9 months ago by A. Elliott

3.0 out of 5 stars And you thought choosing a kettle would be easy?
I'm sure many people reading this will be the same ... we do love a cup of tea, but mistakenly thought choosing a kettle would be easy! Beyond simply turning cold water into hot water, there seem to be a number of areas where kettles differ, in terms of price and features, so here are my thoughts on the Russell Hobbs:

+ Boils a cup very quickly. I think it's 40...
Published 7 months ago by Stevie B

4.0 out of 5 stars worth £20, 7 Dec 2013
A. Elliott - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19980 Easy Kettle - 1.7 Litre - Black (Kitchen & Home)

As a kettle it does the job perfectly, its fast to boil, quiet to boil, it's light to lift when full and pours perfectly. Its not offensive to look at either, I read reviews criticising the chrome base, I don't agree it looks odd, it's fine, although I would be slightly disappointed if I'd paid full price as I think it could be better, why not a mat black base?

Moving on to the measuring thing inside, it's a waste of time, I don't use it and using it means you need to take the basin from the sink to hold the kettle level to get the measure, it's much easier to use the water level gauge.

The on off switch is illuminated when pressed, for full price I would expect the water level to be illuminated as well. How much is it for an led ? seriously Russell Hobbs and all other manufacturers, this should be standard on ALL kettles regardless of price point.

Now to the wobble , I see it but I don't.....its never going to fall over, become detached or anything else, if you rock it back and forward on the base it has a bit of give, it's not dangerous or insecure and will never ever fall off the base while boiling, in fact you'd need to hold it and pull it hard to detach it. The same can be said for expensive kettles, they may feel as though they're snug in the base but give them a good yank and they'd fall over.

At £20 this was a steal, people spend more on a curry on a Saturday night for goodness sake, but should you buy it at the RRP? I'd probably say no, I don't believe you'd get a faster or quieter boiler but your into a different price bracket and there are alternatives that offer more useful features and more aesthetically pleasing.

3.0 out of 5 stars And you thought choosing a kettle would be easy?, 11 Feb 2014

+ Boils a cup very quickly. I think it's 40 odd seconds for a single cup, so extremely efficient when it comes to power (and your time, if you find waiting longer than 40 seconds for boiling water a bit much).
+ Looks decent. There are some very stylish kettles of course, but at this price, it's not bad.
+ It's easy to read the level both when filling the kettle and when its standing.

However, there's a double-edged sword with this one. To fill the kettle, you first have to take off its lid (no button for this) and under the lid is effectively a sealed bowl; you fill this section up and then press a button on the handle and the water flows from the bowl into the main compartment of the kettle. The bowl part, I believe, is designed as a baby's bottle warmer. As the bowl is marked up the side with measurements in mls and cups it can be useful when cooking, however, having to take the lid off, pop it somewhere, fill from the tap - while holding the button to release the water into the main part of the kettle - then pop the lid back on before boiling ... well, yes this is very much a rubbishy first world problem, but it does just add an extra bit of faff to a pretty basic activity. Our last kettle, the Kenwood KMix you could take to the tap, flip open the lid with one button, close and start boiling all in a pretty swift ballet ... however, while that kettle lasted us a few years it seems many people find them unreliable and can break easily so we went for something new, hence the Russell Hobbs, which seems to be pretty reliable by all accounts.

Decisions decisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopper is great when used correctly, 17 Jan 2014
Read all the reviews and noticed that people are not using the hopper correctly. If you require more than one cup or 1.7L ,then you do not need to remove the hopper. All you do is hold it under the tap and press the button to open the flap and fill to the desired amount, simple. This is less effort than removing a lid, what could be easier. The only reason to remove the hopper is to either clean inside the kettle or wash the hopper. Also the hopper cover is only a dust cover for the hopper and does not need to be replaced each time you use the kettle. So conclusion is this kettle makes it easy to make one cupa at a glance and fill larger amounts to your hearts desire, with the press of a button. Without the hopper the steam switch will not turn off the kettle, rang Russell Hobbs and they explained this. Great simple idea works well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, disappointed, 20 May 2014
I loved this kettle when it arrived. You can fill just the amount needed to boil, thereby saving electricity (think green). Sadly the grey plastic measurer in the lid has not lasted well, and now will not filter the water into the kettle effectively (or barely at all) and in addition, the lid has become lose within the grey water measurer so falls out when you pour the water. Lastly, if you have arthritis or another hand condition, the black button to release the water down into the body of the kettle is quite hard work on the thumb. So although it looks great and boils quickly I would sadly, not recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars This kettle is dangerous, 12 April 2014
Bought this kettle for an elderly relative because it was a Which? Best Buy and was good for hard water which he has. When we got it we noticed there was a little cup thing in the top so you could boil just a cup of water for economy. As we didn't need this we took it out, put the lid back on and boiled the water. When we went to pour out the water the lid shot off. I managed to jump out of the way but the 80 year old man who I had bought it for would not have had such fast reactions and could have been scalded by the boiling water. I discovered that the lid only fits securely if the cup is left in, although it sits in ok without it so you think it is ok. This means you have to leave the cup in so cannot fill the kettle from the top if you want more than a cupful you have to fill it through the spout which isn't very wide.
NOWHERE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS COULD WE FIND A WARNING TO INSERT THE CUP AT ALL TIMES

4.0 out of 5 stars Very efficient, 27 Dec 2013
I didn't like its appearance at first and there are less bulky looking kettles out there which would win a beauty contest. However I decided to keep this because it is so fast boiling and extremely cost saving. Now I am really glad I did: I can make a cuppa in seconds and it is so easy to fill and extremely lightweight.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kettle Catastrophe, 23 April 2014
My wife bought this kettle because it was a Which? Best Buy. We sent it back without using it as it was VERY unstable on its base and, if you took the internal water measuring hopper out (as suggested by Which?) the lid simply fell off when you tipped the kettle. My wife then checked the user comments on the Which? website and discovered that nearly all of them said this kettle was useless bordering on dangerous. We told the CEO at Which? about this and although they amended their comments (it now tells you to keep the hopper in to keep the lid on) they are still rating it a Best Buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent kettle, 2 Feb 2014
I very rarely write reviews for on-line shopping, and when i do it is usually because I am extremely disappointed. In this case, however, I am writing to counter some of the more negative reviews I have read on Amazon about this kettle. I absolutely love it. Visually, it's a little cranky-looking but since it sets next to (and matches) matches a chrome and black espresso machine it is perfect. It is not easily toppled over even with 2-3 cups filled. It is quite and fast and I find the hopper helpful in terms of disciplining myself not to add half a kettle to make one mug or pot of tea. As another review noted: if you want to fill the kettle full then just take off the lid and fill through the hopper while holding down the button (i.e., it just drains through). I have just bought a second model for a spare or when we have a party requiring lots of tea/coffee at the end. And with Russell Hobbs I am extremely confident that the kettle will be reliable and that I will be able to get service department care if necessary.

3.0 out of 5 stars A lemon from a usually reliable brand, 28 Nov 2013
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is a kettle with a removable filling hopper with its own lid that measures up to 1 cup or 250ml and a release button on the handle to allow the hopper's contents to be emptied. Using this feature allows fast boiling of a fairly accurate volume for a recipe, a baby's bottle or a hot drink. If you use mugs, you may have to guestimate by filling and part re-filling the hopper. It also features along two sides a translucent guage graduated in cups but only for the even numbers up to six, which is also almost its maximum capacity. There isn't an alternative with one of the guages showing metric volume but if you consider that a cup is usually considered to equate to 240 or 250ml, you may be better able to assess the required volume.

Although the kettle is all black, the base oddly has a mostly chromed finish and appears not to match. The on-off switch below the handle illuminates blue when on and connected to power.

The kettle is well-balanced when about half-filled and pours easily without dripping. There is a filter within, normally hidden behind and below the hopper which becomes accessible for cleaning when the hopper is removed. The manufacturers recommend that the kettle is descaled regularly, at least at monthly intervals, but this may be a less-needed task in those areas with very soft water and probably more often where the water is especially hard (London and the South-East, generally).

Its capacity is a fairly standard 1.7 litres and is very fast to boil, especially with smaller quantities.

Bought via Amazon's Black Friday deals, it came at a very advantageous price.

POSTSCRIPT
After a week or two of use, the filling system became a severe nuisance as the minimum quantity of water normally boiled is around three and a half cups, sufficient for two large mugs, requires repeatedly filling and emptying the hopper. After once or twice when it was almost a novelty, the lid and hopper were removed every time and the open kettle filled using the side guages to judge volume. It was also faster to remove both parts when using the full capacity and fill without them on those few instances when I needed that much boiling water. I subsequently decided that if I was doing that several times daily, this was not the kettle for me. I therefore decided to return and replace it.

For those living alone or not using more than a cupful or two most of the time, it will probably suit very well. For anyone else, it is probably less than ideal.

1.0 out of 5 stars kettle, 24 April 2014
This is a lovely kettle to look at but sadly we had to send it back as the water tastes awful no matter how many times we tried it there is some sort of malfunction with the plastic in it and it is not fit for purpose

Russell Hobbs 19980 Easy Kettle - 1.7 Litre - Black