5.0 out of 5 stars New to Windows 8?
I am no expert on computers,I have a basic to intermediate understanding of computers. So I was kind of uncertain when buying this laptop, given it is a window 8 (totally new layout) and touch screen too.

Published 15 months ago by nightmare

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice hardware, bad software...
Published 6 months ago by John

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars New to Windows 8?, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire V5-571P 15.6-inch Touchscreen Laptop (Silver) - (Intel Core i7 3537U 2GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)

If you are afraid that you might find it difficult to understand or grasp the concept of Windows 8, DON'T BE. After having this laptop for nearly 2 weeks, it run very smoothly. The Windows 8 layout is a little difficult to get your head around at first, because everything is new and not in your standard place (ie: no start button on your homepage). But then again most things are a bit difficult at the start.

After fiddling around for a couple of days I started getting the hang of things, and the changes made to Windows makes sense. I did see the V7 (upgraded version of this laptop V5) without the touchscreen. I'd definitely recommend that you buy a laptop that IS TOUCHSCREEN if it has Windows 8, simply because the layout aids touchscreen use.

The only two minor negatives you could say about this laptop is the overly sensitive mouse pad, its super sensitive! But I tend to use a mixed technique when navigating through the laptop, using both the touchscreen and mouse. The laptop comes with a ton of unnecessary apps, but it will take about an hour tops to uninstall those apps.

Hope this helps!
Overall, really enjoyed the change to Windows 8.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall very good., 30 Nov 2013
We got this largely because of the touch screen function.
This aspect of the laptop works very well - although it takes a bit of cleaning with a microfibre cloth to keep it in tip-top condition.
The machine runs well & we have had no problems with it.
Some minor glitches prevent it having 5 stars:
Firstly, there is no DVD player. Now, in fairness, I should have checked the specs more carefully, but I just assumed that all machines these days had a DVD player. This one doesn't.
Secondly, the mouse pad has no separate bits for clicking- it's all one large pad. This, I feel, is a design flaw as it means the pointer slides around the screen when you try to click. Rather irritating. You do get used to it, but really someone in the design team ought to have thought it through a bit better.
If you can live with these minor flaws then you'll be very happy with your purchase. It is a very good machine for a decent price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice hardware, bad software..., 5 Jun 2014
The champagne gold looks nice and I've not found any hardware issues, it's living up to my expectations in that regard. However, Windows 8 sucks. As well as trying to find out where the programs menu was, and seemingly there wasn't one, it took me some time to get to a desktop. I won't continue to bitch about how crap Windows 8 is, but it really does detract from an otherwise nice machine. I did not like all the Acer programs which came pre-installed. Literally everything was 'online'. Frankly, I'm interested enough in my privacy to have all my stuff off-line. So, I uninstalled all the Acer software. McAfee kept nagging me to back up my stuff online. I could not find out how to configure it so I uninstalled that too. The touch screen works nicely but it is a bit of a waste because I cannot see the point of stretching over a keyboard to use it. The keyboard is excellent and the back light is a nice touch. The mouse can be a bit of a pain if you use two fingers, you can accidentally resize everything. Also, swiping the right hand edge brings in a menu which is probably the most irritating thing because you were just trying to move the mouse and nothing else. Oh, the mouse DOES right-click, but I had to google to find out how! I was disappointed that it did not have a DVD player, but I think that was my mistake. It took me some time to find the BIOS menu too. I shall be installing Linux on it shortly - then the fun will start!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service and product, 5 Sep 2013
Arrived promptly as expected and works straight out the box no problem. Very fast laptop and touch screen makes Windows 8 very usable. Would recommend to others

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 1 Oct 2013
I looked at dozens of 15.6 inch laptops, and liked the look/touch of the Acer Aspire. It does what it claims, is fast, and I enjoy using Windows 8 (I don't understand the negative comments some users have made). The backlit keyboard is a nice touch.

After only one month, I can honestly say that I cannot think of any additions/improvements that I would want. I'm not into gaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning, 5 Jun 2013
Charles Wells "Lord Giveth" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Nothing else comes close at this price, Core i5, 6GB RAM and a touchscreen. The laptop is superslim considering it also has a DVD drive although it is not so light to carry. It suits me just fine as I upgrade to a new laptop every three years as there can be a lot of improvements/changes in that period, so I aim to spend about £500 each time on whatever is the best buy for that price. For example I wanted to buy a laptop with a DVD/CD drive although I expect in three years time that won't be so important. However if you want a lighter laptop and a sharper screen then this Acer is not for you, and if you are happy to pay more for those features then look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great touch screen, 28 Jun 2013
Very good deal, great Acer product. Lightweight laptop, although the i7 3537U processor is not nearly as fast as the quad-core i7 processors, and this could really have done with dedicated graphics, rather than the Intel 4000 integrated it comes with. Please note you will not be able to do much gaming with this graphics card, and you cannot upgrade the graphics card later - Great buy if you are not planning to do any gaming.

Touch screen is great for Win 8 - works like a 'charm'!

1.0 out of 5 stars Exceedingly disappointing laptop with considerable problems., 13 July 2014
This laptop was supplied with out of date software and frequently locked up and could only be used by switching off and restarting. To enable it to work at a reasonable level of performance. The bios, and graphics processor had to be updated and windows updated to 8.1 in all this took several hours and had to use another computer to download data as the Acer would lock up before any download could complete. I returned the first Acer as unfit for purpose and asked for a replacement of the same model as I thought initially the problem might be specific to that computer, but as you can see the second laptop had the same problems.

I recommend that you avoid this model.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does most things BUT, 24 Jun 2014
The laptop does all I want of it but, there is no indication of when you are in lower case or upper case. This may just be an inconvenience for word processing, but it is a bigger problem when trying to enter passwords. This is a design fault, which I feel the buyer should be told about prior to purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product at a great price, 2 Oct 2013
Well specced, powerful laptop, with a touch screen, at a very good price. Battery life is poor, but if using largely on mains adapter, as we do, then a very good machine - provided you can get on with Windows 8

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›