on 19 August 2013
I've had this laptop for almost two weeks now and I can say it truly is the best purchase I've ever made on Amazon. The build quality is excellent and it is a very aesthetically pleasing. The specs on this laptop are excellent for the price; I have several resource hungry applications and Windows 7 running as virtual machine and everything is running smoothly.

As for people complaining about Windows 8 being pre-installed; you can upgrade to Windows 8.1, install Start8 ([...] to replicate the Windows 7 start menu, and change the settings to boot directly into Desktop mode rather than the Metro UI. After this Windows 8 will look / act almost identical to 7.
on 29 June 2013
Laptop is awesome, very fast and does everything I need it to do with ease. I would say however that Windows 8 has taken longer to get used to than any other operating system I have ever used before.
on 4 August 2013
old laptop no longer working so this was a one of the cheapest replacements I could find with the 17.3 inch screen I was after. Looks smart and does the job. The only problem is that it runs window 8 which I am not a fan of but not much I can do about that.

product arrived quickly and in good shape
on 9 June 2013
I have had this laptop for a few weeks.

First the positive points: it works well, the keyboard is easy to use, the screen is clear (although very shiney, so no good in sunlight), it remains cool after extensive use, although not something you would want lug around with you everyday, it is portable if you don't need to carry it too far. Sound is reasonable, hdd web cam is very good and high def works well. Mic. ok with no feedback when using Skype etc. Good at coping with several programmes open at once and several pages open on browser. Overall, I'm very happy with this acer, I would say it is good value for money and it does what I need it to do.

It only gets 4 because there are.....

Issues: As others have said elsewhere, the construction is not overly robust and the screen is scarily bendy - noticeable when you open it up (as compared with my previous laptop - an HP dv 9500ea ,which blew up but, felt like it was made of iron!). The exterior plastic is very shiney and already, despite my best efforts to keep it clean, has several surface marks. The battery is not great - lasts about 2 hrs. No backlit keyboard, so not so easy to see in dim light. There are an awful lot of unnecessary pre loaded programmes that I am gradually removing.

The biggest pain is Windows 8! Yes, you can work around it, but it does kick-in all the time with unhelpful icons popping up! Hopefully, this will be sorted by Microsoft in mid-June 2013, when they release an updated version. Win 8 on an ordinary non-touch sensitive laptop, like this one, is about as helpful as a petrol tank on a pedal bike! Hope that helps.
on 9 October 2013
So I got this laptop direct from amazon for 860, I've noticed it's not only available from external seller so looks like I got lucky but I think the fact they had 10 when I ordered and then by the next morning some 12 hours later they had sold out, which rather says it all I think about the specifications atleast. Obviously pretty fast and can play any modern games you want, haven't experienced alot of heat when I was playing Crysis 2 the other day although I wasn't on it for long and I had it on a flat surface which is probably a good idea for playing games. I have a gaming desktop so I really only brought this for the speed and the fact I can play the odd game when I'm out of the house. The only drawback is that the touch pad is one of those ones without visible left and right clicks so therefore you have to press rather hard on the corners of the touch pad however I have brought a mouse and it seems to respond alot better which means it is basically just the pad that's the problem not the machine itself. Windows 8 leaves much to be desired however remember it's the laptop your buying not the OS! You can change it. Overall I'd say well worth while purchase however the external prizes are now around 1000+ so might be an idea to wait until Amazon get them back in stock if they're getting them back in.
on 10 August 2013
Don't bother buying anything from acer. I had my v3 for a year and it quite literally just died, I looked after it extremely well and one day it just wouldn't turn on.
Keep getting the 'no bootbale device' error I have removed and reinstalled the HDD and still nothing works. Plus the build quality is appalling. They didn't even put the acer logo on straight.
on 13 September 2013
Very fast laptop. It really met my needs from doing work and then using it for gaming. Should serve me well.
on 10 September 2013
This laptop is soo amazing it can run games fine with no lag or any problem .. plus the specs of this laptop is powerful however the only downside about it is the battery life it don't last long that especially when you play games.
on 31 July 2013
This laptop is a good spec and met all of my requirements bar ONE! It took me a whole week to discover that it has "secure bios" which prevents installing another partition with Linux for dual boot. This isn't Acer's fault I imagine, but is a feature of the Windows 8 OS, which though designed for security purposes is a pig to overcome. The machine should come with a "health warning" to tell you this so you can either learn how to overcome being unable to change the boot order, or choose a Windows 7 machine instead.
on 19 October 2013
Lovely looking machine. Mine cost £450 and apart from an initial problem with internet connection dropping(remedied by downloading latest drivers)all seems to be working fine.

Now what is the problem with Windows 8? If i'd believed everything i'd read I would never have bought a new laptop as they all have it installed.Yet after about 1 hour I have it sussed(and I bought this machine as a 60th birthday present for myself!). I really cannot find a problem with it.Yes it looks different but that's because it is but it's not THAT different for Gawds sake.Press the Win Button + D and you have your familiar desktop.What the heck are you people doing on your computers that makes this new OS so difficult.Or is it,as I suspect,that people just don't like change.