5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT !!!
Published 11 months ago by Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent monitor for the price - but not without some niggles
Let me start off by saying that for the price, this monitor is very good and should satisfy most.

However, there were a couple of issues that I should mention. Firstly, out of the box, the settings on this monitor are terrible - so much so that I thought there was something wrong with it and I was contemplating sending it back. The fonts on small text were...
Published 10 months ago by Unshou

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT !!!, 21 Feb. 2014
Mike (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: BenQ RL2455HM LED 24 -inch W Gaming Monitor 1920 x 1080, 1000:1, 12M:1, 1 ms GTG, DVI/HDMI x 2/speakers - Black/Red (Accessory)
This is by far the best monitor I have ever had. My last one was a 2ms refresh rate 24", but Asus. The BenQ knocks it into a cocked hat. Not just by the 1ms refresh rate either. The whole thing from build quality to the menu system, refresh rate to the auto-lighten is just superb. Yes, this model automatically lightens the screen when you are "in a dark place", such as in a game, at night time. The detail is superb and even on an old game like CoD2 (my all time favourite) it really packs a punch.

There is nothing about this product that I do not like.

The performance is superb, the ratings and effects are stunning and the price is unbelievable - I paid under £150 for this "pro gaming monitor", so you will forgive my "e-shouting" when I say BRILLIANT !!! Six Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good monitor, 16 July 2014
Setting up the monitor is really good. It can be adjusted so it is pointing up, down or straight or portrait so you can pretty much set it up however you want. Out of the box you are going to want to go into the settings and find the right one for you. It looked horrible to me at first, so I went in, changed the display mode to sRGB and turned the brightness up and it looked much better.

One thing I don't like is the way half the settings are inaccessible depending on the display mode. For example, I want to make use of the black equalizer but to do that I have to switch to another (worse) picture mode.

Speaking of the black equalizer, it's quite a useful tool, but only because the monitor creates the problem in the first place. My old monitor's blacks were not very black, but as a result I could see things in the black areas. This monitor's blacks are much more blacker, so they give you the option of making blacks worse so you can see things in them. To decide whether this feature is worth consideration you just have to decide: Picture quality or competitive advantage?

Another good thing is that you can set certain quick access settings so you don't have to go through the full menu system to get to it; very useful for me as I change the brightness a lot due to using it in direct sunlight sometimes and darkness sometimes.

This brings me onto the brightness. It's really good. Not quite as bright as my laptop screen, but that's because my laptop is crazy bright. This screen is also really bright and can be used in direct sunlight partly due to the brightness and partly due to the matte finish. When it's dark you can turn it right down quickly and easily.

Picture quality is really good. I've never used an IPS display, so I can't comment on how good it is in comparison to those, but I can say the blacks, contrast and general quality is a large improvement over my 2009 Samsung monitor which was more washed out, dimmer and less vibrant than this. I would expect IPS displays are better for this, however you then lose the 144Hz which is this monitor's biggest selling point.

The refresh rate, I love it. Ever since I realised my laptop had a 120Hz screen I could no longer accept 60Hz on my desktop, so I had to get this monitor. Everything just looks smoother and it's especially noticeable in fast moving moments of a game, for example a replay of your car flashing past or spinning around to shoot someone behind. It also reduces the amount of input lag which is especially noticeable on the racing sims I play.

Yes I would recommend this monitor, it's really good, but I'm in two minds as to whether I should have waited a bit longer to see if a 120Hz IPS monitor or a 120Hz 4K (can my computer even do that?) monitor was to come available, but hey, the longer it is until one comes out the better a decision it was to just get this monitor now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Dec. 2013
I did lot of research for a perfect monitor for gaming and I think I found it! It is just brilliant! Quality of image is not the best, but you are buying this monitor for it's response time. I am using this with my console and I had no problems so far. And talking about the size, it's right about what I need - not too big, not too small. Very nice monitor. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Gaming Monitor to your ps4, 1 Feb. 2014
Ok , i've bought this monitor to replace and old sony monitor that i had ,i bought the ps4 so i thought it was the right time to replace the monitor as well, to take the full benefit of the ps4.
The Image quality is good , not as good as an IPS panel, but i bought this for console gaming not image editing so no complaints there
My old monitor had 8ms response time ,I play a lot of fps , excepecialy cod and bf ,i am not gonna say that 1ms made a huge diference in my gameplay , although the first time i played cod with this monitor i had to lower my sensitivity becouse i felt that the game was responding faster i don't know if that was due to the fact that i didn't play cod for about a week and was playing other games such as fifa.As for my ingame stats in cod well they've been improving but i've been also playing more ,My accuracy is @ 25,54 and my Kd in tdm is 3.01 , maybe the monitor is helping me a bit ,i've never went pass 2.60 kd in any cod.But to me if you really want to improve your gameplay a good Internet conection and a good headset make a way bigger difference , then you can going in details like a 1 or 2ms monitor, a scuff controller , kontroll freeks this sort of things.
In other games ,sometimes i get like a colour ghosting in some objects and edges, like in AC IV , but i just turn the AMA(if turned off monitor goes to 5ms response time) off and it's fine.
As for the monitor itself, it looks sturdy , it's easy to assemble ,for the price i think it 's a great gaming monitor for consoles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best? Close, but still lacking, 2 Jan. 2015
Review 1.0 (I will update the review in February 2014)

OK, so had this monitor now for over a month now, here's the Pro's Con's

PRO'S:
- The best monitor (Asus ROG) is more than double the price of this and it's only slightly better. So this makes more sense.
- I previously owned the 24" BenQ at 1080p, so upgrading to 27" is pretty much the highest you should go when in 1080p, proof of my own good eyesight, everything looks sharp and tidy, no blur whatsoever and I can safely say it's better than 24".
- Tilt/Swivel/Rotate/Raise; this monitor does it all and it holds it steadily
- Input Lag, it is extremely low, infact, it's so low you'll think it's reading your mind when you mash buttons on your controller.
- Speakers are rubbish as expected from a monitor BUT they get the job done! If you're watching something like BBC iPlayer.
- 144hz, nuff said (PC gamers will drool)

CON'S:
- Touch controls are frustrating, sometimes if you press the buttons, they don't work, so you press harder.
- Speaker quality is overall, like laptop speakers: trash but refer to above for the + side of it
- The position can easily be altered if you accidentally push it either from the side or lean on it. Wish it could be secured with a strong lock mechanism
- The menu system is clunky and stupid and ancient, BenQ put absolutely no effort whatsoever, it's an insult at this price point.
- Backlight bleed/uniformity - It's only noticeably when you have a blank screen but we all know how these things are sporadic and are different on each unit. To be fair, it doesn't get in the way of your viewing.
- The price, now I know this shouldn't be an issue if you're buying stuff like this, but you really need to justify it yourself. for the same-ish price, you can get the beautiful Sony W8 Bravia which has one of the lowest input lags on any Tele ever and it's 42" with fantastic colours and contrast, infact it's what I use for movies. Seriously, if you can't justify this price, just get the Sony W8, or the older W653 which is infact technically superior in picture quality,,

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING! Perfect for games like Call of Duty, 2 Aug. 2013
I just received this monitor today and all i can say is "wow". The picture is just amazing, and to start with you can definitely feel the response time difference between an larger TV (which i was previously using) and this monitor. I would recommend this monitor to anyone who likes to play games on a competitive level, as this monitor will definitely give you the things required to take your game one step further and will give you the edge over all other players.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, wish i purchased sooner, 29 Mar. 2014
Overall this monitor exceeded most of my expectations as i was a non believer that 120hz made any difference to gameplay. This monitor has made playing games far more enjoyable as i can play more hours on end without being tired. Not having Motion Blur has made this monitor amazing to play on, much much better than my old one. So are there any bad points, well there are but they have no impact on the game as for me the colours really were lacking, however if you have a Nvidia card you can turn vibrancy all the way up to 100% and immediately there is a huge difference. Also you will need to tweak the settings as they do make for better colours. I would have liked for a much better yellow, however i cant complain as this has been a excellent upgrade. If however you were looking for a gaming monitor but you wanted editing, or to view movies i might suggest you have a second mmonitor for that as the quality of videos is good but there is a noticeable difference after a few minutes but this was purely for gaming so i am happy with my purchase, and hopefully it will last me a few years like my old one :) (no hickups so far)

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Monitor - Although a few things need to be changed, 31 Aug. 2014
I bought this monitor used, from Amazon because it was £50 off and only the packaging was damaged (It wasn't even damaged when it arrived) and so far I'm absolutely loving it, it's AMAZING in fact, probably one of the best I've had. Although I love it so much, there are a few things that need changing and some things you need to be weary about when buying this monitor.

I'll sort it out though pros and cons below.

Pros:
- Amazingly sharp display
- Brilliant viewing angles
- Size is spot on, perfect for the gamer
- Monitor looks amazing, really like the red strips on the base.
- Monitor is relatively thin, this may be troublesome for some webcameras but overall makes the look brilliant.
- Buttons are really nice and the menu is perfect!

Cons:
- Speakers are dreadful, get a decent speaker set or some headphones
- The default display setting (RTS 1) is dreadful for computers, change it to standard (or sRGB) if you're planning to use it for a PC

Even though these points may hinder your thought a little bit. It was by far one of the greatest monitors I've had and I would recommend to anyone without a second thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great, a high end gaming monitor which amazingly, 25 Sept. 2014
J. Bauer "Ivon" (UK) - See all my reviews
Simply great, a high end gaming monitor which amazingly, due to high refresh rates and other wizardry reduces eye strain. Excellent quality and playing games at 144Hz makes for a beautiful gaming experience, no bluring, shadowing or other screen issues. Remember to forget about HDMI, it's capped at 60 Hz use the included DVI adapter to link from monitor to video card and adjust the screen to 144hz.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor but ultimately i had to return it, 21 Sept. 2014
Mr. P. Chagar - See all my reviews
My monitor came with Version 2 firmware

Used this monitor for less than a month and even though it is a very good monitor i had to return it.

The positives:

1)The best stand for any screen i have ever used. You can put it in so many different positions. The base of the stand is quite deep so make sure you have a desk which is quite deep also. Otherwise it will be right in your face.
2)The color is quite good for a TN panel once you have calibrated it (there are a few sites with calibration settings)
3)Response time is excellent. I played battlefield 4 as soon as i got it and it instantly felt more responsive to my old monitor.
4)Lots of different picture options and settings.
5)The remote control feature to change settings is very handy
6)Lots of input options
7)This is a 27inch 1080p monitor some people are a loss of detail but i found this monitor to have plenty of detail in the picture.
8)144hz makes a big difference when when playing FPS games just make your you have a graphics card that can contantly keeps those numbers or its a waste of money.

The Negatives:
1)When playing fifa there is obvious trailing/overshooting when the camera sweeps across the pitch.
2)Even though i have the version 2 firmware and using the blur buster software i found that it caused way to many artifacts and weird image issues. The blur reduction feature for me was kind of useless and i just kept it off with all games.
4)Viewing angles aren't great but expected with a TN panel
5)The touch buttons sometimes dont respond and can be frustrating. You cannot turn the monitor on using the remote control
6)Some screen uniformity. Which is apparent when watching dark movies. Some areas of the monitor are lighter than others which is frustrating.
7)When setting a the monitor to 144hz refresh rate i found that my R9 280x would not down clock when i was not playing games this meant that temps on my card were always high. Switching to 120hz fixed the problem. I googled the issue and it happens to nvidia cards also. So Nvidia and Amd need to address this issue in a driver update.

Ultimately the reason i returned this monitor because for the price and the trailing issues i could not justify keeping it.

But with games like Counter strike or any other game for that matter the trailing/overshooting was less apparent.

Its is a decent monitor but not for every game