So I've had this a week.

Nothin short of fantastic.

Delivery was next day even though I ordered at 15:30 so don't be fooled by the dispatch and delivery times.

Published 3 months ago by Jack Holmes

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent monitor for the price - but not without some niggles
Let me start off by saying that for the price, this monitor is very good and should satisfy most.

Published 9 months ago by Unshou

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent monitor for the price - but not without some niggles, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: BenQ RL2455HM LED 24 -inch W Gaming Monitor 1920 x 1080, 1000:1, 12M:1, 1 ms GTG, DVI/HDMI x 2/speakers - Black/Red (Accessory)

However, there were a couple of issues that I should mention. Firstly, out of the box, the settings on this monitor are terrible - so much so that I thought there was something wrong with it and I was contemplating sending it back. The fonts on small text were really blurry with some ghosting clearly visible around desktop icons as well as text. Similarly the colours were really bad and looked very washed out.

Fortunately, this is fixable by changing the settings to Standard (seems to work best for me) and then adjusting brightness, contrast and gamma to suit. At this point I haven't quite got the settings to a point where I'm comfortable with them yet but I'm sure a few more tweaks and I'll be there.

One other problem is that when viewing the screen colours around the bottom of the screen appeared washed out compared to colours in the middle or top of the screen. It turns out that this is due to the height of the monitor. If I lowered my head, the colours at the bottom of the screen didn't appear as washed out. So in other words, the colours look great if your viewing angle is perpendicular to the screen. Unfortunately the monitor doesn't have a height adjuster - although this was easily fixed by propping the monitor up on a few books.

So whilst neither of these issues are major deal-breakers it's worth bearing in mind when you do first plug it in that some manual adjustment is necessary. That said, for the price, it's hard to complain because the monitor is great once the small niggles are sorted out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothin short of fantastic. Delivery was next day even though I ordered ..., 16 Sep 2014
So I've had this a week.

Nothin short of fantastic.

Colors and quality is amazing. Please note that when wanting to use the 144hz refresh rate that you need to use the DVI cable supplied as HDMI only supports 60hz. I didn't realise this and started to worry.

Worth every penny. Can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT !!!, 21 Feb 2014
Mike (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is by far the best monitor I have ever had. My last one was a 2ms refresh rate 24", but Asus. The BenQ knocks it into a cocked hat. Not just by the 1ms refresh rate either. The whole thing from build quality to the menu system, refresh rate to the auto-lighten is just superb. Yes, this model automatically lightens the screen when you are "in a dark place", such as in a game, at night time. The detail is superb and even on an old game like CoD2 (my all time favourite) it really packs a punch.

There is nothing about this product that I do not like.

The performance is superb, the ratings and effects are stunning and the price is unbelievable - I paid under £150 for this "pro gaming monitor", so you will forgive my "e-shouting" when I say BRILLIANT !!! Six Stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Picture is bright and sharp no visual blurring, 3 Sep 2014
Bought this for my sons gaming pc to upgrade his old 17inch lcd.
Picture is bright and sharp no visual blurring that can be noticed, impressive screen and great clarity, was concerned that it wasnt the very latest tech but needed not have been concerned as excellent quality monitor for gaming.

Only reason gave 4 and not 5 stars as could not get the screen to work using HDMI cable don't know if this is a monitor problem or problem with windows 8.1, if it turns out to be a windows problem then will give 5 stars.
Not height adjustable but that's a minor quibble,excellent monitor go and buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Dec 2013
I did lot of research for a perfect monitor for gaming and I think I found it! It is just brilliant! Quality of image is not the best, but you are buying this monitor for it's response time. I am using this with my console and I had no problems so far. And talking about the size, it's right about what I need - not too big, not too small. Very nice monitor. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great monitor for Gaming, 28 Dec 2013
Read so many reviews about this on Trusted Reviews, You Tube, etc - so upgraded from a really nice Samsung 226bw to this and have not looked back., i have an Xbox 360, Ps4 and a midrange Pc all plugged in with various cables into the ports. Really Brilliant for playing Games as the Colours are Sharp and vibrant , I also use it for watching films, which you can set up brightness etc using
the Hotkeys. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor, bad customer support., 28 July 2014
I bought this monitor a little while back when upgrading from a TV. First off, the monitor was fantastic.
Pros:
• Easy to set up
• Attractive
• Great resolution and response time
Cons:
• Price
• Buttons on the side of the monitor can be awkward
• BenQ customer service

I had the monitor only for a couple of days until I had noticed a dead pixel near the right of the centre of the screen. I figured if would be okay as every company gets faulty items and I would just be able to return it and get a new one. Nope. I contacted BenQ and the first time, they hadn't replied. After waiting a week and a half, I contacted them again and this time they replied and claimed that the dead pixel I had described was not in their policy for replacing (either 3 in a row on anywhere but the centre or 1 in the centre) and they refused to replace it. At this point, I had to rely on Amazon with their fantastic customer service and they posted another monitor when they received the broken one the next day. It's been matter of weeks and it seems okay so overall it's a good monitor minus the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away, better than expected, but annoying menus, 9 Dec 2014
M Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
Would have given 4 and a half stars, but other than some minor annoyances, it is a brilliant monitor.

I was a little apprehensive spending £280 on a monitor, but I was not disappointed with what I received. I was worried that the refresh rate would simply be a gimmick and that the response time wouldn't be noticeable at all, but luckily I was wrong. The response time is fantastic and it feels incredibly natural, to the point that when using monitors at my University computer suites, they feel incredibly laggy in comparison and it takes a while to adjust. The refresh rate is something that has to be seen and felt to be appreciated. I play CS:GO at a reasonably high level (legendary eagle) and it has benefited me greatly, it feels so fluid, and it makes things like flick shots even easier.

For someone not used to big screens, this was a bit of a shock (in a good way). The picture is crisp at a 1080p resolution, I think any bigger than 24" might have bloated the image a bit. The brightness is something that immediately hits you. The smart-scaling feature is also very nice. It's the brightest screen I've used which is good for me, but obviously you can adjust it if that's not your preference. The colours did take a bit of tweaking; I would straight up not recommend using the benq software they provided, it was terrible and made everything look awful no matter what I did. Just adjust with the panel and NVidia settings and you should be fine. Despite being a TN panel, I never think to myself 'Wow, that looks really bland'. There is a good colour range once adjusted, obviously not IPS standard but more than enough for your average user. The stand is excellent, no complaints, very sturdy.

My big gripe however is with the menus on the panel. They are honestly bad. Even with the controller, it was not intuitive (if anything the controller made it worse). Sometimes the touch buttons don't pick up and you have to remove your finger completely for a good second before trying to press the button again otherwise it won't do anything. Sometime the buttons will input twice if you press the button for a millisecond too long. Scrolling through menu after menu to adjust settings is a pain too. Even after reading the manual through, I still don't feel comfortable using it. Another annoyance is the inconsistency. Sometimes when switching between the inputs (going from DVI on my PC to HDMI on my xbox), 1 button of the 5 buttons will represent one input, but other times, it will use the standard arrow system for the exact same input screen. Why is this? So annoying! I could go on, but ultimately, it's something small to an otherwise excellent monitor.

As someone who is usually very apprehensive to spend money, this was a great buy for me, and I would recommend it to any gamers out there, casual or hardcore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good monitor, 16 July 2014
Setting up the monitor is really good. It can be adjusted so it is pointing up, down or straight or portrait so you can pretty much set it up however you want. Out of the box you are going to want to go into the settings and find the right one for you. It looked horrible to me at first, so I went in, changed the display mode to sRGB and turned the brightness up and it looked much better.

One thing I don't like is the way half the settings are inaccessible depending on the display mode. For example, I want to make use of the black equalizer but to do that I have to switch to another (worse) picture mode.

Speaking of the black equalizer, it's quite a useful tool, but only because the monitor creates the problem in the first place. My old monitor's blacks were not very black, but as a result I could see things in the black areas. This monitor's blacks are much more blacker, so they give you the option of making blacks worse so you can see things in them. To decide whether this feature is worth consideration you just have to decide: Picture quality or competitive advantage?

Another good thing is that you can set certain quick access settings so you don't have to go through the full menu system to get to it; very useful for me as I change the brightness a lot due to using it in direct sunlight sometimes and darkness sometimes.

This brings me onto the brightness. It's really good. Not quite as bright as my laptop screen, but that's because my laptop is crazy bright. This screen is also really bright and can be used in direct sunlight partly due to the brightness and partly due to the matte finish. When it's dark you can turn it right down quickly and easily.

Picture quality is really good. I've never used an IPS display, so I can't comment on how good it is in comparison to those, but I can say the blacks, contrast and general quality is a large improvement over my 2009 Samsung monitor which was more washed out, dimmer and less vibrant than this. I would expect IPS displays are better for this, however you then lose the 144Hz which is this monitor's biggest selling point.

The refresh rate, I love it. Ever since I realised my laptop had a 120Hz screen I could no longer accept 60Hz on my desktop, so I had to get this monitor. Everything just looks smoother and it's especially noticeable in fast moving moments of a game, for example a replay of your car flashing past or spinning around to shoot someone behind. It also reduces the amount of input lag which is especially noticeable on the racing sims I play.

Yes I would recommend this monitor, it's really good, but I'm in two minds as to whether I should have waited a bit longer to see if a 120Hz IPS monitor or a 120Hz 4K (can my computer even do that?) monitor was to come available, but hey, the longer it is until one comes out the better a decision it was to just get this monitor now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad backlight bleed, 15 Dec 2014
Faulty unit, replacement faulty too, returned for refund.

the fault was faulty backlight / or over-saturated with Firmware Version 3 / faulty batch. I reset the monitor to color defaults and factory defaults a couple of time but i just couldn't get the monitor to correctly display the correct colour/saturation because of the very bad backlight bleed.

its a real shame, either I got ones from the same faulty batch or its something to do with Firmware 3.

I do plan to repurchase if BenQ can sort of the backlight issue