5.0 out of 5 stars My take on Vicious...
I've watched the current 4 episodes that have been aired of Vicious, and I thought they were brilliant. However, I've noticed that many people have mixed feelings and there are several things that people haven't been happy with. Of course, this is all just my opinion...

Published 13 months ago by Toni Wiltshire

3.0 out of 5 stars WELL WELL
They are both at least five star wizards, but I have seen them in better parts. Where is Richard III and where is Claudius the God? These are the great and you can see them in mufti.
Published 15 days ago by Marquis de Piro

5.0 out of 5 stars My take on Vicious..., 21 May 2013
This review is from: Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)

The most prominent upset was about the joke whereby Violet thinks Ash is going to come out of the bathroom and rape her. I'll admit, I was a little shocked by the joke too. But people seem to have jumped to the conclusion that because Violet isn't "attractive", that is the reason why Freddie assures her "no-one wants to rape you". I disagree. I think it's more that Freddie doesn't immediately assume Ash to be capable of rape just because he is a young man. Violet is the one to jump to this conclusion, and I think Freddie's reassurance is more angled towards the fact that he doesn't immediately assume because Ash is male, he's going to run out of the bathroom and rape the first woman he sees.

Yes, the rape joke was a bit startling, and I understand completely where some people are coming from in their analysis of the joke, but that's my take on it. I wouldn't disregard the show as a good programme just because of it.

The second thing I noticed was people being angry that they sometimes refer to each other as "she". Now, I can understand why this irritates some people. The stereotype of women's behaviour when presented by men leading to them being given female pronouns is something that can be considered offensive. However, I know gay men who refer to themselves with female pronouns on occasion. So, to each their own on that front I guess. You have to remember, they're portraying two gay men, who probably would categorise certain behaviour as particularly feminine and thus refer to each other as "she". For example, when Stuart is upset by Freddie's harsh words and gives him the silent treatment. Also when Freddie feels threatened by Ash's success and acts in a more loving manner. They refer to each other as "she" because they are each acting in decidedly feminine ways according to them. And as a woman even I can admit, they're fairly accurate. I don't know any guys who use the silent treatment. But again, to each their own.

The other offence people are taking is that the characters are very stereotypically gay. I agree wholeheartedly. Despite this, I think Stuart and Freddie are awesome characters. Freddie is a bit eccentric and talks with his hands a lot. This could be seen as a result of him being a gay man, or alternatively because he's an actor who has worked in theatre. Maybe he just talks with his hands. Stuart fits the stereotype a little more. His voice is occasionally high pitched and he does a lot of the stereotypical "gay" hand gestures.

But some gay men ARE like Stuart and Freddie.

I think the fact that the programme portrays two gay men as the protagonists, with the focus not primarily being on the fact that they're gay but two men who've been in a relationship for a long time should trump the fact that yes, they're a little flamboyant.

But surely having a programme about two gay men who have been in a long term relationship and none of the typical "dead, evil, or unfaithful" characteristics have appeared, this should surely be deemed a success by the LGBT community?

So many gay couples on TV don't have a chance to develop their relationship because one of them dies, or turns evil, or cheats on the other. This programme shows a faithful old couple, whose only negative trait is that they take the piss out of each other. But the love between them is evident. Vicious is showing us what an old gay couple can be like.

It's hard to create gay characters that fit everyone's ideal since all gay people are different. So yes, this show has fallen into the stereotype a little, but that's better than nothing, right? And I don't think the two actors Sir Ian McKellen & Sir Derek Jacobi would play the roles of Freddie and Stuart if they felt they were damaging to the LGBT community.

I think the show is awesome: it shows two men who've been together for a long time, acting like a relatively normal old couple. Obviously, certain things are exaggerated for entertainment, but if they weren't it wouldn't be interesting. But it presents us with the norms associated with a couple who have been together for a long time. I know my grandparents are similar.

And I think THAT is the focus. The normalcy of an old couple. Not the fact that they're a bit stereotypical.

If anything, I think this show is giving us something we've not seen before.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the wonderful days of fun and political incorrectness!, 14 Jun 2013
Really love this show.
I have to admit that the writing was a little shaky at first with many of the jokes not being anywhere near as funny as they thought they were being. I also found the voice projection as if everyone was on a theatre stage a bit distracting. But it all grew on me and the final two episodes were priceless (in particular the barbs over the dinner table when Ash's girlfriend comes to visit and just about every moment of the final episode).
These may be stereotypical portrayals of gay men, but as a gay man myself I can assure everyone that there really are hundreds of Stuarts and Freddys in the real world! And to be honest, I hadn't even noticed that the two characters often refer to each other as 'she', but this too is the way 'Queens' often talk.
Special mention goes to Frances De La Tour who is absolutely priceless and often threatens to steal every scene she's in.
Bottom line is that this is not meant to be 'sophisticated' comedy but rather a return to the bawdy fun and refreshing 'politically incorrectness' of the likes of Hi Di Hi, 'Allo, 'Allo etc and is all the better and more enjoyable for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Laughed out loud, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
There are many BAFTA winning comedies that leave me completely straight faced. I hate the prolific swearing that seems to pepper so many scripts. Vicious - I agree - is not for everyone, being very very OTT, but I found myself laughing out loud from the first episode. Yes, some of the themes could be offending to some viewers and this opinion can be respected, and to some extent understood. But Sir Ians delivery is faultless, and Sir Derek is a perfect foil for his character. Added to this, there is an underlying and subdued gentleness about the storylines which I found appealing. The supporting players are few but seem to be chosen with care and the overall formula works like a dream. Frances De La Tour is totally on form. The unseen and ailing pet dog in the kitchen is a further source of hilarity. Personally I hope that there is a second series but sadly I doubt it.

5.0 out of 5 stars VICIOUS - IT SURE IS!, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
My wife and I have been following this series since it started and we find it very funny.
Vicious by name and Vicious by nature - the writing is sharp with superbly cutting jibes and vitriolic asides. What makes this so funny however is the quality of the cast - hearing Sir Ian McKellen say B****x for example - would be crude in the hands of a lesser actor. But the delivery from the two Knights is spot on and their timing is a lesson to all who want to work in comedy.
The nature of the relationships gives this sitcom an old fashioned feel - I think I read a review in the newspaper that it was "made to be shown in the 70's". Although this was meant as a put down the 70's produced some of the best remembered sitcoms and this should go down as a classic!
I am SO pleased that the PC brigade find this objectionable because it mirrors real life in some ways.
I love this show and hope it gets another series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ashford drama lover, 15 Dec 2013
C. Rogers - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
this start of a new serious [I hope] is a wonderful and very clever piece of drama......... I would recommend t to anyone who loves the English language and the way that under tones can cause laughter

5.0 out of 5 stars Caught the show on TV, 7 Feb 2014
Peter E. McGovern "Cavanman" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Although I bought this as a gift, I did catch the show on tv when it was broadcast. I found it a little mildly amusing for the first episode or two, but once I got familiar with the characters I thought it was very funny and looked forward to seeing it each week.
The snide and bitchy comments from the characters are very well delivered by the fantastically talented Sir Ian McKellan and Sir Derek Jacobi (or should that be "Dame"?)
Roll on Series 2 :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Betwixt and Between, 6 July 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Uncertain is a word I might use about this series. Vicious is the tale of two Gay men, Freddie, played by Ian McKellen, and Stuart, played by Derek Jacobi. They have lived together for 48 years, but Stuart has not been able to find the 'right time' to tell his mother. Freddie and Suart live in a flat in London filled with all of their old keepsakes. In Freddie's case, it is his acting awards, in Stuart's case are the urns with the remains of their friends who have died off.

Freddie seems the most vicious to me with his words, but they seem to make up soon after Stuart is finished pouting. Both of these characters play stereotypical Gay men. That is my dilemma, is this a good thing in this day and age? Into this flat, a young man named Ash , played by Iwan Rheon, arrives, looking for a new apartment. Since he is so handsome and young, they both quickly invite him in. Much of the first episode is guessing whether he is straight or Gay. Joining them is Stuart's friend, Violet, played by Frances de la Tour. What her role is, except to identify what their squabbles are all about, I am not sure. It may be that she provides some humour. I wonder if the young Gay crowd will be attracted to this show. I found it somewhat humorous except for the constant viciousness. But, after all the series is named, Vicious. I found the next three episodes to be much more charming.

Recommended. 07-05-14

5.0 out of 5 stars Old queens like this are a dying race., 25 Mar 2014
Phillip B Shaw (sydney, N.S.W. Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
What a fantastic series, small cast of "ALL STARS" The bitchiness they show towards each other is exaggerated but entertaining.
I have known camp old queens a bit like this years ago in the 60's that used to uses this sort of patter but mainly for the fun value of it, just like this script does here too. I hope series 2 is on the way Derek Jacobi is really wonderful and loveable. It terrific to enjoy him in this and in "Last tango in Halifax" two completely different roles and he is brilliant in both. Frances de la Tour as Violet is great too, you can see they had a hoot on set with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun., 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is by far my most used TV series DVD. As a duo, McKellen and Jacobi are absolutely fantastic. From the very beginning, they are believable as a couple, lovable (and vicious, of course!) as characters and perfect in their comedy timing. Frances de la Tour is also fantastic. In fact, the entire cast seem perfect together, especially when all together on screen at once. I have read some reviews about people being offended or upset with some of the jokes or stereotypes included in the series, but personally I think the world just isn't as thick skinned as it used to be. The point of the series is to be comedic and entertaining and it absolutely succeeds with no insult made to the LGBT community (of which I am a part of). After all, if such a thing was intended, I doubt McKellen or Jacobi would have taken part in the production since they are both part of said community! Also, check out the extra bits on the DVD for the actor's take on the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Mar 2014
Mr. James D. Davidson (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
A master class in situation comedy from Sirs Derek and Ian and every member of this superb cast. I have gay friends who have been in a monogamous relationship for 45 years and this is their favourite programme. I hope there will be many more series of this brilliantly written, produced and performed instant classic.

Vicious - Series 1 [DVD]
Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] by Ian McKellen (DVD - 2013)
8.50