5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant router
Published 11 months ago by Maulana Pir Nakhshbandi Sahib

2.0 out of 5 stars Uneven performance, and a serious flaw...
My previous router was an ASUS Dark Knight, which I finally chose after testing several other routers. It's been reliable and quick, although it was always poor when it came to serving wifi to my PS3. This Linksys then, had to be at least as good to stand any chance of supplanting my trusty ASUS.

Installation was standard stuff and took about 10 minutes. Once...
Published 2 months ago by Philip

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant router, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Linksys EA6700 Dual Band AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router with Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 (Personal Computers)
Was debating whether to buy this or the highly rated EA6500. Found a brand new EA6700 on eBay for 119 so took the plunge. This is primarily a router for cable or fibre connections, however i'm using it on my 18 meg Talktalk ADSL2+ line connected to a Draytek Vigor 120 bridge modem and it works like a charm. In our 3 storey house, the wifi reaches every nook and cranny and the router copes with ~ 15 connected clients without breaking a sweat. Our desktop upstairs has an Asus PCE-AC66 wifi card and this card connects at the full 1.3 gbps to the router on wifi AC...just like having your pc connected by an invisible ethernet cable. Buy it, you won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of Kit!, 6 Oct 2013
Bought this to replace my Netgear WNDR3700 which has recently kept on dropping wifi connections. I am definitely impressed with the improved range and throuhput on this one, expecially on the 5GHz band. Can safely say the wifi signal reaches everywhere in my 3-story house with no more than one or two bars drop in connection strength.

Drop one star as I would have to agree with previous reviews saying the setup can be cumbersome, it seems the overly simplified setup software built into the router is prone to crashing - I had to do a factory reset and was able to complete set up the second time around.

Once setup, this router is definitely top notch though!

2.0 out of 5 stars Uneven performance, and a serious flaw..., 17 May 2014
Philip (Stafford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Installation was standard stuff and took about 10 minutes. Once up and running I ran various speed tests on several devices, some upstairs (right next to the router), and some downstairs through several walls. My results all use my Virgin Media 120mbit connection:

iPad Mini Retina - 802.11n 5ghz
ASUS Dark Knight - 117mbits (upstairs), 88mbits (downstairs)
LinkSys EA6400 - 127mbits (upstairs), 127mbits (downstairs)

iPhone 5 - 802.11n 5ghz
ASUS Dark Knight 47mbits (upstairs), 40mbits (downstairs)
LinkSys EA6400 - 92mbits (upstairs), 42mbits (downstairs)

Playstation 3 - 802.11g 2.4ghz
ASUS Dark Knight 14mbits (downstairs)
LinkSys EA6400 3mbits (downstairs)

Playstation 4 - 802.11n 2.4ghz
ASUS Dark Knight 4mbits (downstairs)
LinkSys EA6400 4mbits (downstairs)

For my Apple devices, performance was improved from the already impressive levels achieved by the ASUS. My Playstations though, went from poor to even worse. I don't know why Sony's wifi is so slow, it's been bad with every router I've tried, and on multiple PS3s. Curiously I've always found Xbox wifi to be worse again, so slow as to be completely unusable. I can't really put it down to the house, as my Apple devices have no problems in any area of the house.

The router also has DLNA support, which I wasn't able to test as I don't have a spare hard drive to hand. There are also some LinkSys apps you can download for iOS and Android which allow remote access to the network, to block certain services, monitor network activity, and share media. Surprisingly these apps are not free, so I didn't download any of them.

Overall then a very nice router, if you live in an Apple household.

UPDATE - For the past couple of days the router has been capping my broadband at 30mbits. I assumed it was my ISP (the always unreliable Virgin Media) acting up again. After several router and modem reboots, the speed stayed at 30mbits. Out of curiosity, I plugged in my old ASUS router and as if by magic, normal 120mbit service was resumed. Needless to say, the Linksys will no longer be serving up internet in my home.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice, fast router with some good additional features, 17 July 2014
Peter A. J. Bennett (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review covers my initial impressions of the router. I will update it when it has been running for a couple of weeks to indicate how reliable it is in real use.

On unboxing one is presented with a large rectangular "slab" of a router, not ugly but not a thing of terrible beauty. It comes with a UK plug and, whilst it was not too much of a problem, quite a short cable.

The "getting started" booklet is clear and concise.

First, you plug the router in and then you wait for it to initialise.

You then attach to the wireless network with a PC and connect to the router from a browser. You can set everything up manually but I chose to follow the wizard.

First you can change the ssid(wireless network name) and password. Or you can chose to leave them at their (secure) defaults.

Then you give a password for the next time you access the router's control panel.

You can set the router to "auto-update" so it always has the latest firmware (it says it will do this overnight) but I found that I had to do the first firmware update manually from the control panel once I had completed setup.

If you wish, you can create a Linksys specific "smart wi-fi" account which lets you access your router settings from anywhere in the world (and even from a smart phone app). A little scary - set a strong password! Setting up this account was very painful as it involved an almost impossible to decipher captcha. These don't normally cause me any problems but this time I only succeeded on my tenth attempt (and only persisted for the purposes of this review).

I found the wireless network setup to be flawless and simple. My PC upstairs (with a AC dongle) was able to access the full 120MBps of my cable modem internet connection. I used the speedtest website from the PC to validate this. The router itself has an option to test connection speed but was only registering 32MBps so something is not quite right with that method.

Strangely, wired setup of my XBox One was more tricky. In the end I changed the IP address of the router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1 and this seemed to solve the problem and be what the XBox was expecting. The Windows 7 PC connected in the same way was happy with either approach.

The router has *very* basic parental controls (you can set up times when specific devices can/can not access the internet and you can build up a blacklist of blocked sites one by one). I don't think this approach is really up to the job and I would rely instead on third party software or my ISP to block adult sites.

More useful is the ability to connect a USB drive to the router. This is exposed as a network share with the same address as the router so you can just open up Windows Explorer (or the Mac equivalent) enter \\192.168.0.1 and it appears as a remote drive. This is a very nice feature. By default the share has no security but you can set up a password on a folder by folder basis as you wish.

My initial impressions are that this is a nice enough router. Time will tell but I am not sure I am going to remain impressed enough for it to permanently replace my D-Link Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Cloud Router which has been running my wireless network for over six months without any issues.

I'll update this review once it has had the chance to prove itself in day-to-day use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Home Router, 27 Feb 2014
The CD-based user guide shows how to wall-mount the router (has a full-size template for drilling the holes) using the moulded slots on the base of the router. Some Product Descriptions say'wall-mountable'. There are NO slots, just 4 tiny feet with very little airspace. It is a table/desk top unit. My unit heated the formica more than I was comfortable with. It is now on little feet to reduce the heating. 4 stars only.
Set-up is very simple provided you follow the instructions exactly. I replaced a Netgear router and forgot to change the old Netgear USB wifi dongle setting to connect to the new Wifi network name. Spent 30 minutes dealing with Window's attempts to find drivers and Linksys smart wifi attempts to fix things. Very confusing. Back to the the start, changed the USB network name, connected quickly, all done. The wifi covers the house, I've connected TVs, Kindle, laptops, cellphones easily & quickly. it seems too easy. Product runs faultlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works - and really well, 3 Jan 2014
So simple to setup
So much faster than my previous 'free' TalkTalk supplied router
Great for multi-media devices (Apple TV, Samsung Smart TV, Samsung BlueRay,Yamaha AV Amp)

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, looks good with great performance, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read many of he other reviews and was a little concerned about some of them (especially the one that says he's been capped at 30mbs). I know this is a pain as my Virgin Superhub by default is slower than it should be for extra range (which was awful anyway). I recently got the superb TP-Link TL-WDR4900 which looks odd with its three aerials. This is a far better looking unit, with no aerials protruding. It was easier to setup than the TPLInk (which has a very geeky interface for networking terminology fans). The performance of the Linsys was similar to the TPLink but the range wasn't quite as good but far superior to the useless Virgin Superhub.

Overall, if you're replacing an existing freebie such as a Virgin Superhub then this is a really good buy. I would also shortlist the TL-WDR4900 as well as it has fantatsic range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart and easy to set up, 26 Jun 2014
Chris L (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unit looks good which is important I guess if you have it visible. Set up is very simple and to be honest the range, although criticised elsewhere I found to be fine. There are cheaper units out there (hence the loss of a star) but you are getting the comfort of Linksys branding and support. In short if you want a middle range WiFi router you could do a lot worse than this unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy To Set Up, 18 Jun 2014
wicket2005 (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Smart looking wi fi router, easy to set up and use. Larger than average with no protruding parts. Works well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great (but instructions could be better), 17 Jun 2014
Apollo 11 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had this up and running for three weeks now and, living in a two-floor house, it's served us pretty well. Some folks have complained that it's complicated to set up - and to an extent, I agree it could be simpler. There's little instruction beyond some basic steps; and I think this could have done with a couple of paragraphs on what it actually does - and how. I say that because the fact this booster doesn't just spread extra signal, but in fact has the facility to offer specific streams to named devices (including a 'guest' stream for visitors) is great... and actually simple to set up once you're running.

That said, getting this going is a bit trial and error... and there's a curious mind at work if, once they've told you to unplug your existing router in order to supplant this between it and your computer, they advise you to consult a web page if you're struggling to make sense of it all. Personally, I got by just plugging the thing in and making some educated guesses as to what I was supposed to do - but for the first ten minutes I could be found cursing the makers for sending something so bizarrely lacking in basic instruction.

But... once you're up, it's good. That said, like all routers, it can't do the impossible and push strong signal through brick walls. So if you're on separate floors and opposite corners of a house, you're still likely to find yourself walking your iPad closer in order to get an extra bar of signal.

But, for the money, I'd say (and it does seem that most of the boosters out there lack instruction) it does what you need!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›