5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Great Product, super fast delivery!!!!!!!!!!!
Published 3 days ago by Nigel W.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!
I bought this game purely for the multi-player mode, which is generally great in Call of Duty games, however I have been left bitterly disappointed with it. Problems are as follows:

Published 7 months ago by memorygraphic

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

(1) There are far too many players using wallhack and aimbot cheats. I know this is common in most multi-player games, but it is particularly bad in this game when you are guaranteed to have a few during each match getting 40 kills and 5 deaths.

(2) There is a new unlock system based on 'squad points', which take a very long time to get. You get about 2 squad points per game (if your lucky), even then to unlock a weapon you need about 8 points then 6 points for each attachment. You also need to unlock the perks if you want them early.

(3) The weapons are not fun. I used to have loads of fun with the Riot Shield but its not the same and due to the number of cheaters its pointless.

(4) Guard Dogs are harder to kill than humans which just doesn't make sense.

(5) Maps are boring.

(6) You only get three custom soldier slots, you have to spend 20 squad points at a high rank to unlock others which is ridiculous.

(7) There is usually sudden lag just before you get close to an enemy player. Annoying if you like to use the combat knife or riot shield.

It is definitely not worth £40, maybe £10 at most.

I probably will not be buying another Call of Duty game after this, unless it has glowing reviews. Wish I read some reviews before I trusted the Call of Duty brand.

2.0 out of 5 stars The definition of insanity is..., 15 Nov 2013
J. Wilson "FaultlessDark" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I was never a massive fan of the World War II COD games - it started from a time that the games market was inundated with games about WW2 and I'd had my fill. Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942, Brothers in Arms - ugh, I just got sick of having it thrown at me as much as I'm sick of Zombie games now.

So when the original Modern Warfare was released I gave it a shot and loved it. I enjoyed the single player; getting to bombard people in AC130's was a nice little change from shooting things up and some of the interactive set pieces were interesting to experience (being dragged from a taxi to be executed and sniping in Pripyat to name a couple). And the multiplayer! "wow! they have an unlock system! you can customize your guns!" this was all very new and exciting to me.

Each game since, however, has seen me losing more and more of the reverence I once had for the games. Before we go any further, Since MW I used to play the series religiously and buy the games on release day, with the exception of World At War for aforementioned reasons. I devoted so much time to the COD franchise that I would sleep for 4 hours and play the spare time I had outside of work. However this desire to play began to ebb away since Black Ops was released and something dawned on me; It's the same thing, year in, year out.

COD: Ghosts just confirmed this to me, effectively closing the 5 year love affair with the franchise in two 2 and a half hour blasts of single player on veteran and a handful of games in multiplayer.

I'll start with the single player campaign: The game tells the story of Logan, his brother Hesh and their dog Riley on their quest to join the mysterious spartan-esque ranks of the Ghosts and fight against the South Americans who are invading the US after they hijack weaponised US satellites and turn them on their former owners. This setting opens up the player to use a host of near-future toys and weaponry (although more rooted than Black Ops 2's almost sci-fi weaponry) but doesn't do so much for plot. The characters are your typical chest-beating "HOORAH!" yelling American meatheads and all the way through it the only character I felt an actual interest in was Riley, the German Shepherd. I won't give anything away but the story and dialogue of this particular installment is, in my opinion, poor. In MW3 I wanted to see Price through to the end to get his revenge for Soap, even if Soaps death scene was a little crappy, in Black Ops it was predictable that Reznov was dead and a figment of Mason's imagination - but it was still interesting to see how it all panned out.

In Ghost's however, I just purely didn't care. There's a guy called Rorke hunting Ghosts, we want to stop him. There's no elaboration like who is Rorke working for, who's pulling the strings; all we get is a 30 second loading screen cut-scene explaining how he was captured and mentally broken down until he became a Ghost hunting psychopath and even then the details are pretty thin.

Gameplay wise: Have you played any other COD game since Modern Warfare? Welcome back! glad to see you! There really isn't much else to say on the matter. The game is still the same "follow the AI, do as they say, hide behind cover, shoot, follow the AI..." lather, rinse, repeat intersparsed with a sequence where you remote control the dog (seriously!), use a remote sniper turret and storm a radar base with tanks, none of which provide any "THIS IS COOL!" moments. The game almost feels like it's on rails sometimes, the AI NPC's dragging you down a linear path from one firefight to the next. Sure there are a couple of set piece explosions, like when a damn bursts or a high-rise collapses with you in it, that look good but I felt there just wasn't that much enjoyment in them. 4-second long big events in a 5 hour campaign don't really stick with me that much - you even get to play in space for a bit but its just the same thing floating. All in all, singleplayer just seems like a setting to justify the multiplayer portion of the game, which the majority of you would have or will be buying the game for.
Multiplayer is the same old story with a couple of twists thrown in - you can now create soldiers with different loadouts for each (and they've also added female soldiers in it too this time round) and you can not only customise loadouts but also customise how they look. I think this is a neat addition and allows you to give your own soldiers your own personal touch, though when you are in actual games I can tell you nobody gives a rats-ass how your soldier looks and eventually you won't either. My major gripe with multiplayer is the maps, In my opinion many of them feel far too big for the amount of players in a lobby and even the smaller maps a sizeable campers havens. The last COD game I played where I thought the maps were just right was MW2, Skidrow in particular being my favourite map of all time. Maps like skidrow and high rise almost forced you to play as a team, with one or two central choke points in the apartment halls and a handful of back-alleys for the crafty ones to sneak down and flank the opposing team. MW3 and Black Ops 1 and 2 also followed this formula though a little more open and even though I found them tricky to get used to I learned to love them after a couple of games.
I can't say the same for Ghosts, however. Maps seem geared towards rewarding the lone wolves - the people who mercilessly sprint about with a tac-knife or SMG or the campers who stubbornly sit in the same far-off-room with a marksman rifle surrounded by IED's. There are too many narrow corridors, too many dark and dingy rooms in a map to speed through or sit in. Every game that I have played has always boiled down to who can hide the best or run the fastest and it makes for many frustrating deaths or rage kills. I've also found that Spawn-trapping occurs frequently, sometimes the game just throws you back in right around the corner from someone on the opposing team who will promptly shoot you in the side of the head after only two paces forward.

The newest addition here is the Extinction mode: a four-player co-op game obviously designed as an answer to Treyarch's Zombies mode. In this mode your tasked with planting a nuke in an alien hive while using a drill to take out smaller hives along the way. Compared to Zombies this game mode is frantic and fast paced and also a little less surreal. Unlike zombies the Aliens in extraction are darty, agile, fast moving little gits that can easily dodge your shots and close in on you very fast, some of them have ranged attacks and you can find it very easy to get cornered and battered if you don't keep moving. Unlike Zombies the mode awards XP, which can be used to unlock perks and killstreak rewards to take in to the games with you although there is no weapon unlocks. You start off with a standard pistol and are awarded cash with kills and completed objectives - just like zombies you use it to purchase weapons and items strewn around the map, however the neatest little touch is that you can search objects in the map to find cash and goodies, mainly attachments for your weapons. Each perk that you can unlock and equip with your XP can be levelled up in game by completing wave-based challenges (such as get only melee kills while the drill takes out a hive) and these upgrades make your skills and killstreaks more potent. Extinction is by far the best addition to this game - it's fresh and gives something that the other portions of the game don't, which is something new.

Performance wise I run the game maxed out on a Radeon HD7870 with 8GB of ram and maintain 60+fps. All of you PC gamers out there know that if you buy a game and you only meet the minimum settings, you're going to have a bad time and this is especially true of this game. COD Ghosts is not very well optimised for PC and there were even a few parts where the game would freeze and hitch frequently, though recent updates to the game seem to have alleviated this. Now the game runs a silky-smooth 60+fps constantly, though online lag will cause the game to hang momentarily rather than rubber-band you. The game also has a 6GB minimum RAM requirement and god knows what they were thinking, because the game barely uses 2GB. There are fixes and hacks that can get around this though they are obviously at your own risk.

Pros:
Despite what first impressions may be, the game does look slightly better than other COD games, this is especially apparent in textures
Extinction mode is fun and fresh
Performance has increased since latest patch.

Cons:
It only looks slightly better than other COD games. Light mapping is still a joke and this is apparent when someone switches on a torch in a pitch-black room and nothing happens.
Multiplayer, while fun, is still just the same thing. The same turd rolled in a bit of glitter.
Multiplayer maps are poor and geared towards rewarding campers. Spawn-killing also happens more frequently than it should.
P**s poor single player story.
Singleplayer only took me 5 hours playtime on veteran and I imagine this will be even less on lower difficulties (I died a lot)
Singleplayer feels linear and often like you're on rails - there's very little freedom involved other than who to shoot at first
Despite the patch, you can still tell it's poorly optimized for PC - the 6GB minimum limit is a massive joke.

In Summary:
Very few games give be buyers remorse, but it's sad to say that COD: Ghosts has. After finishing singleplayer and blasting around on multiplayer I remembered why I stopped playing the predecessors - I got bored. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome and COD: Ghosts was the game that helped me realise that. It's the same thing, just dressed up, slapped on the ass for good luck and sent out the door with a hopeful, anxious smile. It's a game that I've tried so hard to like because I have such fond memories of playing it's predecessors with my friends but along the way I forgot that the reason I liked the original Modern Warfare and Black Ops games was because they did something new and found a radically different setting, letting us use modern weaponry and attach stuff to it like we were wrapping Christmas presents - but the sparkle has gone and throwing in a remote-controlled dog and a survival mode with aliens is in my opinion not enough to justify paying so much for a game - especially one that I feel I've played too many times before.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hacked to high heaven, 28 Nov 2013
G. Coope "Anim" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Game runs really well on my mid range PC but the amount of hackers running freely since release (5th Nov) is stunning. Got to prestige 3 so I know the difference between good players and cheaters. Almost every game now, totally ruined Multi player and Infinity Ward are just silent on the issue regardless how much we shout and complain. Save your money, buy something else or wait for an announcement on the issue. Just look at the top leader boards to see how bad it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bugs, glitches and "unfinished", 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This is a big release and you fully expect that it gets care and attention. I received the game on the release day and there are fundamental issues with the quality and testing in Multiplayer mode.

The single player mode works fine, looks fantastic and is relatively enjoyable to play. I have all setting maxxed out and there are no real problems so far.
Multiplayer....well, that is a different matter altogether.
I run an SLI card, and there was flickering(strobing) on many game elements, such as the gun sights, your watch and many in game elements such as trees. When SLI was disabled, this resolved the issue. Folks with a single graphics card may not experience this, but I am running a GTX 590, which is effectively 2 cards "glued" together and bridged with SLI. To play this game, I need to go into Nvidia control panel and manually disable the options.

Other issues are that the mouse loses focus in Multiplayer menus and then then game itself. I have managed to find a "workaround" which is to toggle the vertical sync option (Sync every frame) from Yes to No, or if set to No, back to Yes. Weird.

In game options, such as when you die, offer a menu to change player by left or right clicking on the mouse. These simply do not work. Other players have confirmed this is not just me.

There is a serious lack of player education, so you have to guess your way through the menus and what options do what are only hinted at with a few words. I am lucky to play among friends where we work it out together, but if I was solo, this would be as confusing as heck. Remember the days when you got a manual to get the best of your game?

The gameplay itself, when you get in and it works, is OK, although very console-oriented and appears to favour the run and gun style, rather than anything which is more akin to military tactics.

Single player looks great, multiplayer looks "consoley" and the graphics are, in my opinion, far simpler and less enhanced than Call of Duty Black Ops 1.

When the patches come out, I may amend this review, but paying that amount of money for an incomplete and bug-ridden game is shoddy. It is like buying a car where it is delivered without the windscreen and the manufacturer stated "we will sort that for you out later, but you can still drive the car".

2.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions - Wait till fixes or price drops, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
First impressions are, as much as people are probably going to hate me for saying this, it is not the worst game in the world. Now before you click that unhelpful button and comment to call me scum, read on.

The Good
Erm... It is fun to play if you can run it.
Like the new game modes, especially blitz, extinction and hunted

The Bad
The game stutters as if I was trying to play the original modern warfare on a toaster sometimes.
NO FOV SLIDER!!!! That is my biggest gripe. Motion sickness aside it is still too low.
Graphics are not much of an improvement, if at all. In fact I dare say I have seen xbox games that look better.
40gb+ install and 6 gig of ram? Where on earth is all that going?
Obviously no effort put in.

So why am I still giving it a three star rating? Because I do not mind it. Please keep in mind this is a first impressions more than a proper review, but if you have over the minimum requirements, and LIKE call of duty, then why not give it a go when the price comes down a bit.

-----
As Much as I do not want to do this. I am going to have to reduce the score of this to Two stars. Having spent some more time and attempted to record a video on it, which stuttered a lot. It is obvious that Infinity ward do not care about the PC Community. Sorry PC COD Fans, we are not wanted in cod central. Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go and do terribly at battlefield instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars UNPLAYABLE even with GTX 780 !!, 17 Nov 2013
Derek A. Brawn "Studio Del" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I'm so disappointed that I pre-ordered this PC game on Amazon. I should have waited for the early player reviews.

My PC specs i7 OC'd to 4.5GHz, 16GB 1800 MHz RAM + GTX 570 OC'd (so high spec gaming machibe) + 50 Megabit/second fast broadband.

This game is virtually unplayable due to so much L-A-G and spluttery and jittery screen graphics, particularly during combat. You see an enemy, you open fire, firstly the aiming & panning is like staccato or stroboscopic - it is that bad. Secondly, you cannot see players until after they've already shot you. Thirdly you re-spawn directly in front of enemies with your back to them??

One star for the great new maps, however screenplay leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, the new weapon kit-out is not intuitive at all, but you can learn this over time. Hopefully graphics & game play will improve too.

Footnote: I've alternated between CoD MW3 and Ghosts and my PC gameplay is superfast in MW3 then a couple of mins later it is pedestrian in Ghosts, then back to MW3 and fast again => not my PC but the software/servers.

EDIT: following some research online and having watched numerous tutorial videos on YouTube uploaded by those having similar difficulties (and there are a lot btw) I did manage to eliminate the Screen STUTTER by downgrading my Video options -> No Motion Blur, only 2X Anti-Aliasing, turning off certain features, setting Textures to 'Normal' and not 'High' or 'Native', also setting the Window to "Window No Border" instead of "Full Screen" and so on. Now the game runs smoothly albeit with inferior graphical experience.

However, there is still the Game Lag, due to lack of dedicated servers for PC players, and possibly due to deliberate software code that assigns random lag (or lack thereof) to certain players to vary their experience (i.e. to give weaker players the chance to win, thus increasing sales/revenue for successive generations of the game => this is the current marketing 'conspiracy' theory doing the rounds.

Finally, another important NEGATIVE point is the RE-SPAWN directly in front of enemies and get shot in the back straight away only to RE-SPAWN again in front of another enemy and die again. It seems some experienced players now know how to game the system and camp at re-spawn points to get multiple successive kills. This kind of predictability detracts from both the play-ability of this game and the real-life (supposedly)first-person shooter simulation that its supposed to be.

2014 UPDATE - TOO MUCH JUDDER + LAG = UNPLAYABLE, EVEN WITH AN NVIDIA GTX780. I'M PRESTIGE 20 ON MW3 AND CANNOT EVEN GET A SINGLE KILL ON THIS GAME????

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not get it to run, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Every time I started the game I got a Windows error message. After a number of communications with Activision they eventually acknowledged there is an issue that many people are experiencing and as yet they have no fix and just asked for my patience.
Not happy at all

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame for PC owners, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I pre-ordered Ghosts back in October and couldn't wait to play it on release, it took quite a while to install from the four dvd's, once it was installed Steam downloaded another 2gb which I assume was a patch, once this had finished I clicked play to find out I didn't have enough ram (I guess I should have checked but it wasn't an issue with all the previous games), I had 4gb but it needs 6gb! I ordered some new ram and installed it. Finally I was able to play the game, it's a bit different to the other COD games where you don't switch between the different characters in the story which I missed in this game, having a dog in the game was ok at first but then it felt like a gimmick after a few missions. I decided to try the multiplayer but it didn't recognise my Nvidia GFX460 card even though the min specs say it should be ok, at this point I was getting quite frustrated with the whole situation, it feels like PC players are no longer catered for even though it's where the original COD games came from. Fair play to Amazon for excepting my request for a refund which they have done, I've uninstalled the game and I certainly won't be getting the next instalment when it comes out in a years time.

Just to say the single player campaign was ok it had it's good moments but it's really nothing new. I hope this helps in some way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it for PC, Get it on console!, 21 Nov 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I was looking forward to a change from Call of Duty: Black ops 2, I knew it would be very similar to Black ops 2 and that is what I expected but what I got was a locked Field of View, Capped frame rates, Terrible stuttering, A very disappointing campaign and a 50-60GB install!

This game was obviously a terrible console port (Meaning they took the console version and didn't change anything to modify it for computer use). I am a very passive person who will stick with something even if it doesn't look promising and I must say, this was just abysmal.

If you don't care about the multiplayer and are just interested in the story then there is about a 6-7 hour play time for you.

tl:dr

- Terrible console port
- Low frame rates even for mid/high end computers
- Very short story
- Doesn't look any better than Black ops 2
- Get it for console and not PC

Recommendation:

If you want a great next gen PC title, get Battlefield 4!

Electronic Arts Battlefield PC DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars It is time to bury the franchise, 28 Nov 2013
Griesmayer (Wien, Österreich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
It looks like the makers of Call of Duty themselves had realized that the series is dead, and the only reason to keep releasing a title every year is to keep the money making going for as long as possible. That's the reason why it is aptly named Call of Duty: Ghosts. A shadow of its former self. A "yet another" instalment that, frankly, few people have been bothered to buy if you look up the sale statistics for previous CoD titles, especially Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops 2, both having crossed the 20 MILLION copies sold boundary.

The multiplayer looks, feels and plays EXACTLY like the Modern Warfare 2 or Modern Warfare 3 engine. This so-called "Next Gen" Call of Duty title as promised by the devs was a flat out LIE. Sure, multiplayer maps now have certain points where you can trigger an environmental kill (read: pre-rendered, partially destructible maps) but seriously? That had to be advertised so boldly?

And no, I am not paying $60 to watch less than a handful of graphically beautiful scenes such as the space station scene in the beginning of the game, the rainy jungle foliage swaying in the wind at night scene, the underwater diving scene or the burning platform scene. These are so few and far between that paying standard retail price isn't worth it, and they alone certainly do not make this a next gen title.

The funny thing is, apart from those few scenes, Call of Duty Ghosts maxed out actually looks WORSE than Black Ops II maxed out. Just as an example, compare the water surfaces found in both games. The water in Black Ops II rivals that of Crysis. So at the end of the day, you are paying premium for MW3 gameplay with new maps. At least when we got Black Ops II, we were introduced to a near future setting. This is ripoff at its finest.

Speaking of ripoff, let me spell it out for you: THIS GAME ONLY SUPPORTS DIRECT X 11. Meaning if you have a Direct X 10 GPU (like a Nvidia GTX 295 which can max out all Call of Duties to date at 1920 x 1200 including Black Ops II) you CANNOT EVEN START THIS GAME!!!!

So let me get this straight....a game, that looks worse than its predecessor (which happens to run flawlessly and fine on my GPU) now needs a more modern GPU to even start?

No, this isn't even ripoff. This is flat out highway robbery.

There's even a crack on the internet that allows you to play this game on a DX10 GPU card. Now what does this mean, kids? Exactly - the Direct X 11 requirement is a purpose-built GAME LOCK and not a hardware requirement for this game to run. It's once again Nvidia and/or ATI stuffing money into the orifices of triple A game developers to release games with artificial hardware locks so that SHEEPLE LIKE YOU go out and pay the $$$ into their grubby, greedy hands to buy a new graphic card to play a game that has s***ty graphics in the first place.

Such a hardware lock had already been the case when Crysis 3 came out (but even it got a fanmade Direct X 10 patch). But it was easier to fool people, given that that game ran on Cryengine 3.

This on the other hand - this game is a prime example...simple enough to make even the lowest common denominator understand, of how this kind of middle fingering the industry is giving to its customers at the moment has reached a new low.

A 0 out of 5.

Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD)
Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC DVD) by Activision (Windows 7 / 8)