5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic suspense at its best
This is the third Lisa Marie Rice that I have read and so far, she hasn't let me down. All three novels, Dangerous Secrets, Midnight Run and now this, Woman on the Run, are all 5 star reads. This book is steaming hot plenty in action and suspense. Love the characters, especially the fine residents of Simpson. Highly recommended, looking forward to her next books!
Published 6 months ago by c. constable

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars
This was my first book by this author.

Have to admit, in the first few pages, I was wondering if I would finish this.

We have Julia Devaux, who witnesses a mob murder.

Published 2 months ago by Peabody

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Woman On The Run (Kindle Edition)
This was my first book by this author.

Have to admit, in the first few pages, I was wondering if I would finish this.

We have Julia Devaux, who witnesses a mob murder.

And what are her concerns upon being told she has to go into the Witness protection programme? The name she has been given. "That's ridiculous" Julia Devaux snapped testily. "Do I look like a Sally" And that is hardly a huge spoiler, it is the 2nd line in the book.

Now at this point, I am thinking, if you have witnessed a mob hit, and the mob guy has put out a bounty on your head, I would be grateful for any help and assistance I could get.

But she agrees to it, although not before we are given a full breakdown of her history and "pedigree" to understand just how sophisticated she is.

Off she goes into witness protection and it feels like it has to be pointed out, repeatedly, just how sophisticated she is compared to where she is now.

"She had found two suitcases full of clothes waiting for her at the airport. All stodgy, dull, shapeless and unfashionable, made from material manufactured in some factory in China that used under age labor.......one thing for sure - she did fit right in"

"Who dresses this Guy" she thought "Elmer Fudd"

"She had been banished. Frederico Fellini, her beloved finicky cat, was in a foster home. Would his foster parents remember to feed him only the choicest cuts of meat and take him to the homoeopathic vet"

She gets invited to someone's house for the "macaroni special", and ofc she is off thinking "visions of her favourite trattorias in Italy swam before her eyes and she almost wept. Gorgonzola and penne. Amatriciana. Pesto" only for her to be disappointed when she discovers it is "she just cooks noddles for about an hour until they are nice and soft and then adds ketchup and cheddar and shoves it on the oven"

"In her mind all the males she had met had either been married since they were twelve or lacked a faculty or a limb or struggled to reach 3 digit IQ's"

"Julia's mother had managed to find a turkey for thanksgiving in Dubai, pumpkins for Halloween in Lima and a Christmas Tree in Singapore"

"She walked on cracked tiles, eyeing the crumbling plasterwork and yellow water stains of the walls. A far cry from the posh private school she had attended the year the family loved in Rome. It had had a Tiepolo fresco in the auditorium. "

This was all in the first 4% of the book. It did not make me sympathise for and with Julia, it almost had me rooting for the hitman to find her in all honesty.

And I do not even want to get into the ridiculousness of someone who is an editor, being put into witness protection and having to pose as a teacher and being in charge of a classroom of little kids, with no experience of being around little kids, or teaching, yet seeming to get on very well with it

But then enter Sam Cooper, who saved this for me, and Julia started to grow on me. Sam is a big quiet man, and his inner dialogue when he is thinking about how much he likes Julia, or actually wants to jump Julia is humorous and endearing. "Foreplay, foreplay, foreplay. Cooper repeated the words like a mantra to himself as he drove back to Simpson and Sally.....Maybe he should smack his forehead against the steering wheel to keep some blood in his brain so he could remember.
Foreplay, foreplay, foreplay.
He was not going to pick Sally(julia) up, strip her, pin her against a wall and shove his cock inside.
Not not not."

It had good cast of secondary characters that you actually cared about. and they were all so happy Coop was finally getting laid

And I liked the ending, I have read that a few ppl maybe had an issue with the abruptness of the ending, but I liked how it was done , Sam, who had been pretty much a one word man, at the end, is chattering away with Julia trying to get a word in, and it just ends with "Cooper" she said lovingly "Shut up".

All in all, it was a solid 3 stars after a shaky start for me, but I do not know if this would inspire me to read any more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic suspense at its best, 6 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 24 May 2013
Fabulous book!
I haven't read a lot of romantic suspense novels and certainly never one from this author but confess to being blown away by it! I really wasn't that intrigued by the idea of a woman on witness protection acting as a teacher whilst meeting and falling for an ex Navy Seal but boy was I in for a very pleasant surprise!
From their first meeting which was hilarious and involved the heroine Julia Devaux hitting Sam Cooper(Coop) over the head with a pumpkin of all things to their very steamy and passionate relationship there was nothing that I didn't like. This hero puts the T in taciturn! Truly a man of few words but boy did he provide action! A sensitive and caring heroine and well fleshed out supporting characters made this an interesting story.
I will confess that I realised who the "bad guy" was but then I do read an awful lot of fiction and i am sure many readers will be pleasantly surprised by the ending of this book and the epilogue was especially sweet! I will also admit that I just sat and read this in one sitting and ignored housework as it was that good.
Would I recommend this book? Definitely! Will I try more from this author? Silly question as the answer is one hundred per cent yes!
I would give this 5 out of 5
I was given a copy of this free for an honest and unbiased review

Woman On The Run