on 16 July 2013
Only had this laptop for few days. Already loving it. It is sleek, solid and light.
After checking the specs and finding out it is Celeron powered I had not much hope. Boy was I surprised. Performs just as my Core2Duo 3GHz desktop. Quick to boot, fast to respond and will fly through everyday tasks. Battery life is excellent too. Obviously HDD will bottleneck a bit when launching demanding applications however, simple upgrade to SSD and you will be flying. Processor is more than capable and RAM amount is enough. If you buying to upgrade RAM - looks elsewhere. Procedure is very tedious.
In terms of software - you are getting the best, that is 64bit. Windows 8 itself is more of a joke in my opinion. However, with new update on the way you should be able to get rid of the Modern GUI and proceed as planned. Can't blame laptop on software though - you can simply install Windows 7 on it and proceed as planned.
Negatives? Can't think of any. Screen viewing angles are fine, CPU is fast, has enough RAM, HDD has decent performance, webcam is there, USB 3.0 and SD reader present, battery life is great, has full size keyboard.. All positive, especially considering it's price. Recommend.
on 31 July 2013
Purchased this for my wife who needs a device for e-mail and web. She likes a 'proper' keyboard, so a tablet was not an option. The price was good (I also paid less than currently shown) and it performs well. The only slight negative is Windows 8 and the dreadful new version of IE. However I installed Google Chrome and everything works.
on 7 August 2013
I have had the Asus X501A for a couple of weeks now and I love it. I had only ever used Windows XP and was dreading getting used to using Windows 8, but it is not difficult to personalise or use. I don't understand why reviews I read on it tended to be bad, although I did dedicate a few hours to setting up my laptop and playing with Windows 8 to get used to it, which I would recommend.

The laptop itself is sleek,the keyboard is nicely spaced with good responsive keys. I do have quibbles though, which is why I gave it four stars and not five. The finish on the laptop is a really nice; until you touch it! Finger prints show up really badly, even when used with clean hands and they do not wipe off easily.

I am no computer buff, but I did manage to set this laptop and a micro tower up without having to call a computer expert, which I was pleased about, but I think there should be some sort of instruction as to how to use and access the 'D' Drive, I have not found anything of help from Asus, so at the moment I still have 157GB of storage that I am not sure how to use.

The last quibble is that I spent a few hours setting up this laptop, which is mine, but when I set up the HP micro tower, which is for family use the two computers automatically exchanged settings, so any changes I made to the tower were also applying to my laptop. It was only after a few hours of frustration and research that I found out that Windows 8 is set to automatically 'sync' computers in the same house. I had to go into Windows 8 settings and 'unsync' them. I think that having a sync option is good, but I do not think that it should be an automatic thing on setting up Windows 8, people should have to opt into it as now my name is administrator for the tower and I haven't figured out how to change that yet.

None of my quibbles have made using this Asus laptop any less pleasurable; it is fast, lightweight and real value for money. I would not hesitate to buy another one if we needed another laptop.
on 2 July 2013
The product arrived really quickly, it is quite big but i am starting to get used to it. The Battery is good last around 4-5 hours (not bad) and its fast compared to my old Samsung netbook. Anyway i love this product and would recommend it to anyone. At first i didnt like Windows 8 but i found out i can change it to normal desktop version and also i am starting to like Windows 8. Gaming is alright well for what i want to do (play angry bird). All in All its a great product, thin, light and big, and i would definitely recommend it to my friends.
on 23 July 2013
This laptop has replaced an ageing desktop that had the windows xp operating system. My mother in law has enjoyed getting to grips with windows 8 and this laptop, although by no means a high performance computer is sufficient for her requirements such as surfing the internet and sending email.
on 30 July 2013
Nice and handy, very easy to use and I would definetely recommend it. A brilliant product. It was worth the money.
on 7 July 2013
Bought this to replace my four year old toshiba which was on it's way out and considering the money off currently, I think that this is a bargain. I got it for £229 with the discount. Screen is sharp and sounds are clear. Best thing is the instant start: literally takes seconds to start and sign in whereas my old laptop sometimes took around 40 minutes!

When I first unpacked I was a bit worried that it appeared a bit thin and flimsy but looking around at other models [samsung etc] realised that this is normal for new models that don't have dvd drives. As per a lot of these new laptop reviews, think that people give low stars due to windows 8. This is unfair as the system is fine once you get to grips with it, just gotta give it a chance!
on 5 October 2013
Really pleased with purchase. Jumped from XP to windows 8 and cannot see what some reviewers are complaining about 8 for. A little work to tailor Start screen to your taste and bobs your uncle. Agree that case does show greasy finger marks easily (fixed by buying brighter colour) but feels solid and light in weight. I paid 300 euro in Ireland and at this price its some piece of kit.
on 12 August 2013
My previous laptop had a motherboard failure making it uneconomical to repair, so after checking around locally and online I decided that this laptop would do the job of replacing my old one, despite my reservations about Windows 8. But I was pleasantly surprised the laptop was quick and responsive and Windows 8 was no problem really after taking some time to find my way round it. All in all a good sharp screen and picks up my WiFi better than any laptop I have had before. Can't fault it especially for the price its a steal
on 8 May 2014
I bought this laptop on price, specification and reputation - as Asus did the original builds for the well received Nexus tablets.But I would not recommend this laptop. It comes with a plethora of what I consider to be at best junk and at worst bloat software pre-installed. A google search of " asus junk software" results in over 900,000 hits. There was no recovery disc(s) supplied - you have to create the recovery ISO images your self.The mother board failed under guarantee. The build quality is poor - search YouTube for "asus x501a disassembly" for a view of what it looks like with the bottom cover removed. The top, keyboard and bottom cover flex more than I have experienced on any other netbook and laptop that I have owned; any slight pressure on the top cover distorts the screen. In use the keyboard will frustrate you as the tactile feed back is poor and the space key often fails to register so touch typing is impossible as you'll be constantly manually editing your typing inserting spaces. A google search of "asus space bar" resultsn in over 1,000,000 hits the YouTube video for the Asus X54C illustrates the problem on the X501A exactly. A return for repair under guarantee did not remedy the problem. The MMC card reader support is poor and there is no blue tooth support.