5.0 out of 5 stars Help, Thanks, Wow. Amen
Published 24 months ago by Jorja Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly short
This is the first Of Anne Lamott's books I have read, although I have been very impressed with some of the quotes I have read from her other works. A very good, truthful perception, dealing with pain and suffering and the human reaction to them. However, I found the work very short, and had expected more material on the subject.
Published 23 months ago by Susie P

5.0 out of 5 stars Help, Thanks, Wow. Amen, 9 May 2013
Jorja Davis (Marietta, GA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Help, Thanks, Wow (Hardcover)
Lamott encourages her readers to "not get bogged down on whom or what we pray to." Rather one should identify prayer as communication from our hearts to "something unimaginably huge and not us." Her slightly irreverent humor allows one to experience the distillation of anything one says "to the amazing energy of love we are sometimes bold enough to believe in" regardless of the name we attach.
In Help, Thanks, Wow Lamott has identified the content and context of prayer that asks for assistance, that appreciates the good we witness, and that expresses one's awe at the world. These are the words that get us through the day, and show us the way forward.
Through anecdotes and stories she puts skin on those times one can be in motion, and stillness, and energy - all at the same time. All three prayers are the beginnings of a conversation with God about anything - barely, honestly, bitterly, insanely or brokenly - "probably the best possible conditions under which to pray."
The simplicity of theses three prayers opens the complexity of our lives, our relationships, and our world into our messiest places and our greatest needs. Like flossing one's teeth prayer must be repeated until it becomes habit, not because we can get our way, or can change God, but so God can change us, so we can "pray constantly between bouts of trying to live life on life's terms."
Whether a beginner or veteran user of the spiritual discipline of prayer, Lamott, once again leads us to breathe, to slow down, to pay attention so no opportunity to love and help God's children, including learning "to love our depressing, hilarious, mostly decent selves." Although most of the formative pieces of Lamott's personality, sense of humor, descent into and ascent from addiction, deep spirituality, and intentional writing are mostly caught in the reader's peripheral vision.
This is one book I want to take up space on a shelf, because she speaks to my meaning through her meaning formed by words seemingly strung along, but intentionally placed.
Other titles by Anne Lamott:[...]
Novels
* Hard Laughter. Viking Press. 1980. ISBN 0-670-36140-2.
* Rosie. Viking Press. 1983. ISBN 0-670-60828-9.
* Joe Jones. North Point Press. 1985. ISBN 0-86547-209-2.
* All New People. North Point Press. 1989. ISBN 0-86547-394-3.
* Crooked Little Heart. Pantheon Books. 1997. ISBN 0-679-43521-2.
* Blue Shoe. Riverhead Books. 2002. ISBN 1-57322-226-7.
* Imperfect Birds. Riverhead Books. 2010. ISBN 1-59448-751-0.
Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Anne Lamott
[edit]
Non-fiction
* Operating Instructions: A Journal Of My Son's First Year. Pantheon Books. 1993. ISBN 0-679-42091-6.
* Bird by Bird : Some Instructions on Writing and Life. Pantheon Books. 1994. ISBN 0-679-43520-4.
* Traveling Mercies : Some Thoughts on Faith. Pantheon Books. 1999. ISBN 0-679-44240-5.
* Plan B : Further Thoughts on Faith. Riverhead Books. 2005. ISBN 1-57322-299-2.
* Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith. Riverhead Books. 2007. ISBN 1-59448-942-4.
* Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son. Riverhead Books. 2012. ISBN 1-59448-841-X
* Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers. Riverhead Books. 2012. ISBN 1-59463-129-8.

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars so hows your praying?, 21 Jun. 2013
J. DOUGLAS "Johnny Douglas" (Nr London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Help, Thanks, Wow (Hardcover)
For me the best prayers are sincere and short! Anne Lamott would seem to agree.

Story, reflection and insight are the mainstay of this compact volume full of wisdom. It's poetic, meandering and an easy two hour read. As Lamott describes it, asking 'help' is about the courage to stop, gratitude in time results in changed behaviour and 'wow' is the recognition that God keeps on giving.

This is an accessible and fresh guide to prayer, attractive packaged in a coffee-table style volume. Ideal for those unfamiliar with faith. A winsome, fresh and provocative book worth reading, as is all of Lamott's writing.

The simplicity of these three prayers opens the complexity of our lives, our relationships, and our world into our messiest places and our greatest needs. Like good hygiene, prayer must be repeated until it becomes habit, not because we can get our way, or can change God, but so God can change us, so we can "pray constantly between bouts of trying to live life on life's terms."

You and I could well do with more 'help, thanks and wow' prayers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly short, 2 Jun. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Help, Thanks, Wow (Hardcover)
I bought this book after reading about it at memoriesfromcloverlane.com. It dit nog let me down! Anne Lamott has found a wonderful voice writing about this subject. Her writing appears to be effortless, and reaches out to a very, very broad spectrum of readers. I admire her for that. Sarah from Clover Lane is a devout Catholic, and her recommendation actually turned out just fine for me, as a member of a pretty liberal Dutch church. (I won't bore you with a detailed review of the Dutch christian landscape...).

3.0 out of 5 stars very short and not exactly I've changing, 14 April 2014
S. Cassidy (Belfast, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks: The Second Essential Prayer (Help, Thanks, Wow) (Kindle Edition)
This was a bit of a disappointment really. A very short read with nothing very interesting nor amusing to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this author, 25 Jan. 2014
This book either read by itself or with its two companions is a reminder for us to stop and thank our creator for all that we have. Ann Lamott shows us once again how to stop and see God.

5.0 out of 5 stars beyond uplifting, 5 Nov. 2013
Iman Ben Chaibah (dubai, United Arab Emirates) - See all my reviews
Absolutely loved it! It makes you believe again and have faith, and allow ur self to be vulnerable enough to ask for help. Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll read anything Anne Lamott writes which is why I bought this. And it is lovely., 3 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Help, Thanks, Wow (Hardcover)
This is a good book to have on your shelf for easy access when you need a reminder (after you've already read it once or twice). It is also a great gift to others. Anne Lamott always writes straight from her gut/heart/wisdom and never fails to reach that level in readers, at least me.

5.0 out of 5 stars God and Laughter, 11 April 2014
Lynn Ross (Brodick, Isle of Arran, Scotland) - See all my reviews
God and Laughter

Anne Lamott takes a light-hearted look at an essential subject. The only three prayers we ever need to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars witty and helpful, 4 Jan. 2015
I would recommend this as a great interesting way of relating to prayer. Accessible, and has certainly inspired me. .