on 21 January 2015
Beautifully written supernatural tales. I was gripped but these are not jump out of your skin shockers they are subtle meditations on the living as well as the dead.
on 16 February 2015
Some of the stories werent bad, but some were a bit weird for my tastes. Have actually only got half way through all the stories so perhaps the rest arent bad too.
on 19 January 2014
I enjoyed all of Kate Mosse's other stories but this collection of short stories makes great travel material and are the ideal length for a quick distraction.
on 29 March 2015
Once I started reading I could not put this book down. Each story get you involved and you can't wait to read the next page to see what happens. I loved it.
on 2 December 2015
A quirky little book with some of the author's early work. Also interesting were the added notes on sources of, or inspiration behind the stories.
on 5 January 2015
not read yet but looking forward to it as have enjoyed immensely all her previous books. they have all gripped me from the very start.
on 9 January 2014
I assumed this book would have had some eerie and spooky ghost stories in it. All the stories are fairly short and not one produced a shiver of dread. It is well written but not a patch on her ghostly novel Winter's Ghosts. One for the kids really.
on 17 December 2014
This is to be a Christmas present, but it was requested, and I'm sure will be enjoyed. Arrived in perfect condition.
on 14 November 2013
Having read Kate's trilogy set in Carcassonne which I absolutely loved I was disappointed in these stories.
Firstly I thought they were all going to be set in France (this the fault of a synopsis I read) so I was off to a bad start.
Secondly I find the 3 stories I have read to be very "thin". I read one out loud to my husband one wet and stormy night in France when the only alternative was French TV and neither of us really understood it from the flow of writing, although we both guessed where it was heading very early on in the tale.
The story set in Carcassonne was very predictable after the first page although this maybe because I have read the other books in on this theme and in this style.
I have to be honest and say I haven't read all the stories yet as I am uninspired to go on, although come another inclement evening I will probably start reading again in the hope that there will be at least one story to impress me.
I think these may well have been written before Kate's rise to fame so perhaps she was just developing her niche and because I have now read her other books I find this a let down.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 April 2014
"The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales" combines in itself two of my guilty pleasures - short stories and spooky stories! I found myself enjoying Kate Mosse's collection of scary stories, inspired by ancient folklore and legends both of England and France. And then there were fragile and sometimes eerie illustrations by Rohan Eason (I loved them so much that I even googled the artist!).

"The Mistletoe Bride" is a collection of 15 pieces (one of which is a play), most of which are richly populated by spirits, revenants, ghosts and one's own guilt. The compilation begins with the titular story of a young bride on her wedding day, who gets lost during the game of hide and seek, never to be found.

This is an enjoyable and atmospheric set of tales (some better and more scary than the others, I think only once was I somewhat spooked, reading "On Harting Hill" late at night), but once you finished, it's a rather forgettable collection. That does not mean that I did not enjoy it. I did!

I did not like "The Winter Ghosts", but this anthropology made me add the Languedoc trilogy to my wish list.