5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, Portable and Long Life Battery....
I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation, and I promised that my review is fair and honest.

Published 15 months ago by Dario

Published 10 months ago by AnonymousPenguin

1.0 out of 5 stars Deceptively advertised. 6000mAh at 3.7V = 4440mAh at 5V! 5V is the normal USB voltage, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Anker® Astro Slim3 6000mAh Ultra-Slim Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with Built-in Micro USB Cable for USB Devices (Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This product is noticeably more expensive than the slim2; however, it appears to be the exact same product with slightly different labeling. The previous one is labeled as having a capacity of 4500mAh (unknown voltage), while the new one is labeled as having a capacity of 6000mAh at 3.7V. Some basic maths and knowledge of physics tells you that the two capacities are the same. Power*time=voltage*current*time

Misleading labeling does not end here. The product is specific to out-put 1A, which is a lot. However, this is at 1.5V, which is 300mA at 5V. 5V is the normal USB voltage.

I don't want to bother sending this back and buying the slim2 which is 7GBP cheaper. I do, however, feel properly ripped off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, Portable and Long Life Battery...., 11 Sep 2013

The product is aesthetically very nice and well done. It is accurate in all its details, and it is pleasant to the touch. It is very thin and it has the dimensions of a Samsung Galaxy S4. It has similar height, width and thickness. It is just a little bit heavier nut the weight is very light and everything is in favor of portability. You can easily carry with you in your pocket like a mobile phone without any problem.

The very simple package includes: the battery Slim3 of course, a little manual, a cable usb-microusb (pretty short, about 30cm) for charging and an 30pin adapter for iphone 3gs/4/4s (it only works for charging and not to synchronize). It has also a built-in and not removable micro usb cable that is very useful if you have a device that need a microUSB connector to be charged, a little less in other case, such as an iphone, because then you will need to connect an adapter. There is also a second USB port where you can connect, for example, or a second device to charge it simultaneously, or to connect the cable for iphone 5, for those who haven't an adapter or simply to connect a longer cable. Missing a bag to carry, not the battery because it is pocket size, but to bring the usb cable and the adapter.

It is extremely easy to use. You connect the built-in cable or a usb cable to the secondary port to a device, and without pressing any button, it starts the recharge. At the end of the recharge, the battery is automatically turns it off so to not consume and discharge the battery. It is equipped with 4 LEDs that indicate the state of charging of the battery while it is charging a device and when it is recharging itself.

As for the duration, with a fully charged battery, I've charged 4 times completely my iphone 5. Twice form a residual charge of less than 10% and other 2 times fora residual charge at around 50%. After that, the last LED blinked which according to the instructions indicates a residual charge of less than 5%. I guess that's a good result.
As for the speed of charging of a device, it has 2 ports, both of 1A, so it will be indifferent to which port you connect your phone that the charging time will be the same. It is also possible to connect 2 devices together and charge them simultaneously. The charging time is similar to the original power adapter. To fully charge an iPhone 5 it takes just over 2 hours. As to recharge the battery, the input port supports power up to 1A, common to all cell phone chargers, such as the iphone one, then you do not need to buy a new and specific charger. You can also charge it through the USB port of the PC, but since the power of the USB ports of the PC is at 0.5 A, the full charge will be extremely long. With an iphone charger for a full charge takes about 8/9 hours. During the charging the LED blinks to indicate the charging status. After charging LEDs turned off so you will know exactly when it is fully charged.

I would recommend this product to those who are often away from home for long periods and doesn't bring a normal charger. I would recommend also to who wants to spend a weekend out since that you can easily do even 4 charges. Having the built-in cable short enough, if you are using it for charging will be forced to put the phone on the battery. it is not a problem but if you have to answer the phone while it is charging, it may be a little uncomfortable because you have to handle 2 things with one hand. To the iPhone owners it can be a little uncomfortable given the bigger dimensions but not enough to prevent its use.

I don't recommend instead to charge a tablet, because the 1A port will be slow to charge a tablet. It could be used for emergency if you have low battery.

A weakness, which for me was not insignificant, is that it hasn't adapter for iphone 5.

I also have 3 other products of the Anker, Astro Mini, Astro E4 and Astro Slim2.
Among the Slim3 , the Mini and the E4, I consider this one the best. Compared to the Mini, this is far better, considering that with the mini you can do a little more than a full charge, the charging time is similar despite lower mAh and you will not lose anything in terms of portability as it is larger than the mini but is by far thinner so that it will not be a problem to carry it in your pocket.
Compared to the E4 this is even better because, it is true that the E4 has a stratospheric battery (you can charge up to 8 times an iphone or 4 times an iphone and once a tablet), but it is also bigger and heavier, all factors against the transportability. I consider it more like a "professional" product so i suggest it to those who use more assiduously phones and tablets and to those who are for long periods of time away from home.
The Slim3, at least for my needs, it is the most suitable. I can stay out of home all day without the fear that your phone will running out of battery and, at the same time, i'm not forced every day to recharge the battery of the slim2 for fear of running out of battery the next day.
Instead, compared to the Slim2, this is slightly larger (the Slim2 has dimensions similar to a iPhone 5), slightly heavier (40g more) and obviously has a bigger battery , 6000 mah against 4500 mah of the Slim2 .
That said, between them I prefer the Slim2, both for the closest size to my phone (it is easier to handle when I use the built-in cable) and for my needs (more than two full charges are enough for me) but this doesn't mean that this is undoubtedly a great product.

To summarize the main strengths are: extreme compactness of the product, long-life battery, ability to charge 2 devices at the same time.
The main weaknesses are: built-in cable and cable included short and the absence of an adapter for iphone 5.

I hope that this review will be of help.
Dario

4.0 out of 5 stars it really does hold its juice., 16 Jan 2014
Pros; Good looking piece of kit, well made, very portable, super fast charge with on board cable, good delivery (traceable) and well packaged, gives my Xperia S three full charges.
Cons; it takes a long long time to fully charge (Zzzzzzz), it does get hot when charging phone (with on board able), no case.
Summary-I do like it, to be honest I can't do without it. However, due to the Cons it gets 4 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely designed product, 20 Aug 2012
I contemplated a number of products before finally deciding on the 3200mAh Anker. I intend this to provide my phone with extra charge whilst out walking & using the phone as a GPS - I tend to find that after 5-6 hours of this kind of heavy use my phone runs out of juice!

My requirements were:

1. Able to provide roughly one full charge of my Samsung Galaxy Note (2500mAh battery)
2. To be slim enough to not really notice you are carrying it in a pocket (thickness is more important than width and height here). I compared it to an iPhone 4S and it is slightly shorter, but pretty much the same width and depth.

I also liked the following about this item:

1. It had a built-in light, which I will actually find quite useful
2. It had a built-in Micro USB cable, making it more compact than having to carry around a separate cable.
3. The price was very reasonable

Once in hand, I was impressed with it's build quality and weight and, comparing it to my workmate's 5000mAh I was pleased I ordered the lower capacity version - mostly due to the excellent form factor.

Today I decided to perform a test to see how efficient battery to battery power transfer is. I ran my phone down until it asked for power & charged it until the (fully charged) extended battery ran out of juice.

The recharge took 3 hours and took the phone from 16% to 87% battery before running out of power. The phone was on during this time - the previous 3 hours had used 16% battery, so I assumed that the battery usage over the charge period would be the same. Here are my observations / calculations:

- The battery provided my phone with 71% charge
- Including usage, this equates to 87% recharge
- The 3200mAh Anker battery therefore supplies about 2175mAh of actual charge to the phone
- The efficiency of the battery-battery charge is therefore 68% (I guess this is to be expected, but may improve slightly after a few charges)
- The speed of charge is identical to charging from the mains adapter, despite only being 0.6A output.

In summary:

Positives
- Superb form factor
- Capacity suits my personal requirements well (allowing me to walk for 10 hours rather than 6 is more than sufficient!)
- I like the integrated MicroUSB cable
- I like the built in LED torch
- I expected the 0.6A output to adversely affect the charge time of my phone, but this was not the case.
Negatives
- I was hoping for slightly higher efficiency. Although the device is 3200mAh, after losses this equates to around 2200mAh in the device you are charging. I suspect a 68% efficiency is fairly standard for all these types of devices, so take this into account when you choose a capacity.
- The built in cable would be even better if it were slightly longer.
- The only converter lead in the box is USB to Micro USB, so you would have to use your own cable if you wished to charge something that doesn't use MicroUSB - e.g. an iPhone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Nov 2011
Excellent little emergency charger / powerbank. charged my galaxy s twice with a little to spare. This suggests that the 3200 mah stated capacity is reasonably accurate. It has one micro sd plug which hides inside the case so no need to carry a cable around with you for most android phones. Also comes with longer cable with another micro usb plug on the end. It comes with 2 sockets one standard size usb for charging ipods ect, it charges at around 700 ma. The other socket is a micro usb for charging with your standard android wall charger. A good sign of this product is that while charging it gets slightly warm as you would expect it too when the charge indicator nears full the unit cools off indicating that the charge is being controlled correctly. The size is very small and neat. The finish is a shiny piano black. on the whole the unit looks and feels good quality. The 4 led indicators showing how much capacity is left seems accurate. Cant comment on the little.torch as i wouldnt use it tbh but hey its there and usable. All in all a great little device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 8 May 2014
Love this. It's become my goto charger. It's small enough to carry round with you but holds enough juice to give one and a half full recharges to my phone (Moto G). It's light and has a built in micro USB cable and a USB port. It also has a torch light and indicators that show you how full it is.
I don't like the torch as it's too easy to turn it on in your pocket (and drain the battery). But overall this is the best portable charger I've got.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Saviour for Your Phone, 22 Oct 2014
Excellent and well designed. It is about the same size as a normal smart phone.

It charges/recharges at about 0.5% per minute; e.g. it increases the charge in my Samsung Core phone by 50% in 90-minutes.

It will charge a normal smart phone about twice so that should be enough for travelling and if you get bored at an airport and use your phone heavily to watch videos or listen to music. I bought this because my phone was flat when I arrived at an airport and could not call my wife, nor the office, nor the airport car park company to come and collect me. So this 'power bank' will save me in future.

The cable/mini connector tucks nicely away for travelling so it will not get lost. The case is matt black.

It is supplied with a separate cable to connect to a USB charger but a charger is NOT supplied. Apparently you can plug into your PC USB to charge up this battery but a separate small 5v USB charger is far more convenient both when travelling and at home/office.

The price of £20 is about average for 6000mAh power banks which are heavily discounted nowadays owing t0 the intense competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly slim and light., 13 Dec 2013
I have bought various battery packs in the past and none are as well designed as this one, especially with the built in cord. It is well designed and feels like a quality product. Simple to use and fits easily in your pocket or against your phone if charging and calling at the same time. I use it with a solar pack when camping and it is a great way to keep emergency back up power for your phone, mp3 player, lighting or tablet etc. Great value if you get the discount price on here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Help my charger has died!, 10 Aug 2014
My anker charger has stopped working after just 10 uses. I need to contact the company directly but haven't had any success and am travelling abroad for one month on Wednesday. The whole point of having this charger was to make my life easier when travelling and now I have nothing. Anker rep pls get In touch and rectify this urgently

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim & Light And Delivers ! Great Product., 29 Nov 2014
This is the first of various Anker battery packs I bought for the company, and after a long period of using them all, I can attest that it charges an Iphone 4 from 0%-dead-self-shut-off, exactly 280% - thats 2x 100% full charge and 1x 80% of full charge. And its pretty consistant. This pack is just the size of an Iphone 5, weighs nothing and easily fit any pocket. In the field, I tried 'rubberbanding' my Iph and the pack together and the continuous delivery of power far outweighs that little xtra size and weight.

Actually a bit tired of listening to people whining about this and that pack is 'too big and weighs too much'. Whats a matter when someone cant walk around with a pack, 150-300grams at most (various power sizes). Its nothing. Be happy you didnt live in the early 90's and had to use a pack back then! Or a cell phone for that matter.

Anker is no1 for not only the quality of their products but for an outstanding customer service.